Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 08:07 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Not likely.

After all, the film was being made while the trial was going on. No one knew what the outcome would be.

I think the producers were just trying to be neutral and not take sides. Of course, nothing Travis is alleged to have done to Jodi compares to what Jodi did to him!
I agree. I think Travis was characterized very respectfully. I didn't think they dumb him down or showed him as a bully. This movie was all about Arias and her character was poorly portrayed because they wanted drama, after all it's a Lifetime movie not a psychology documentary. They portrayed Arias as an obsessive highly emotional woman, I think Arias was more apathetic, self absorbed and calculating.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:16 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
I think TA was portrayed very nicely, not like a bully at all.
The scene where she butchered him was a truly good one. I believe that may be just the way she did it.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:14 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I agree. I think Travis was characterized very respectfully. I didn't think they dumb him down or showed him as a bully. This movie was all about Arias and her character was poorly portrayed because they wanted drama, after all it's a Lifetime movie not a psychology documentary. They portrayed Arias as an obsessive highly emotional woman, I think Arias was more apathetic, self absorbed and calculating.
I agree with your assessment. At trial she showed very little emotion; more calculation in her face than anything else.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:45 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Not likely.

After all, the film was being made while the trial was going on. No one knew what the outcome would be.

I think the producers were just trying to be neutral and not take sides. Of course, nothing Travis is alleged to have done to Jodi compares to what Jodi did to him!
The portrayal of Travis has nothing to do with the trial outcome. I'm speaking to the posters impression of the movie version of Travis as a dumb bully. That was his take.

I didn't see the movie, nor do I plan to.

Last edited by virgode; 06-24-2013 at 03:56 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
The portrayal of Travis has nothing to do with the trial outcome. I'm speaking to the posters impression of the movie version of Travis as a dumb bully. That was his take.

I didn't see the movie, nor do I plan to.
Why not?

I have no idea why someone would think he was portrayed as dumb or bully.

At the beginning when Jodi meets Travis, they show Travis telling a group of people he is very sucessful and that he has a nice house and drives a good car but that is pretty much in line with his speeches and online blogs. They don't show Travis talking about himself again later in the film.

The movie was not anti-Travis at all(it was very anti-Jodi) but some people will never be happy unless Travis is portrayed as someone with a lot of virtues that changed many lives. This movie was not about Travis, it was about Jodi.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Why not?

I have no idea why someone would think he was portrayed as dumb or bully.

At the beginning when Jodi meets Travis, they show Travis telling a group of people he is very sucessful and that he has a nice house and drives a good car but that is pretty much in line with his speeches and online blogs. They don't show Travis talking about himself again later in the film.

The movie was not anti-Travis at all(it was very anti-Jodi) but some people will never be happy unless Travis is portrayed as someone with a lot of virtues that changed many lives. This movie was not about Travis, it was about Jodi.
Well, considering the dysfunction he came from, he was probably pleased with his successes and he is astrological sign Leo...lol

Ahhh...Maybe I'll watch for bit and form my own opinion.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:12 PM

If anyone is interested...

Jodi Arias - Dirty Little Secret [Lifetime] - YouTube

Old 06-24-2013, 10:57 PM

The movie was respectful but played down. Snippets of Jodi's frightening obsession, when you think about 82,000 texts / emails in a 5 month time period.

Travis came across as naive and dumb, but not a bully, leaving out unfavorable aspects of his personality.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:55 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,465 times
Audio from some of the sidebars has been released...JA admitted to hurting animals in the past but Judge Stephens didn't feel it constituted "torture," so she found it too prejudicial to be admitted.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/m...exclusive.html

Old 06-26-2013, 12:13 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,967,774 times
Did you listen to the sidebar where Judge Stephens said ALV wants to answer Juan's questions with information that's not what she is being asked!!!! Judge said ALV was doing the same thing yesterday and it delays the proceedings. Then Judge said 'she didn't want to admonish ALV in front of the jury!!"

She is the Judge ... she is in charge of the courtroom and trial and I don't think she admonished a single person. The Judge allowed to much to go down in this trial and that is why it was so long and drawn out and received so much attention.

Quite a few trials have come and gone since the Arias trial started without all the sidebars, judge's chambers, days off and the defendants at those trials are already serving their time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime