Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 02:16 PM

570 posts, read 1,002,118 times

Advertisements

I've been following this case a little bit. It's interesting that the local (Phoenix area) media and the national media want to compare this to the Casey Anthony case. I don't remember much local media attention to this back in 2008. Crazy story.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:35 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,642 times
I think the defense should have gone for Crimes of Passion. The level of wounds shows extreme emotion consistent was jealously and/or rejection. The state doesn't have the murder weapons and the
prosecution has the burden to prove per-meditation beyond a shadow of a doubt.....

The defense then should have brought in Psychologists that show Jodi as a victim of Battered Women Syndrome, which often is emotional, not just physical abuse.
The fact that Travis continued to engage in using her for sex with no intention of furthering the relationship,is a typical behavior of emotional abuse by males, as is degrading women.

Jodi could have took the stand and stated how Travis beat her down emotionally with things he said that only she heard.
She could show Travis's secret naughty side that was sadistic sexually, because he would draw her back in, then in bed promise her a future, marriage, beautiful children. Pillow talk.

Then, immediately after reaching HIS climax, proceed to downgrade her into 'nothing to me but a *****', 'get out, ' I'm taking a real woman to Cancun'....etc. etc.

Jodi's a great actress!!!!!!!!!! She could have turn this around to make her look like the victim of a manipulating man that 'wanted his cake and to eat it too'....that only she heard the 'terrible things he said to her'. That he was a sexually suppressed Mormon.

Jodi would testify that after this a year of being his 'dirty little secret', she finally snapped, which would account for
the overkill, that she snapped into a 'blind rage'. She could say she lied to the police because she didn't think anyone would believe her, very common for battered women.

Travis was leading a double life. His friends testified to this already. They just didn't know his 'cruel side' in the bedroom.
His suppressed sexual appetite was being played out in private.

Going for self defense is going to be difficult to prove, but Travis having a secret life isn't.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:07 PM

664 posts, read 1,027,928 times
I have been fo llowing this case and Jodi has admitted to have killed him, cut her actions after the act is unbelieveable. The whole thing is so awful. I feel some male juror might feel sorry for her and there will be a hung jury.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:14 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
Part of her problem with claiming self defense now is that she gave interviews to the media on two different occasions where she explains how he was such a great guy. She also says this in her interrogations by police.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:58 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
slam dunk guilty. the woman has rage issues as apparent in how she killed him.

Old 01-20-2013, 01:19 AM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Well she's guilty as sin, she's admitted to the killing, the evidence is overwhelming, her defense attorneys admit she killed the guy, now the defense want to portray her as a victim so she can get off with 2nd degree murder which would allow her the possibility of getting out in 9 years or sooner with time served. Otherwise she is facing the death penalty if found guilty.

Her story was featured on CBS 48 Hours this evening. Follow up 48 Hours story to come after the trial is over in about 3 weeks.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:37 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
I have been following the case too. She is a strange one with her new glasses!

This was a horrible death ... but I have learned my lesson regarding a jury ... there is no telling or predicting their verdict!!!

I think the reason the media is comparing this to the Anthony case is ... a young, white, reasonably attractive female. I recall the murder when it happened but that was it no big national media blitz after that time.

We have several murders that have happened and received national coverage at the time then it just disappears.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:19 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
I think the defense should have gone for Crimes of Passion. The level of wounds shows extreme emotion consistent was jealously and/or rejection. The state doesn't have the murder weapons and the
prosecution has the burden to prove per-meditation beyond a shadow of a doubt.....

The defense then should have brought in Psychologists that show Jodi as a victim of Battered Women Syndrome, which often is emotional, not just physical abuse.
The fact that Travis continued to engage in using her for sex with no intention of furthering the relationship,is a typical behavior of emotional abuse by males, as is degrading women.

Jodi could have took the stand and stated how Travis beat her down emotionally with things he said that only she heard.
She could show Travis's secret naughty side that was sadistic sexually, because he would draw her back in, then in bed promise her a future, marriage, beautiful children. Pillow talk.

Then, immediately after reaching HIS climax, proceed to downgrade her into 'nothing to me but a *****', 'get out, ' I'm taking a real woman to Cancun'....etc. etc.

Jodi's a great actress!!!!!!!!!! She could have turn this around to make her look like the victim of a manipulating man that 'wanted his cake and to eat it too'....that only she heard the 'terrible things he said to her'. That he was a sexually suppressed Mormon.

Jodi would testify that after this a year of being his 'dirty little secret', she finally snapped, which would account for
the overkill, that she snapped into a 'blind rage'. She could say she lied to the police because she didn't think anyone would believe her, very common for battered women.

Travis was leading a double life. His friends testified to this already. They just didn't know his 'cruel side' in the bedroom.
His suppressed sexual appetite was being played out in private.

Going for self defense is going to be difficult to prove, but Travis having a secret life isn't.
I don't think crime of passion is a valid defense anywhere in the country, though. Now, I have only heard a few scraps of this case -- is there any chance she was on drugs at the time?

Old 01-21-2013, 12:43 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,642 times
A crime of passion refers to a criminal act in which the perpetrator commits a crime, especially murder or assult, against someone because of sudden strong impulse such as sudden rage or heartbreak rather than as a premeditated crime.

Extreme emotional circumstances allegedly creates a state of temporary insanity in the person committing the crime. It is both an act and a defense.

Temporary insanity may be the more common defense than crime of passion, It’s not a perfect defense and it’s not acceptable everywhere.

There’s been some effort in some jurisdictions to eliminate this defense ...legal experts say it's not an excusable defense,in contrast to juries who tend to forgive perpetrator for rage or being upset upon finding out disturbing information...

Old 01-21-2013, 01:01 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Murderers don't think very rationally, especially when romance is involved.

I don't know if she is guilty or not, but I think Nancy Grace will probably screw it all up. She has a marvelous record for getting the outcome wrong, and her inflammatory speech serves no good purpose for justice.
I should have said 'many murderers don't think rationally" in that post of mine above. Some of the worst killers are very organized and rational. They simply do not have inhibitions with the murder of others.

Some people never have any true feelings for others, including their closest family. For whatever causal reasons, they never develop affection for others, and they never truly feel affection that others may give. They genuinely like any attention they get, and most become very adept at mimicking all the things most folks do and say when they truly care for each other, but it's all an act.

These people were once commonly called psychopaths. The current and more popular term is 'sociopath', but they both are the same. Most sociopaths never kill anyone, but they all leave a wake of chaos and trouble behind them for their entire lives. Those who do cross the line and commit murder may not repeat the crime, but they will never feel any guilt or shame.

After watching Arias on 48 Hours, I decided she's a sociopath. I know 2 of them. Most folks run across one or two in their lifetimes.

Jodi Arias will never feel guilt for killing her lover. She feels regret for getting caught, but that's as far as she will ever go. If she's convicted, she may not ever kill again if released, but she will go to her grave never giving a hoot about anyone but herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime