Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 02:06 PM

88,077 posts, read 83,946,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
I read this story on CNN today and the article made it sound like she was a "tourist". I think this is a drug deal gone bad, what do you think?

Body of missing NY mother found in Turkey - CNN.com
This had been in the paper and on the news for a few days (since she didn't get off the plane in New York) before they found her body.

It just sounds weird. Supposedly she left her two young kids and husband home because she wanted a vacation "outside the box" and went to Turkey to photograph historic sites. A friend was supposed to travel with her but backed out. The husband went to Turkey to look for her, and then they found the body near this historic site. It sounds to me as if a part of the story is being left out.

What makes you think drug deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 02:10 PM

FYI, I would LOVE to visit Turkey. It's a big tourist draw, and it looks like such a beautiful place. I am a woman and I would not be afraid to go there (of course, I would keep to the major cities and public places, as I would in any foreign country).

I just don't see a mother with two little boys saying "hey, I'm going off to take pics in a foreign country, you guys stay home and eat leftover pizza." Now don't get me wrong--I'm not saying it's so wrong for a woman to do that, and I'm not saying it's her duty to stay home and watch her kids until they graduate from college. But, something's just odd.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:14 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,691,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyvictoria View Post
I worked in Turkey for 3 years as a US Government employee. It is actually a very safe country with low levels of crime. Most crimes against tourists will be pickpockets and such...Having said that, it is a big country and Istanbul is a major city. As such, it could be dangerous. She was staying in part of the city that is not considered very safe. I think it goes for any country, if you are traveling alone, you should stay in a location that is deemed safe by locals and tour guides etc... As far as the investigation is concerned, Turks will do an excellent job I am sure. This was an American tourist, they are extremely sensitive to how the world perceives them and tourism is a major industry. I expect they will find the responsible party pretty fast. Their police was generally very good at cooperating with us in these types of cases. I think they already accepted assistance from FBI on this case. It is a sad and tragic case.
From what I've heard, the craziness in the rest iof the Middle East is starting to catch fire in Turkey, though, too. I would stay away from rhere on that basis alone until things calm waaaaaaaaay down. Even though it is the most modern and cosmopolitan Muslim country, they are surrounded by weirdness right now.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:32 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,674,400 times
I dont think it really matters if you are alone, in a group or with a man...

Two recent stories of crime come to mind: The gang rape in new deli where the woman was traveling with a man. The other crime in Mexico where a group of women were victims of sexual assault.

I think its strange how these stories out of that area though always involve so many suspects and seem to act out in groups.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:18 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,578,355 times
This could happen anywheres really. I personally would have no problem traveling alone abroad. When my husband and I made trips to S. America, I felt I knew enough of the language and could navigate okay by myself if I had wanted to.Some people are more free-spirited and travel alone--maybe she was. It's just a tragedy that it happened to her and her family.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:14 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,068,372 times
The Turkish police are very good and "Westernized" compared to many Middle Eastern police forces and I have no doubt they will get to the bottom of this matter.

That being said I fin it very, very strange that an unemployed mother of 2 would leave behind her husband and kids to travel halfway across the world and take pictures of graffiti with her iPad. Something smells fishy to me. And the trips to Germany and the Netherlands increase my suspicions even further.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:49 PM

14,984 posts, read 23,775,922 times
Yeah this is clearly not what it seems...and I think it will be clear that her husband knew exactly why she was out there, and it was not to just "take pictures" (yeah, with her camera phone).

Sarai Sierra: New York mother 'hung out with criminal element during trip' | Mail Online

Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 PM

560 posts, read 1,545,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
....that her husband knew exactly why she was out there...
I think so too. He probably sent her or convinced her to do the drug thing. I highly doubt he is gainfully employed too. I guess we will have to wait for the investigation to end.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:03 PM

560 posts, read 1,545,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
.....What makes you think drug deal?

The trip to the Netherlands AND back to Turkey.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
The trip to the Netherlands AND back to Turkey.
Got it. At the time I asked, I didn't know about the side visit to Amsterdam. No, that doesn't sound good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime