Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 06:32 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I just wish that we would reform the criminal justice system in some ways. Don't waste jail space on thieves (hard labor instead), and don't let violent offenders out- ever in some cases! That ass who killed those firefighters recently after setting his neighborhood ablaze had been convicted of killing his grandmother.

Why was he out?
I will tell you why probably because he had some scum bucket bleeding heart liberal attorney pleading his case for publicity ... that is why .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 08:27 PM

406 posts, read 1,039,341 times
I'm not surprised. Read my thread about the man pushed off the subway in NY. We live in weird times.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:45 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Yes, I see them and you don't. I understand that. Yet, why is it so difficult for people to believe their fellow man has absolutely no emotions, no caring, et al about them and their families? And if possible, would kill, maim, and abuse them, "just because?" No psychological issues. NONE. Just because? It happens, everyday, all day, all across the world and people really should wake up and see it.

If they cannot handle reality, that is their issue. Not mine.

How is having no emotions and no caring, and a willingness to kill someone "just because," NOT a psychological issue? Of course at that point, someone has waited far too long to intervene.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:46 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
How is having no emotions and no caring, and a willingness to kill someone "just because," NOT a psychological issue? Of course at that point, someone has waited far too long to intervene.
Explain to me the psychological issue? What is it? Define it? What therapy, medication, et al do we use to treat it?

I'm waiting? YOU tell me the psychological issue for a person like this. Let me give you a hint: There ISNT one. It doesn't exist. Sorry it doesn't fit in your little shoebox of a world. However, like it or not, there are people in this world who hate people, "just because." They are as sane as you are and everyone else walking down the street

You cannot diagnose them and you can't "fix" them. Its they way they are.

And your post is exactly my point: YOU, nor others, can accept this. You cannot get your head around people like this so, there must be some sort of "issue" with them. When there is not.

Old 12-31-2012, 11:17 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Some people commit crimes to get something out of it, money, violence, etc. For some, it's the thrill.

Some people commit crimes to see what it's like to commit a crime.

Some people commit crimes because they dislike/hate people.

Some people commit crimes because they are mental.

Some people commit crimes when they are on drugs or under the influence.

Some people commit crimes as part of a gang thing.

Some people commit crimes simply because the person/victim was there.

The only way I can even come close to trying to explain it, and still it's not a very good way, is the way when you, (general you), were a little kid and would kill an ant, simply for the fact that the ant was there. There was no "reason" for it, there was no internal dialogue - is this right, is this wrong, you had no emotion about it, you weren't mental or strung out, didn't hate the ant, didn't gain anything from it, you just did it because the ant was there.

That's how some humans are with everything.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:12 AM

2,873 posts, read 5,851,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Explain to me the psychological issue? What is it? Define it? What therapy, medication, et al do we use to treat it?

I'm waiting? YOU tell me the psychological issue for a person like this. Let me give you a hint: There ISNT one. It doesn't exist. Sorry it doesn't fit in your little shoebox of a world. However, like it or not, there are people in this world who hate people, "just because." They are as sane as you are and everyone else walking down the street

You cannot diagnose them and you can't "fix" them. Its they way they are.

And your post is exactly my point: YOU, nor others, can accept this. You cannot get your head around people like this so, there must be some sort of "issue" with them. When there is not.
Hate is an emotion. What you described in your previous post was psychopathy, which is a lack of the ability to feel empathy. Psychopaths don't 'hate' others. In fact, most psychopaths are rarely violent. There has been considerable research into the causes of it, and while there is no definitive answer yet, it does seem to have biological or genetic underpinnings.

That said, I agree with you for the most part. I think much violence is done simply out of hate or lack of caring for others. Not so much an inability to empathize and understood the pain they are inflicting, but rather a complete disregard for it. You can well understand that you are hurting another person who is just as 'real' as you are...and still not care.

The first instinct when reading about a violent crime is always to wonder WHY. But I do notice this question is asked more often if the offender is white or female. If a white woman kills her children, everyone speculates as to 'why'...and often in ways that take away her responsibility for her action. When a man shakes his child to death, there's no speculation that he was mentally ill...he's just a monster.

I hear often things like 'there are no such things as bad people, just bad actions." I think there are bad people. I think there are EVIL people. But there are ALSO people who have severe mental illness. Some of who commit violent crimes (and many, many more who don't.) Our mental health system has completely failed at keeping people with mental illness who are a danger off the streets. This is important to acknowledge but while we can't stop evil people from hurting others, we CAN change things so that people exhibiting signs of mental illness get real help (and if they can't be helped, aren't simply left to wander.).

Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
I can't remember where I heard this quote, but it's a good one: "Some people just want to watch the world burn".

Old 01-04-2013, 06:46 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I can't remember where I heard this quote, but it's a good one: "Some people just want to watch the world burn".

Batman in reference to the joker.

I think there is always a reason. It just needs to stop being treated as an excuse or a way to shorten a sentence. A mental health care sentence should be stacked on top of the criminal sentence. It would actually get them help and probably influence a lot of people to not play the "crazy" card to get out of a jail sentence.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:17 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
"Why did you kill everyone in the house?"

"They was home."

Old 01-04-2013, 07:02 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
"Why did you kill everyone in the house?"

"They was home."
?

Its deeper than that. Abstract and not direct as in normal reasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime