Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 06:43 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times

Advertisements

The prosecutors and detectives on this case should be absolutely ashamed of themselves for failing to properly scrutinize the evidence presented to them, as should the judge for failing to throw the case out.

One-time top Calif. football prospect exonerated

Quote:
During a second meeting that was secretly videotaped, she told Banks, "'I will go through with helping you, but it's like at the same time all that money they gave us, I mean gave me, I don't want to have to pay it back,'"
Apparently the accuser won a $1.5 million verdict against the school district where the fabricated "attack" took place, and was worried that coming forward with the truth would put that cash in jeopardy...

EDIT: He was already freed after serving his sentence at the time of his exoneration.

Now for those of you who support the death penalty for rape - how would you avoid executing innocent individuals such as this one? You never quite manage to explain that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Sexual assault, read rape has TWO defenses:

1. It wasn't me.

2. It was consensual.

The police can only conduct an investigation based up what what told to them. Very rarely is there strong physical evidence back a victims story.

Now, if the police told this victim to pound salt and something happened to her, just based upon her "story." You would be the first whiney individual crying the police don't listen. They listened and presented the case to the district attorney, based upon this lying bimbo's case. The district attorney went ahead and prosecuted it, the jury believed HER story, despite your need for CSI evidence.

The ONLY person here to blame is the lying "victim." Oh yeah, remember this when police agencies across the nation look at his case and treat "victims" poorly in your mind. THIS is the reason people do not believe rape victims. Yes, like it or not, most are lying and/or embellishing about what occurred.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
The thing is: You dont know if she is just NOW SAYING it didnt happen to get him out of what happend as a result of her telling them about it! (loss of career,etc)

Old 05-25-2012, 02:31 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
as parents we all have a responsibility to talk to our teens about putting themselves in compromising positions and especially our daughters about how a false rape claim can ruin a man's life.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:04 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Garrett Wittels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I followed this story...fortunately this young man did not end up with a ruined career.

As for false rape charges...men should stay away from drunk women, young women, and avoid one night stands. That should be a mantra.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:18 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Sexual assault, read rape has TWO defenses:

1. It wasn't me.

2. It was consensual.

The police can only conduct an investigation based up what what told to them. Very rarely is there strong physical evidence back a victims story.

Now, if the police told this victim to pound salt and something happened to her, just based upon her "story." You would be the first whiney individual crying the police don't listen. They listened and presented the case to the district attorney, based upon this lying bimbo's case. The district attorney went ahead and prosecuted it, the jury believed HER story, despite your need for CSI evidence.

The ONLY person here to blame is the lying "victim." Oh yeah, remember this when police agencies across the nation look at his case and treat "victims" poorly in your mind. THIS is the reason people do not believe rape victims. Yes, like it or not, most are lying and/or embellishing about what occurred.
I don't buy that. Yes, it is despicable what this victim did and a horrible tragedy for the real victim who was unjustly charged but I don't believe for a second that most rape victims are lying. I can't imagine too many sane people would want to put themselves through the trauma of testifying and going through what a victim has to go through in order to see the perpetrator brought to justice.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:57 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Quote:
Yes, like it or not, most are lying and/or embellishing about what occurred.
Statistics claim 1 in 4 women will be the victim of rape or attempted rape in their lifetime. That doesn't sound like an embellishment.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:00 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
In any case I'm glad the man is free. I hope the woman pays big time for this stuff. This kind of stuff is the reason real rape victims often don't go forward. What's sick about this is that is, like has already been said, pretty much the only way to prove a rape is he said/she said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Garrett Wittels - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia As for false rape charges...men should stay away from drunk women, young women, and avoid one night stands. That should be a mantra.
Men don't have to stay away from drunk women. They just need to quit trying to do them.

What's wrong with young women exactly? I'm guessing you mean underage? In that case I'd understand...

Old 05-26-2012, 11:36 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
They listened and presented the case to the district attorney, based upon this lying bimbo's case. The district attorney went ahead and prosecuted it, the jury believed HER story, despite your need for CSI evidence.
I don't know if a jury trial ever began, but he plead no contest. THAT'S why he went to prison. He was advised by his public defender to take that, or risk about 40 years in prison. When he asked to speak to his parents about the deal, he was denied. So he plead no contest. He got F'd.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:27 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
It's sickening that this continues to happens. This may sound harsh, but I think this girl should pay a huge fine and be jailed with a harsh sentence. She literally ruined a man's life.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime