Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2014, 05:23 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy68 View Post
Listening to just a little bit of the trial, he is quite convincing of his innocence.

Will be interested to see how it all ends for him.
Naw, not if you know the whole story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 06:51 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
This is an opinion piece, but I found it to be an interesting perspective:

Oscar Pistorius – what his performance may prove about his mental state

Old 04-11-2014, 06:03 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Oh my, I hadn't heard that he found a new gf already. For crying out loud (literally), has this guy no sense at all. Course that information can't be allowed in, but still...says alot about him.
I have never understood how people can be involved with known or suspected criminals. I read something just the other day that Ted Bundy received bags and bags and bags of love letters with many marriage proposals. I know some will argue they need love too, but relationships are hard enough without worrying if you'll be killed by your partner.

Beyond that, did anybody read where Pistorious said he never told Reeva that he loved her? How does THAT help him case?

Old 04-11-2014, 08:22 AM

I have fired a gun a handful of times. I've read all the recent articles and I'm still not sure how a person can shoot through a door FOUR times and not hear anything on the other side. For one, he wouldn't know if she was sitting or standing or crouching. So, unless he hit her with a fatal shot the first time, just the sound of the weapon's rapport would have been alarming. Even a burglar probably would have screamed out "Okay, stop shooting!" or something, right?

Can someone explain this to me? I'm not really following how it's possible for him to not know she was on the other side of the door.

ETA: Now, he is saying he made a mistake in the trial evidence.
http://www.nbcnews.com/#/storyline/p...vidence-n77526

Last edited by mjd07; 04-11-2014 at 09:37 AM..

Old 04-11-2014, 12:30 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
Default how it's possible for him to not know she was on the other side of the door.

it's not possible.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:15 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
I've read all the recent articles and I'm still not sure how a person can shoot through a door FOUR times and not hear anything on the other side.
Believe me; I am not defending him! But; yes it is possible to not hear anything until after the last shot is fired. That 9mm he used can fire very quick. The noise from consecutive shots would have masked any background noise. However; I do not know how quickly he fired those shots? If he took his time and fired them; then screams could possible be heard from the other side of the door.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:40 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Believe me; I am not defending him! But; yes it is possible to not hear anything until after the last shot is fired. That 9mm he used can fire very quick. The noise from consecutive shots would have masked any background noise. However; I do not know how quickly he fired those shots? If he took his time and fired them; then screams could possible be heard from the other side of the door.
Pistorious had previously claimed he yelled at Reeva to "call the police".

Pistorius Murder Trial Told He Spoke to Steenkamp as He Shot Her - Bloomberg

Quote:
Nel told the High Court in Pretoria, South Africa’s capital, today it was impossible to believe Pistorius’s version that he was yelling to Steenkamp to call the police and she uttered no response while in a nearby toilet cubicle, standing facing the door.
“She is three meters away from you in the toilet and she never uttered a word. It’s not possible. She would be scared,” Nel said. “She was standing there talking to you when you shot her.”
And we are supposed to believe that Reeva didn't reply back to him from inside the bathroom?

He was screaming to Reeva BEFORE he went to the bathroom:

Oscar Pistorius murder trial: live - Telegraph
Quote:
He said he heard a noise in the bathroom and moved down a passage on his stumps toward the bathroom while screaming to his girlfriend - who he claims he had believed was in the bedroom - to get down and call the police.
Pistorius says he then heard what sounded like the toilet door slamming; then kept quiet as he reached the bathroom entrance; then heard a noise in the toilet that he perceived to be the sound of wood on wood, which he said made him think someone was opening the toilet door - which he said fit badly in the frame - to attack him. And then, Pistorius said, he opened fire.
Pistorius claimed to hear a noise from the bathroom while he was in the bedroom.

So obviously Reeva would have easily heard Pistorius scream, and she would have responded back from the bathroom.

There is no possible way Pistorius is telling the truth.

Quote:
12.37 It is interesting that Oscar Pistorius did not dispute the idea that Reeva was standing facing the door when she was shot.
The court heard from the prosecution's ballistics expert Christian Mangena earlier in the trial that the trajectory of the bullets indicated Reeva was standing up in the toilet cubicle when she was hit in the right hip by the first of four bullets. It looked likely, during cross examination of Mr Mangena, that the defence would try and dispute this evidence later in the trial.
After Reeva was hit in the hip by the first bullet ... she certainly would have screamed.

So why would he continue to fire 3 more bullets?

Maybe he just kept firing until she STOPPED screaming ?

Last edited by RD5050; 04-11-2014 at 03:02 PM..

Old 04-11-2014, 02:42 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
I have fired a gun a handful of times. I've read all the recent articles and I'm still not sure how a person can shoot through a door FOUR times and not hear anything on the other side. For one, he wouldn't know if she was sitting or standing or crouching. So, unless he hit her with a fatal shot the first time, just the sound of the weapon's rapport would have been alarming. Even a burglar probably would have screamed out "Okay, stop shooting!" or something, right?
It depends on how fast he fired. When John Hinckley attempted to assassinate President Reagan in 1981, he fired six shots in 1.7 seconds. It would be trivially easy to fire four shots before anyone could verbally react.

This is not to pass judgment on this individual's guilt - that I neither know what happened nor particularly care about. I'm just pointing out that issue you're describing is one without merit.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:29 PM

Thank you to all of you that explained how the shots could have happened so quickly in succession. I guess there is some comfort in knowing she probably died very quickly.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:57 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Oh my God that poor little girl.

What a brute.

Her mother's strength is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime