Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 12:13 PM

560 posts, read 1,548,876 times

Advertisements

I read this story on CNN today and the article made it sound like she was a "tourist". I think this is a drug deal gone bad, what do you think?

Body of missing NY mother found in Turkey - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 02:04 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,868 times
Tragic story, but I think American women are deluded into believing that the rest of the world is as safe for them to travel alone in as it is in the U.S.A.

The friend who canceled on her travel plans at the last minute must be feeling awfully guilty right about now.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:42 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
I have a bunch of feelings on this. First, I don't believe it was drug deal. Not just based upon the information in the article however. Second, this is probably going to upset a few people and I'll have some harsh statements thrown my way (not like I'm not used too it), however why in the hell would her husband allow her to travel to this country (or any other) alone? Yes, I know MILLIONS of women travel the world alone and they don't have problems. Goody goody gum drops for them. Tell that to this woman who is now dead. Like it or not, it is not a good idea to allow single women (yes, I know she was married, however that matters not to anyone, including the married woman) to travel places alone. It is just asking for trouble.

Next, the article states she made "online friends through Instagram." Well guess what race fans, she was going to meet up with some of these friends and "discuss" photography. Uh huh. Well, that may well be true. However, your main suspect is going to be one of these people she met up with.

He obviously thought the meeting was going to be for "a little bit more." And maybe it was. However, something went wrong and she is now dead.

The hardest part of this entire investigation is going to be the Turks. We have no clue what their idea of an investigation is and how they process a crime scene.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:00 PM

49 posts, read 369,432 times
I seen this on the news. First thing i thought was why is this women alone in Turkey. Its a tragic situation

Old 02-03-2013, 07:53 PM

[quote=Phil306;28079790]...First, I don't believe it was drug deal. Not just based upon the information in the article however.quote]

They said she went to Amsterdam and returned to Turkey! In other words, she entered Turkey twice (once from the States and a second time from Amsterdam). That sounds VERY suspicious to me. I think maybe she went to deliver the drugs to Amsterdam and returned to Turkey to get paid for that "service" but instead of getting paid, she got murdered. Just my two cents..

Old 02-03-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigprn View Post
...why is this women alone in Turkey. ..
Sounds like she was on an UNofficial "business".

Old 02-03-2013, 08:03 PM

275 posts, read 773,407 times
I worked in Turkey for 3 years as a US Government employee. It is actually a very safe country with low levels of crime. Most crimes against tourists will be pickpockets and such...Having said that, it is a big country and Istanbul is a major city. As such, it could be dangerous. She was staying in part of the city that is not considered very safe. I think it goes for any country, if you are traveling alone, you should stay in a location that is deemed safe by locals and tour guides etc... As far as the investigation is concerned, Turks will do an excellent job I am sure. This was an American tourist, they are extremely sensitive to how the world perceives them and tourism is a major industry. I expect they will find the responsible party pretty fast. Their police was generally very good at cooperating with us in these types of cases. I think they already accepted assistance from FBI on this case. It is a sad and tragic case.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:41 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I have a bunch of feelings on this. First, I don't believe it was drug deal. Not just based upon the information in the article however. Second, this is probably going to upset a few people and I'll have some harsh statements thrown my way (not like I'm not used too it), however why in the hell would her husband allow her to travel to this country (or any other) alone? Yes, I know MILLIONS of women travel the world alone and they don't have problems. Goody goody gum drops for them. Tell that to this woman who is now dead. Like it or not, it is not a good idea to allow single women (yes, I know she was married, however that matters not to anyone, including the married woman) to travel places alone. It is just asking for trouble.

Next, the article states she made "online friends through Instagram." Well guess what race fans, she was going to meet up with some of these friends and "discuss" photography. Uh huh. Well, that may well be true. However, your main suspect is going to be one of these people she met up with.

He obviously thought the meeting was going to be for "a little bit more." And maybe it was. However, something went wrong and she is now dead.

The hardest part of this entire investigation is going to be the Turks. We have no clue what their idea of an investigation is and how they process a crime scene.
I have to say that I totally agree with you about the safety of traveling alone. Heck, it really isn't safe traveling alone in the U.S. I also agree about the online "friends" it just isn't safe to assume that people are who they say they are. As much as there are many wonderful people in the world, there only has to be that "one"
What a tragedy for this woman, and her young family. Rest in peace.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:20 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
You wouldn't "allow" single women to travel alone? This isn't Saudi Arabia...adult women are "allowed" some freedom here. You said yourself that millions of women travel alone without issues. It was a rare occurence, that's why it made the news. Obviously anyone traveling to a foreign country, male or female, should be smart enough to take certain precautions but she could have done everything right and just been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Those things happen everyday in the U.S. too. BTW, the homicide rate is higher in the U.S. (4.8% in 2012) than it is in Turkey (3.3%).

I haven't been to Turkey but I lived in a Turkish neighborhood in Germany (alone ) for years and knew plenty of women who went there for vacations and had no issues whatsoever other than being haggled to buy carpets and such.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:24 PM

21 posts, read 35,824 times
hi guys im a Turkish living in istanbul.
first of all, police is working very hard to solve the issue, and her loss and investigation progress is in top 3 news every day..
Turkish people wouldnt react this much if it had been a native's murder.
Citizens are mad coz such crime damages our reputation badly.

our police worx closely with FBi, they asked from google the gmail logs of her account- that she used to communicate with others.
presonally i think it may be a drug or diamond deal went wrong , there was no signs of rape on her body.

we have cameras watching major streets 24H and she was tracked and caught with a few cameras.
police so far queried over 10 people and public opnion is she was our guest and its a pride issue to find the killers.
istanbul police chief who oversees 30000 police follows it day by day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime