Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 10:09 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

I am not making light of this but I will say that I'll just take my chances. If I were to wait for someone else to be there, I wouldn't have anything get done.

Besides, my boy dog scares the crap out of anyone who comes in to my home. He barks and growls and does a lot of spit talking. I always get asked, "Will he bite?" I always answer, "He could". And I keep him by my side the entire time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 PM

192 posts, read 348,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
So what can we do if we need work done when DH is not home? I need somebody to come to my home to handle a boatload of ebay sales and have 2 people who are interested. I found them on CD. How can I check them out? I was hoping to get women but both are men. I have too much to take anywhere and I don't want the stuff taken out of my house until shipping anyway. I have a place set up for them to work here but it would be when I'm home alone. Should I even try this?
When I had to have a man over when my husband was gone, I opened up all the blinds and the front door and pretty much made it so that anyone could see inside, I stayed near the front door on the couch the whole time and never went into any other room with him. Also I suggest hiding something on you for defense just incase. Maybe put some pepper spray and a pocket knife in your pocket, or a handgun if you have one and your phone incase you need to call 911. Just plan for the worst. Also, maybe let a male neighbor that you trust know what is going on and have him call you every hour or so, or come by to check on you every once in a while.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:18 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Where I lived before, I had a young woman come to the door, acted like she was casing the joint. She was bumbling over her words, etc.. We think she was selling home alarms, but after 5-10 minutes, I asked her, "What are you selling"? Not sure to this day if she was selling home alarms. Beyond bizarre. The neighbor across the street called the sherriff on her just in case. I told her (in case she was up to no good) that I had all the protection I needed, a gun & my dog. "Is the dog vicious,"? she asked. "Yes," I said, "and unpredictable." Husky dog would chase a hotdog maybe and no gun, but whatever, I didn't wanna take any chances.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:57 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
This occurs often to elderly or disabled people, especially in Florida. A person will have some work done on their home, and "coincidentally" have a home invasion within a month or so...happened to several people I know personally.

My opinion, having work done on a home is not a time to save money and call some random person in the want ads...or pick up a panhandler (As Elizabeth Smart 's Mother did). I go with a licensed, bonded agency. If the guy seems "creepy" to me, forget it. Many companies send out a team, a plumber and a helper, for protection from liability.

As a single female, I have had workers come to my home, usually a referral from folks at my church. No problems.
1. You know of several home invasions? I have lived in South Florida for over 35 years and don't recall knowing a single person that had a home invasion situation!
2. Companies do not send out a team, pairs of workers to protect from liability.....it simply allows them to charge more and keep more of their workers busy vs guys sitting around the shop.
3. Church referrals are always trouble free? I have found churches to be a haven for the troubled, recovering addicts, sex offending clergy, etc.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:01 AM

568 posts, read 962,223 times
Well since I am pro active and have a CHL and am trained in self defense...if any one of the those guys tried anything with me he would be wearing his balls as earrings!!! So welcome to my home to do your job that I am paying you for and everything will be alright.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:34 PM

2,619 posts, read 3,149,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
Well since I am pro active and have a CHL and am trained in self defense...if any one of the those guys tried anything with me he would be wearing his balls as earrings!!! So welcome to my home to do your job that I am paying you for and everything will be alright.
I like the way you think. I think every woman should be armed, every man too. Most people are OK but the bad apple is always out there somewhere. If you happen to get him, you are ready. You being armed is no threat to me but deadly to the bad guy.

Also, when I work in someone's home, I generally let them dictate any conversation, other than what I need to ask. I can be as quiet or as chatty as you like, unless my work is especially tedious, when I can't work and talk at the same time. A lonely shutin with little company might want to talk a lot and that is fine. People who are more private don't like to talk much and that's OK too. I keep it to what I need to ask/tell, etc.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:43 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times
These are ones that stand out in my mind.

Adrienne Shelly - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EDNA SANTOS v. SCOTT VILLA APARTMENTS, B207774, January 28, 2010 - CA Court of Appeal | FindLaw

Old 06-05-2013, 01:51 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
This has nothing to do with this thread. The killers were NOT hired by the victims, they were followed. The cases are not even that similar.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:26 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,837,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
This has nothing to do with this thread. The killers were NOT hired by the victims, they were followed. The cases are not even that similar.
No, it's exactly the same

Old 06-05-2013, 10:22 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,946 times
This kinda reminds me of that female realtor who was murdered during a showing of a house. There are many circumstances that could lead to this topic. Women cleaners or any woman who does a service in ones home. Idk what i think. I have been alone many times with men coming in my home for a service and have never felt threatened. They were always nice and ususally are in a pair. But this def makes me think now to be more cautious and maybe have a friend over. Or if feel trusting of people being in your home, stay outside while they are inside.Or tell themyou will be next door so they think someone else is around. Or hang with the dogs outside. I honestly usually wonder how they feel about being in my house, like they seem nervous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime