Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,482,317 times

Advertisements

Thinking about this thread gave me a Casey Anthony flashback.

Lets hope the girl doesn't have children at a young age and decide she wants the "Bella Vita Life".

Contacting the police might not have been a wrong decision on the part of her parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,061,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Unless the computer is ancient, most of them are now equipped with parental controls.
Not the same psychological effect as putting your foot through it. (Because they know they might get it back eventually) My stepson ditched school once. When the husband found out he put his foot through the kid's video game system in front of him. He never ditched again.

He also didn't get a new video game system until he paid for it himself with money he worked for.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:10 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,708,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I think the parents have only themselves to blame, and I couldn't imagine EVER turning my child into the police, which is (in my opinion) further testament to their extremely LOUSY parenting skills.
At 15 you can pretty well make your own stupid decisions. If they were 8, maybe it would have been all the parents' fault.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:56 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,222,404 times
Sure, and I'm sure the parents totally endeared themselves to their loving children by calling the cops....

Old 01-07-2013, 10:06 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,335,140 times
I'm conflicted about rather or not to call the cops. At 15 you're a skip & a hop away from adulthood where I can no longer protect you from stupid mistakes. And when I was 15 some of that parental fear of whupping was fading because I was bigger than my mom.

Since it was the friends idea I'd want my child to understand how going along with a friend can have consequences on your life.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:10 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,797,065 times
Default Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I hope the law deals harshly with them but in the end it is the parents who will have to hire attorneys etc. How incredibly stupid at age 15 not to realize how dangerous this could have been. if it was my kid I would take away their computer like forever.

Police: Calif. Teens Drug Parents to Use Internet - ABC News

If I did this to my mom, I better hurry up and get behind bars because she would have killed me. Bump the taking away the computer forever. My life would end forever, and my daughter would too, if she ever did this crud.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:39 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,404,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I think the parents have only themselves to blame, and I couldn't imagine EVER turning my child into the police, which is (in my opinion) further testament to their extremely LOUSY parenting skills.
I think it's a sign of pretty good parenting. But I'm not surprised that some lousy parents see nothing wrong with covering up their children's crimes.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:23 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,872,758 times
Sounds like something from a movie. No internet past 10 was too strict? These are teenagers, they should be in bed by 11 at least anyway. I actually think it's no laughing matter, although it is funny, what next? Maybe going to the police was extreme but maybe the parents were worried for their safety?

Old 01-12-2013, 10:18 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,061,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I think it's a sign of pretty good parenting. But I'm not surprised that some lousy parents see nothing wrong with covering up their children's crimes.
So much depends on the individual child and circumstances. Was this the first time she's ever been in trouble? Did she only start getting in trouble when she met the friend who provided the sleeping pills?

It really is hard to speculate when you only get a snippet, but drugging people is akin to poisoning. It's not stealing mom's car when she's out of town or throwing a party.

People here can only relate insofar as their own children, so everyone's got a perspective.

I can't see turning my son in to the law unless he did something really heinous (which is not to say I wouldn't beat his ass) but that's because he's essentially a good kid.

I suspect the young lady in the story might have had behavioral problems before, but who knows?

Old 01-15-2013, 02:43 PM

13,513 posts, read 19,222,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
A good parent wouldn't HAVE to turn their kids in to the cops...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime