Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I agree, taking babies and toddlers into the store for quick errands, esp. a series of them, is tough. But you just do it. My first two children are a year apart. Even if all I needed was milk it involved- unbuckling 2 car seats, dragging in a baby carrier with one hand, while wrangling a toddler with the other. And then trying to get them both arranged in a buggy- because you can't hold a baby carrier, a toddler's hand, and a gallon of milk at the same time, then to the back of the store for milk, and redo the rest of the process for the way out. It's a pain no doubt, and would only take a minute or two without the babies, but parents still have to do the right thing. The crux is good parenting is doing the right thing, even when it isn't easy.

I have much more sympathy for parents who forget. There was a pastor who drove his baby to preschool one day. He didn't normall do that, and completely forgot she was in the car. When he remembered at 10 am, the baby was dead. Several people walked by the car, but assumed the parent was just running inside the church for a minute and din't do anything.

I have seen kids in a car twice, both times I stood beside the car until the parents came out. Both times the parents came out within 5 minutes, and I nicely reminded them that leaving children in the car is against the law. If it had been any longer, I would have called the police. I'm normally not confrontational but I think we all have a responsibility to stand up for defenseless children.

It takes a village to raise a child, I am so glad that you got out of your own world, in order to help someone with theirs. Sometimes parents don't think, people period. I'm glad people like you are there to lend an extra pair of hands, eyes, compassion, heart, advice, etc.

I hope we get back to "the village" mentality, there might be fewer deaths and murders if this happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
She was not cheating on her husband
He died a couple month earlier

Then shyt WHY didn't she just invite his butt over her house and get it on there?! Or get a hotel or something??!! This is even more ludicrus

Old 01-30-2013, 08:53 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoulke View Post
Once again, having children does NOT make one a Mom.....I am speechless. I sure hope what she lost was worth what she got for it but I doubt that it is.
Exactly. It makes you a fertile mammal. I am so tired and sickened by events such as this! I hope they through the book at her!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:03 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,693,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
It takes a village to raise a child, I am so glad that you got out of your own world, in order to help someone with theirs. Sometimes parents don't think, people period. I'm glad people like you are there to lend an extra pair of hands, eyes, compassion, heart, advice, etc.

I hope we get back to "the village" mentality, there might be fewer deaths and murders if this happens.
While that was indeed admirable, I disagree with your notion that I'm responsible for the well being for another stranger's child and that I have to concern myself with them. I'm sure everyone has enough going on in their own lives.

I don't have children nor do I want them. I even took measures to prevent it. I don't want to be a parent so why should I be concerning myself with children? I'm not condemning what that person did because she obviously felt it was necessary. I just don't agree with the notion of you expecting me, someone else or an entire "village" to deal with a child.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:28 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Default 24 Years Old Knocking Boots In A Pick Up Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekingcreativity View Post
then shyt why didn't she just invite his butt over her house and get it on there?! Or get a hotel or something??!! This is even more ludicrus
+1

Old 01-31-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
While that was indeed admirable, I disagree with your notion that I'm responsible for the well being for another stranger's child and that I have to concern myself with them. I'm sure everyone has enough going on in their own lives.

I don't have children nor do I want them. I even took measures to prevent it. I don't want to be a parent so why should I be concerning myself with children? I'm not condemning what that person did because she obviously felt it was necessary. I just don't agree with the notion of you expecting me, someone else or an entire "village" to deal with a child.

Well if that's how you feel then don't do it. Didn't say it is your responsibility, I'm just saying it does take a village to raise a child, all of that individualistic mentality has gotten us where we are now. No one is looking out for one another, no one cares about one another, then you expect someone to look out for you, and if you don't ok; you do you. Don't care, just go on about your business, my statement I guess should not pertain to you. I love being a human, I can make a choice to do something or not.

Westerners have been fed the, "Look out for me and mine only" crap too many times and fail to see that we are all connected to one another. Just saying.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:29 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,800 times
Quote:

Because you are human?

Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I want to comment on this thread. I think the idea of a parent having an affair and allowing their kids to die in a car while its occurring is particularly revolting.

However, most situations where children are left in cars are much more ordinary. Mom wanted to run into the grocery store on a hot summer day and thought the baby would be all right for five minutes. She forgot that the child was in the car and returned an hour later. That is what is more common. I empathize on some levels because I remember when my own children were young, the challenges involved in getting them out of the car and into a stroller or carrier whenever a trip to the store had to be made. Parents should always take their kids out of the car. Yet, it doesn't always happen and we all know it doesn't.

There is a crime of negligent homicide. Penalties for negligent homicide shouldn't be akin to those for premeditated murder. What's lacking is criminal intent. How harshly should something that is a mistake (albeit, a really bad one) be punished? I think there are a variety of factors to be considered:

1. How bad was the mistake? Was it a situation where the parent forgot about their child for one hour or for one day?

2. Was the parent under the influence of alcohol or drugs?

3. Has the parent made a similar mistake in the past?

4. Did the parent have any other criminal record?

Once again, I see some people here who seem to think that the solution to all the problems in the world is to lock someone for just about ever. The law in most states would not impose a penalty of more than a few years (at the most) because what we are talking about is punishing someone for an accident.

A parent in this situation is careless and I agree there needs to be a penalty. Unless they are under the influence of alcohol or drugs, I wouldn't use an adjective like "murderer" to describe them. I would use adjectives like stupid, idiotic, brainless, etc.

On another note, if I had ever done something like this as a parent, I don't think the legal system would have to worry about me. I think there are some situations in life, where perhaps a person should take their own life. In my own state, we had a situation once where a parent left his toddler in a pickup truck while he was out hunting. The kid got out of the truck and wandered off. He was found weeks later, dead of exposure to the cold. The father chose to kill himself. I think there are times when suicide may be appropriate.
I can remember one of my friends' fiance' accidentally left their son in the car. Thankfully, it wasn't hot out or too cold and he a was pizza delivery driver so he was in and out of the car. Their sitter couldn't come to the house and he was supposed to drop the baby off, but since it was the first time he'd ever had to do so, he forgot, and went straight to work. Went in, did his thing for a few minutes, came out with a pizza and realized "oops there's the baby". He of course took the child straight to the sitter's and was very shaken up. The baby was fine and is now a healthy 17 year old.
We all shudder to think how awful it could have been, but sometimes awful mistakes happen.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,489 times
Quote:

I have to agree. I'm a parent to my OWN kids. I don't want to be part of the "village", and I rather HATE that notion. My kids are MY kids and not anyone else's concern, unless they or I ask for help of some sort, and it's not my responsibility while sitting at the laundromat to keep someone else's kid from sticking a paper clip in an electrical outlet. And yes, I saw some little kid attempt to do just that while mom was over conversing with someone. I said rather loudly, "where's your mother?" It served the purpose...everyone including "mom' turned to look. But really, I shouldn't have to...it's not MY job.

And not everyone likes kids, wants kids or even values them, at least not above anyone else...and that doesn't make them evil either.

BTW, I love MY kids just fine, and some of my friends kids, but kids in general, I don't care to deal with.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:07 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,800 times
Its not about whether it is your job or your responsibility, these kids can get really hurt or die, not everyone is born to perfect parents, and even perfect parents forget. Whether it's children or adults, I think we all have a little responsibility to each other. If you're walking behind someone into the grocery store and they drop a 20, you wouldn't pick it up or at least alert the person. It's not your job or responsibility, but we do things like this. These are children for Christ's sake! Are we all so self absorbed? This is the problem with this country. Mine and me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime