Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:05 AM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

This is a global problem and even worse in impoverished areas.

China estimated that Beijing had 240,000 manhole covers stolen in ONE year.

Couple guys around where I lived got electrocuted trying to steal live wiring a couple years back. Ouch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 03:37 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This is a global problem and even worse in impoverished areas.

China estimated that Beijing had 240,000 manhole covers stolen in ONE year.

Couple guys around where I lived got electrocuted trying to steal live wiring a couple years back. Ouch.
Here I was thinking that China were the ones ending up with all of our scrap! Back to the drawing board.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:00 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
The week after September 11, 2001, I had the brass eagle stolen off an American flag I was flying at Muleshoe, Texas. I was never sure if they hated the flag or just wanted the brass eagle for scrap. I never found the flag.

Several years ago I noted that someone had stolen the large brass Texas star emblem off a state historical marker near the border at Farwell, Texas. I would guess this is a growing problem for many state governments who have used brass and copper in their monuments.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Here I was thinking that China were the ones ending up with all of our scrap! Back to the drawing board.
Nah. Would cost too much to gather the scrap just to turn around and ship it over there. That stuffs getting re-sold right here in the good old USA. Much of it is just the local low-lifes stealing whatever they can grab and cart down to the local recycling center for $20 and then buying drugs immediately thereafter.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:12 AM

Stuck in a manhole without a cover....I kinda feel sorry for the guy...he must have been a bit hefty.

Man stuck in manhole for 40 minutes - UPI.com

Old 09-17-2012, 03:34 PM

Pretty shortly they will be stealing the bullets out of our guns for the brass! I guess the days of getting free brass from the firing range are over?

It just gets me that we have so many that are willing to do hundreds or thousands of dollars damage for so little money. Not only are they destructive; they are also dangerous (especially stealing manhole covers, railroad rails and power transmission components).

I would just love to hear that our states are getting a handle on this problem. Some of the new laws sound promising.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Pretty shortly they will be stealing the bullets out of our guns for the brass! I guess the days of getting free brass from the firing range are over?

It just gets me that we have so many that are willing to do hundreds or thousands of dollars damage for so little money. Not only are they destructive; they are also dangerous (especially stealing manhole covers, railroad rails and power transmission components).

I would just love to hear that our states are getting a handle on this problem. Some of the new laws sound promising.
The age old problem of 5% of the population causing 95% of the problems.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
We have had copper gutters stolen off churches here in NC. That would be a pretty good haul, too, b/c some of these churches are very large and so that would mean quite a few linear feet.

In the mountains of NC, a contractor recently told us that people with expensive homes not in a gated community are being told NOT to put copper guttering on their homes, b/c folks are stealing it off as fast it can be installed.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We have had copper gutters stolen off churches here in NC. That would be a pretty good haul, too, b/c some of these churches are very large and so that would mean quite a few linear feet.

In the mountains of NC, a contractor recently told us that people with expensive homes not in a gated community are being told NOT to put copper guttering on their homes, b/c folks are stealing it off as fast it can be installed.
Has your new NC law gone into effect? I would love to learn if anything helps stem this epidemic?

The fact that they would steal the copper from the churches tells a lot about the people we are dealing with.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Has your new NC law gone into effect? I would love to learn if anything helps stem this epidemic?

The fact that they would steal the copper from the churches tells a lot about the people we are dealing with.
Hi FISHEYE!

I believe that law went into effect the end of June or so.

WHat folks are saying here is - people have shifted more to stealing boat and car batteries! The law does not affect ferrous materials that come out of batteries.

This summer, with boats left out and cars parked while folks are hiking, fishing, etc - this makes easy pickin's for thieves.

What I have read is - the batteries are not going to net them much money, but there are no restrictions on the metals found in batteries, so every stolen battery = $5 - it adds up.

I have not seen any stats at all about copper theft going down (or going up for that matter). Just haven't seen any stories other than announcing the law had passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime