Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 01:16 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,334,518 times

Advertisements

LOL I know fruitlassie. I spit my tea out when he said that. He can't be all THAT bad if he does not like the girl himself.well maybe!!lol

Old 05-03-2013, 01:28 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,943,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowchaser2002 View Post
I was screaming my head off during the Casey Anthony trial about HLN it seems they were all one sided and just about being all loud and obnoxious. And I thought they totally disrespected that little girl by treating it like a circus and I vowed to never watch again. Well I stayed true to my words until my friend was over one day over the Holidays and was talking about this Jodi Aries trial I had never heard of it before and I started watching just a little of the trial when I got the chance. It only took a week to stop watching it because of Jodi and just the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth...I just watch now here and there and still feel the same way as I did 2 years ago. HLN will just keep going from trial to trial making them a circus totally the opposite of how CourtTv was! Oh how I miss those days!! I remember sick days from school would be spent watching LIVE cases or those 2 hour blocks with lawyers that were not screaming over each other explain how law worked..it would be on from 8am to 6 pm. It was like that as far as I can remember in 2002 even. I guess they just did not get enough viewers. Sorry for the rambling long post I am very sentimental!
Hubby and I both watched the old Court TV ... Forensic Files, Dominick Dunne, Dayle Hinman, real trials in the mornings ... now we have Pawn Shops with fussing relatives, Repo people with one shouting "Bobby, Bobby, Bobby" ... my goodness the one shouting is big enough to take care of himself ... we stopped watching that channel shortly after Ted Turner or whoever owns CNN/HLN bought it and started changing things.

The only HLN person I like is Beth Karas ... I use to like Vinnie, Mike and Ryan but they are now reality personalities about like the Kardashians. Jinkasaurus just confuses things and is so pro-defense. Yesterday during the lunch break one of the guys in the studio asked Beth Karas a question and she said she just came out of the courtroom and hadn't had time to look over her notes and she wanted to do that first to get things right.

I am cooking today, got my Twitter account open, not listening to Nurmi just waiting as Juan Martinez does have one more go-round when Nurmi completes his closing.

And ... one more thing ... the jury is going home for the weekend ... cannot deliberate because of no security at courthouse on the weekend ... they have spent $1.6 million dollars and counting and they are too tight to spend some overtime money for security so the jury can get started???

Old 05-03-2013, 01:37 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,161,669 times
Last night I was looking up the Susan Wright trial on Youtube (the Blue-Eyed Butcher...very similar case to this one) and watched some old Court TV clips. Wow, what a difference from HLN. Nancy Grace was so subdued compared to today. I don't know why everything has to be so sensationalized and dumbed-down nowadays. CNN has gone down the tubes too.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
There's an older man in the front row of the gallery who keeps nodding off...I am sure he's not the only one struggling to stay awake. Nurmi is so predictable...what a disgusting man he is (inside and out), but I did laugh when he said even he doesn't like Jodi 9 days out of 10. Juan is going to wipe the floor with him.

I was grating cheese and read that on Twitter and it cracked me up too ... it has been obvious throughout the trial Nurmi doesn't want to be there. ROFL But whatever the outcome of this trial may be Nurmi has made some money .... unless the sale of Arias artwork throws a wrench in Arias' indigent status. You see what Casey Anthony owes Baez when she filed bankruptcy and Baez was court appointed too.

I don't have the live stream on, just my Twitter following comments by reporters in the courtroom. But I will turn on the live stream when Nurmi completes his closing and see what Juan has to say.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:01 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,404,882 times
Quote:
Living in Phoenix, I can say that nobody would consider wearing socks in June unless they have a strict dress code at work (or if they were trying to cover up a murder!)...we've already had a couple 100 degree days this year

Nurmi reclined in his chair and objected a few times. I can't imagine what he plans to do tomorrow. Maybe he'll just replay the sex tape on a loop.
I guess he has proof of life if he can still recline in his chair and remember to object once in a while.

Too funny about Nurmi looping a sex tape! He's going to have some real difficulties getting back to adults sexually abusing children for his work. Those cases, if they go to trial, last hrs. to days, unless it is someone high profile.

I doubt Squirmy will be able to use anything from this trial for his future clients. Then again, maybe he will now strive to be "Death-Penalty Certified." I won't hold my breath waiting on that one.

Thanks!

MSR

Old 05-03-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
There's an older man in the front row of the gallery who keeps nodding off...I am sure he's not the only one struggling to stay awake. Nurmi is so predictable...what a disgusting man he is (inside and out), but I did laugh when he said even he doesn't like Jodi 9 days out of 10. Juan is going to wipe the floor with him.
Good for Numi. LOL....... He wants away from this and her so badly, yet wouldn't it be an ARIAS move to sue him for abandonment or malpractice?

I think Nurmi is the comic relief. He may be very competent in office law, hearings in Prison etc. To be fair, IMHO, Nurmi has not tried to recreate himself or his practice from this trial. I honestly do not feel the same way about JW.

No doubt in my mind that JM is the best attorney in the court. Maricopa County is really fortunate to have someone as skilled, passionate and precise as JM. I'm always blown away he doesn't need notes or delegates part of the case to others.

MSR

Old 05-03-2013, 02:21 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,334,518 times
I have a question: I know Juan gets one more chance after the Def gets done here...but does the Defense get another chance too? I should know this and I am almost too embarrassed to ask...I would thank anyone kind enough to answer that question for me

Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,161,669 times
Juan gets to rebut the defense's closing argument and that's it. The prosecution gets the last say because they have the burden of proof. (Don't be embarrassed, I am learning a lot too, this is the first trial I've followed this closely!)

Aaaand we have the sex tape. What a surprise.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I was grating cheese and read that on Twitter and it cracked me up too ... it has been obvious throughout the trial Nurmi doesn't want to be there. ROFL But whatever the outcome of this trial may be Nurmi has made some money .... unless the sale of Arias artwork throws a wrench in Arias' indigent status. You see what Casey Anthony owes Baez when she filed bankruptcy and Baez was court appointed too.

I don't have the live stream on, just my Twitter following comments by reporters in the courtroom. But I will turn on the live stream when Nurmi completes his closing and see what Juan has to say.
I thought Anthony retained Baez based on the referral of another jail mate. Not saying her "driver in chief," Chaney Mason got involved the same way. Likely he was court- appointed to be LEGAL counsel, not her personal driver.

Was there a motion along the way that changed BAEZ to court-appointed, or something else I've forgotten? Not saying I'm certain just writing what I recall. I could be confused.

MSR

Old 05-03-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I thought Anthony retained Baez based on the referral of another jail mate. Not saying her "driver in chief," Chaney Mason got involved the same way. Likely he was court- appointed to be LEGAL counsel, not her personal driver.

Was there a motion along the way that changed BAEZ to court-appointed, or something else I've forgotten? Not saying I'm certain just writing what I recall. I could be confused.

MSR

Yes, the other jailbirds praised Baez and he was always there passing out his cards ... typical ambulance chaser. Anthony talked to him and then when paperwork was filed showing indigence this was filed by Baez. The court then appointed Baez as Anthony insisted upon continuing with Baez.

George, Cindy and Lee had a fit and wanted another lawyer since all they knew about Baez was the sleaze. There was a video tape at the jail between Casey and Lee and he is begging her not to use Baez. That was when Judge Stan Strickland was handling the case and had to recuse himself and Judge Perry took over. Then they had another problem Baez was not 'death penalty qualified' so Mason came aboard at pro-bono.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.