Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2013, 04:54 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
bentlebee,

My time is very limited for a few more days. Here is a link that might explain more. Granted, it only addresses changes from DSM - IV to DSM - IV-TR (skipping all that was revised in DSM-IVR). However, it shows the timeline of how long it takes to get to the next major revision and some disorders they think HAVE to be changed during the 16 - 20+ years between the next major revision. DSM-V has been promised for many years. It is coming out, finally, this year.

In the U.S., a clinician must use the most recent addition of the DSM to be reimbursed or have an accurate assessment for legal reasons. I know an attorney who won her case based on the fact a person who was not licensed to make a mental health assessment and recommendations for a patient used old criteria. It was easy to prove the person had a personal issue with the patient, not the clinical training, licensure or judgment to "diagnose" the patient as she had.

The major point for Arias/Samuels is Samuels has to use the most current information available in his assessments/diagnoses for the U.S. The GAF score, which is mentioned in this link, is a good example for Arias. Does it prove anything about her mental health disorders? No. But it would show her range of functioning normally vs. if she needed to be institutionalized for care. With Samuels claiming her memory loss problems the due to her PTSD, one certainly could wonder how she could withstand the pressure and competition to win a Christmas singing contest while incarcerated. DSM-IV vs. DSM-IV-TR | psychiatry.org

I hope this helps.

MSR
Wow, you really have a problem admitting when you are wrong don't you? There is no such thing as the DSM-IVR. There is only the DSM-IV and the DSM-IV-TR. Interesting that you use the link I provided for you so that you could know what you're talking about, and you still are spreading misinformation.

The "pressure" of a singing contest can hardly be compared to the bloody and violent murder of someone you apparently love. It is a ridiculous comparison and totally irrelevant, they could even say her singing was therapeutic or calming. I don't believe she had PTSD but this is not how you go about showing it. Besides which, the horse has already bolted, she has been diagnosed with it and it is up to the Prosecutor to show that she doesn't have it. He actually did a better job of it yesterday although he would get on the right track with pre-existing symptoms and avoidance but then ruin it with temper tantrums and yelling about feelings.

Samuels was using the latest set of criteria for the diagnosis he reached, whether that diagnosis is correct is of course a different story.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:56 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Domestic violence is really a very difficult subject to understand.........some women (and maybe men too) seem to gravitate toward partners who abuse them. It is like they feel they deserve that kind of treatment. I worked with a girl who would come into work with black eyes, bruises, and one time with cracked ribs. Our manager was an ex cop and we sat her down more than once and told her that she needed help to get out of that relationship, but she kept defending him and saying "she wasn't easy to live with either." She seemed to pick one loser after another.

The sin in this Jodi thing is that when people like her yell wolf it detracts from women who really are victims of violence and who legitimately need help. Jodi was no more a victim of domestic violence than I am.

Don

Old 03-26-2013, 05:24 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
[quote=Lady Ice;28848536]Wow, you really have a problem admitting when you are wrong don't you? There is no such thing as the DSM-IVR. There is only the DSM-IV and the DSM-IV-TR. Interesting that you use the link I provided for you so that you could know what you're talking about, and you still are spreading misinformation.
[color="Blue"]

Lady Ice,

I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong WHEN I'm wrong. I am not giving inaccurate information. It may be information you've not seen previously. That does not make it inaccurate.

Here are a few links that are from many sources documenting DSM - IVR. I guess all these articles, training sessions were just a misprint or coincidence ......even the article from Australia?

1. DSM-IV-R diagnostic criteria

2. Clinical Social Work

3. http://wings.buffalo.edu/aru/SashaAddiction.ppt

4. Interpersonal psychotherapy with ... [J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI

5. LADY ICE - PLEASE REVIEW THIS ONE GIVEN WHERE THE ARTICLED ORIGINATED.

Investigation of target plasma concentration... [Ther Drug Monit. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

"Investigation of target plasma concentration-effect relationships for olanzapine in schizophrenia."

Source

Departments of Pharmacy and Psychiatry, Graylands Selby-Lemnos and Special Care Health Services, Mt Claremont, Western Australia, Australia.

"Fifty-three patients (mean age 32 years; 40 M, 13 F) with a DSM-IVR diagnosis of schizophrenia completed a 6-week trial of oral olanzapine"

6. [An analysis of the causes of dementi... [Zhonghua Nei Ke Za Zhi. 2003] - PubMed - NCBI

There is no reason to add more links there are hundreds. I believe there are very intelligent folks posting here who can research this further if they wish. They certainly don't need to believe me - online searches are easy.

I acknowledge YOU may not have been taught about DSM IV-R in Australia given how many U.S. insurance companies and U.S. laws you aren't required to follow. That is very possible. However, I think there is plenty of evidence DSM - IVR not only was printed that articles and clinical practices changed based on it, not only in the U.S. but elsewhere too.

I hope you admit DSM - IVR was published and used even if you weren't trained how it was different. I won't pretend to understand why you didn't research it online.

And I hope you can finally put this one to rest given the evidence above.

MSR

Old 03-26-2013, 07:04 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Has anyone noticed a softer lens filter used when Nancy Grace is on camera?

Old 03-26-2013, 08:01 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post

Most definitely. Too bad they don't use a softer audio filter on her.....

Old 03-26-2013, 09:47 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
Most definitely. Too bad they don't use a softer audio filter on her.....
God, that woman annoys me. If I were one of her guests and she was rude to me the way she treats her other guests I would have to rip into her a little.

Something just dawned on me. I think Jodi is enjoying this whole experience. I know that sounds weird, but that is because we think differently than she does. If you look at the interviews, the mug shot, and just the general way she acts, she is loving all this attention directed at her. She even asked the cop if this was going to be on the evening news. I honestly believe in her twisted mind she thinks she is a celebrity.

Don

Old 03-27-2013, 01:25 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
God, that woman annoys me. If I were one of her guests and she was rude to me the way she treats her other guests I would have to rip into her a little.

Something just dawned on me. I think Jodi is enjoying this whole experience. I know that sounds weird, but that is because we think differently than she does. If you look at the interviews, the mug shot, and just the general way she acts, she is loving all this attention directed at her. She even asked the cop if this was going to be on the evening news. I honestly believe in her twisted mind she thinks she is a celebrity.
Don
You are very perceptible. Nothing can be further from the truth that she is enjoying her 15 minutes of fame and knowing that a movie is being made about her. In jail she'll be a celebrity forever and love every minute of it. She'll probably try to seduce the warden with her sociopathic ways.
Let's hope the jurors see through all this flim flam hollywood style court case and convict her of 1st degree murder and send he away for life without parole. Everything points to premeditation. Trying to twists the facts from her defense counsel is rediculous.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:21 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,199,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
You are very perceptible. Nothing can be further from the truth that she is enjoying her 15 minutes of fame and knowing that a movie is being made about her. In jail she'll be a celebrity forever and love every minute of it. She'll probably try to seduce the warden with her sociopathic ways.
Let's hope the jurors see through all this flim flam hollywood style court case and convict her of 1st degree murder and send he away for life without parole. Everything points to premeditation. Trying to twists the facts from her defense counsel is rediculous.
Life without parole is what she deserves for sure.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:31 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Court has been canceled today, it will resume tomorrow at 9:30AM PST.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:33 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post

Yes, thank god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime