U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2012, 01:46 AM

13,900 posts, read 12,162,985 times

Advertisements

What do you think sbout mercy killings? Are they justufiable in any circumstance and should the "killers" face any real charges? Despite this mans obvious attempt to end his wifes misery, he's still looking at a murder charge say police, according to the article.

Quote:
Akron police say 66-year-old John Wise entered his wife's hospital room at Akron General Medical Center on Saturday and shot at least one round from a handgun while standing at her bedside. Barbara was declared dead Sunday morning......{snip}

....Akron assistant city prosecutor Craig Morgan said Monday that Barbara was incapacitated before her husband shot her in the head. She had been in the hospital's intensive care unit in in an extremely disabled state. Capt. Dan Zampelli confirmed she was in critical condition, and had been in the ICU for several days.....{snip}

Zampelli says police are waiting on the autopsy to decide what charge would be appropriate for Wise but he likely faces a murder charge
Ohio husband allegedly shot hospitalized wife in possible mercy killing - CBS News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 06:22 AM

145 posts, read 306,335 times
Sorry, but people that age should have this sort of thing sorted out in their will. I'm 26 and know that if I was a vegetable on life support, I would want someone to pull the plug. No need to waste time, money, resources, or give people false hope when it's obvious you're brain dead.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:38 AM

66,499 posts, read 50,654,666 times
I've actually been through this situation, it's very very difficult especially if preceded by years of illness, it takes it's toll.

I can only say that the guy is 66 and no doubt under enormous mental strain.

Without knowing more about her illness and prognosis I don't know what to say on the matter.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:24 PM

18,845 posts, read 35,309,085 times
I have issues with this, and think that this will come up more and more now, with the "Silver Tsunami" hitting the US as the Baby Boomer generation gets older.

I see medical ethics, and DNR, Hospice, pallative care...as hot items in the coming decade...more to come.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:26 AM

21,661 posts, read 25,841,475 times
Being I've worked in a Long-Term Care/Rehab facility the past 11 years, and with Medicare/Medicaid being the biggest drain on our Federal budget, and with time running out, money running out, let's catapult ahead 10-15 years, after we've defaulted on our foreign debt, and what do you see happening?

I know, full well, working in these facilities, the madness can only continue for how much longer!!!

And then? This Ohio man will get a check from the government along with a Congratulatory card and Get Out of Jail card?

The Government will be left with no choices some day! And what form of euthanasia they'll endorse will be anyone's guess!

Old 08-08-2012, 09:59 AM

11,527 posts, read 13,415,587 times
Most costs are related to end of life care. Some astronomical number in the last year of life trying to extend it. But, be careful, too. SOme people can pull through seemingly "hopeless" situations and go on with a good quality of life. I would be careful not to mark everyone with a broad brush that seems or looks "hopeless." Docs only know so much and medicine isn't black or white like most people think.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,962 times
Umm..yeah, only several days in the critical care unit?
When I first heard the story, I assumed that she was suffereing from some disease that may have been slowly causing her brain damage or deterioration, but "CCU" for just several days? And a loud gunshot wound to the head?!!
That doesn't seem like a mercy killing to me. That sounds awful.

Old 08-12-2012, 10:28 AM

14,998 posts, read 21,837,252 times
There are already "do not resuscisate" allowances and living will provisions so that these events need not always happen. But their are alot of unknowns in this article - what kind of ailment did the wife had? Was she in pain? Was she terminal? What quality of life was expected? The problem I have with this (from what little information we know) is it wasn't the wife that publically told her husband to end her life (via a living will or some other document), but the husband's decision himself. The guy probably felt he had no other choice or option, but a bullet is a brutal way to end a life, it could have just as easily resulted in a slow painful death, or life with further pain and disability for his wife. The poor guy was likely misguided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime