Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 04:48 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times

Advertisements

I suppose some of the ones I feel badly for, are the ones who really never had a chance for a normal life. Family is completely messed up, with parents in and out of jail. And they get involved with the wrong crowd, and end up killing someone at age 16, gang violence. And then sentenced to prison. It seems so completely unfair, like the kid never really had a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 07:00 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
Children who kill an abusive parent. Some are tried as adults, when they are quite young.
Yep, this.

If it was a clean kill - hit em in the head with a frying pan, then called the cops himself - and we are not talking torture or anything sexual, then these folks have my sympathy. It is superhuman to to abused for years and just take it.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:51 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
All of them. When a person decides to kill another human being they are for all intent dead inside. The walking dead killing the living. It 's pitiful. Imagine waking up in the morning and remembering that you killed someone - I would say no matter how tough you imagine yourself to be - or how justified you might think the act was....You KNOW deep inside that you are a total loser at life- an utter failure..and have made yourself worthless in the eyes of man and God...Not much of a life after you have stolen the life of another. That is the price you pay for murder. Once you have killed you have in effect taken your own life- YOU WILL NEVER BE THE SAME.
I disagree. These people are almost all sociopaths and have no conscience. They feel no remorse and no guilt. Some of them even blame their victims. Some feel their victims deserved to die. All who kill should all be executed. A life for a life.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,983,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I suppose some of the ones I feel badly for, are the ones who really never had a chance for a normal life. Family is completely messed up, with parents in and out of jail. And they get involved with the wrong crowd, and end up killing someone at age 16, gang violence. And then sentenced to prison. It seems so completely unfair, like the kid never really had a chance.
But these young people still know killing is wrong! They know they may have to pay dearly and they do it anyway. I can't dredge up any sympathy for them.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:24 PM

993 posts, read 2,290,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
I'll admit that a part of me weeps for Andrea Yates, as well as for the children she killed. It makes me think maybe we need to go back to the days of involuntary institutionalization for the mentally ill.
I feel sorry for her too.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:05 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Betty Broderick and Aileen Wournos. Also, there was a teenager who had been horribly abused by a real bully of a father who finally killed him. I think in the 80s. The judge showed not one bit of sympathy for this kid. He was given the death penalty but it was overturned.

He is still in prison for life. So he went from one prison to another.
I have a little sympathy for Betty Broderick. Not to say I think she should be let out of prison. She SHOULD have accepted what happened even if it was a bitter pill to swallow and walked away. She murdered them in cold blood. But her husband and his new wife just fanned the flames that led to their own deaths, IMO.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Yep, this.

If it was a clean kill - hit em in the head with a frying pan, then called the cops himself - and we are not talking torture or anything sexual, then these folks have my sympathy. It is superhuman to to abused for years and just take it.
I saw a TV talk show once with teenagers who had killed a parent or stepparent. One was a girl whose father was mean and abusive, and he would also sexually abuse her as she became a teenager. She finally killed him one day as he attempted to rape her again. Meanwhile, she'd gone to her mother to tell her, and her mother's response was "Oh, well you look like me when I was young, and when he's drunk he's confusing us." Idiot.

Another was a young man whose stepfather beat him mercilessly. He ran away from home, and his stepfather reported him missing and cops found the kid and held him until the stepfather came to pick him up. The kid told the cops, "Lock me up, please, because if you don't, I WILL kill this man the next time he lays a hand on me." The cops turned him back over to his stepfather, and two weeks later the kid shot and killed him.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:36 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I saw a TV talk show once with teenagers who had killed a parent or stepparent. One was a girl whose father was mean and abusive, and he would also sexually abuse her as she became a teenager. She finally killed him one day as he attempted to rape her again. Meanwhile, she'd gone to her mother to tell her, and her mother's response was "Oh, well you look like me when I was young, and when he's drunk he's confusing us." Idiot.

Another was a young man whose stepfather beat him mercilessly. He ran away from home, and his stepfather reported him missing and cops found the kid and held him until the stepfather came to pick him up. The kid told the cops, "Lock me up, please, because if you don't, I WILL kill this man the next time he lays a hand on me." The cops turned him back over to his stepfather, and two weeks later the kid shot and killed him.
That's the thing with self-defense. It implies defending yourself against an actual attack...sometimes, you KNOW you're in a life-threatening situation, that any moment this person could take your life by surprise, but under the law you can't do anything unless they directly attack you, by which time it might be too late. The law needs to take reports of seriously life-threatening abuse SERIOUSLY, or else there'll be more death, one way or the other. These perps need to be locked up, psychologically looked at or something.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:58 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,570,934 times
I feel no sympathy for any of them. They all made a conscious choice to kill, many times repeatedly, knew enough to try and hide the bodies, dismember them to keep them from being identified, lie, run and hide, or hide in plain sight and try and "help" find the bodies. How can anyone possibly feel sorry for someone who does those kinds of things? You should lose your "civil rights" the moment you cross that line from human to monster - and prey on anyone else for any reason. I am sick and tired of criminals blaming their actions on their parents, or childhood, or somebody who was mean to them when they were kids, or any of the other bull**** reasons they and their lawyers try to cram down our necks. It is a daily event now - somewhere in the world at any given time - they are out there plotting and murdering and lying and hiding, crying crocodile tears and trying to show remorse when they do not even know the meaning of the word. Dead is dead - no matter what the excuse or what you choose to call it. If you do the crime - own it and prepare to give your own life as payment. I know this will not be the popular feeling - it is my personal opinion, and if someone took a family member of mine I would be in the front row on execution day with no tears for them, or no forgiveness in my heart for them. We are living in a frightening world right now - and it does not look to be improving any.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
I feel no sympathy for any of them. They all made a conscious choice to kill, many times repeatedly, knew enough to try and hide the bodies, dismember them to keep them from being identified, lie, run and hide, or hide in plain sight and try and "help" find the bodies. How can anyone possibly feel sorry for someone who does those kinds of things? You should lose your "civil rights" the moment you cross that line from human to monster - and prey on anyone else for any reason. I am sick and tired of criminals blaming their actions on their parents, or childhood, or somebody who was mean to them when they were kids, or any of the other bull**** reasons they and their lawyers try to cram down our necks. It is a daily event now - somewhere in the world at any given time - they are out there plotting and murdering and lying and hiding, crying crocodile tears and trying to show remorse when they do not even know the meaning of the word. Dead is dead - no matter what the excuse or what you choose to call it. If you do the crime - own it and prepare to give your own life as payment. I know this will not be the popular feeling - it is my personal opinion, and if someone took a family member of mine I would be in the front row on execution day with no tears for them, or no forgiveness in my heart for them. We are living in a frightening world right now - and it does not look to be improving any.
Re those referenced in the bolded: There's one story that keeps repeating itself that fits that description with little variation. A woman is reported missing by her husband. The story is usually that they had an argument and "she went for a walk". The husband pretends to be heartbroken. He "helps" search for his missing wife.

Meanwhile, everyone over the age of 25 has seen this story play out at least a couple of times before. WE KNOW YOU KILLED HER. WE KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO SOMEHOW LEAD THE POLICE TO THE BODY. YOUR STORY IS THE SAME ONE WE HAVE SEEN BEFORE--WHY DO YOU THINK WE WILL BELIEVE YOU?

Eventually Mr. Dumbass will break down and confess that he killed his wife during their argument, and usually alcohol is involved. It just amazes me that they think that their story will somehow be deemed different from that of all the other schmoes who did the exact same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime