Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 12:47 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes. It is about protecting children. That's it. I'm not terribly worried about the rights of the parents who wish to cloister their children away from society.

I do believe in the protection of the innocent. That is true.

And homeschooling is but one way that some people who are intent on hurting children can do that with less interference. Same goes for "step parents on parade". Children have the right to he sanctity of their own homes.
Like I said, when you allow these things, they only get bigger.

Imagine that you, who adores her children, have gone along with this big government "law" that homeshoolers must be checked on. Then what happens is that the government decides it needs to check on every parent. You know, for the children. You aren't doing anything wrong, so maybe the first few times, you have no problem with it. But then, they drop by unannounced, at very inconvenient times, and start searching your entire home, just to make sure that you don't have anything in the home that would harmful to the kids. And they'll start coming up with all kinds of things that you can't have in your home because it could, potentially, be harmful to them. No, it doesn't matter that you have taught your kids not to drink the cleaners you store under your sink, the government will state they have the potential to be ingested, therefore, you cannot have those cleaners. They start removing all kinds of stuff from your home that you thought was okay. To add insult to injury, you now have to go to court to explain why you had those items in your house that were CLEARLY a potential hazard to your children.

They do this once a month, or maybe 10 times a month. And you have to sit there, on your living room couch, and do nothing else until they are done. While you are on the couch, you have two police officers standing guard over you as if you were guilty of a crime.

Think that's far fetched? You shouldn't if you think it's okay to subject homeschooled homes of the same. You do not want to go down this road. Checking up on homeschooled kids, making people get background checks to be a parent, treating people like they are guilty, is not going to resolve the problem of some adults killing kids. What you will do, however, is cause a lot of grief and fear for a lot of kids. Essentially, by "protecting" a few, you are damaging a whole lot more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 12:48 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You would be wrong in your assumption that no parent who home schools would have a problem with government intrusion in their lives. While it is very sad that this child died so brutally, you cannot hold everyone else in the country accountable for it. You ARE talking about infringing on peoples rights....and when you go there, you start sliding down that slope that you really do not want to slide down.

In your mind, it's about protecting children. What you are failing to see is that once you allow the government to start intruding on home schooled homes, you open the door to them intruding on many, many other facets of your life. And that includes you, personally. It would not stop at home schooled kids. It would grow, and continue, and you would not like the result one little bit.

People like to say, "if you aren't doing anything wrong, you shouldn't have a problem with it". I say, "the very fact that I'm not doing anything wrong is WHY I have a problem with it."

Old 12-31-2013, 12:51 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Yes. It is about protecting children. That's it. I'm not terribly worried about the rights of the parents who wish to cloister their children away from society.
In other words, you are opposed to the equal rights clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.

Also, the fact is that homeschooled children are often better prepared and able to engage with various segments of the global society than are government indoctrinated kids, because part of their education often places them in positions of service though out the world, where they interact with diverse cultures and do good things, such as build houses, feed the hungry, dig a needed well, or simply pray with people.

It seems that you are uninformed and misguided concerning the reality of homeschool education.

Stop being so narrow-minded and hateful.

Open your mind and become educated.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:15 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Whoa, let's hold up on the insty-kwik diagnosis! It sounds more like the boyfriend is a garden-variety batterer who picked on the most vulnerable member of his household, as they all do. Almost none of these guys are mentally ill, psychopathic or show any other signs of a problem other than low coping skills and short tempers. The mom (if I'm right) was similarly chosen for vulnerability -- timid, insecure, unable to cope, easy to push around. He may have been pounding on her, too -- a lot of moms in her position are so intimidated they get to believing anything the batterer says, like "your toddler deserved that fractured skull I gave him." Or she may be comfortable with what he does to her kids because she was raised that way herself, and she believes it's good for him. That's not sociopathy. That's emotional numbness and denial.

"Sociopath" is a rare condition. You hear about these cases every week and almost none of the people involved are sociopathic.
She is a grown woman who gave birth to children. She is not a victim she was in control and she failed her son because he didn't matter to her.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:38 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Yes, It's happened again.

Yesterday, Zaryl Bush was sentenced to thirty years to life for the brutal beating death of young Teddy Foltz. The beating was administered in the presence of Teddy eight year old twin brothers.

This was not a one time event. Beatings, torture and ridicule were a part of daily life for the three boys and their mother's sadistic male companion. When Teddy died at Akron Children's Hospital he was found to have frost bitten feet, the result of being thrown out in the cold by Bush.

The boys once attended public school, but once the school started asking questions Bush and the boy's mother, removed them and decided to "home school" them, thus isolating them from others.

Neighbors reported seeing Bush force Teddy to walk on hot coals. The problem is, they reported it after he was murdered.

Judge Scott Kirchbaum called Bush "demonic" and said that he wished that he could sentience him to a longer term.

The twin brothers are now wards of the state.

I write about Teddy because I do not want him to be forgotten, Also because I am angry. At neighbors, relatives, and the school.

Time after time, it's the same scenario. Mother gets a boy friend or dad a girl friend and the children's lives turn to hell.

Children are removed from school. No questions are asked.

How many other times has this story played out?

I am sick of this. I have some ideas about how this could be avoided, but they involve changes in public policy that would restrict the rights of parents. It would require closer supervision of home schooled children and back ground checks of an unrelated adult - including a step parent who wishes to live in a home with minor children.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts... save the taxpayer's money and put a slug in the back of this lowlife scumbag's head!

Old 01-12-2014, 01:15 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Home schooling appears to be an issue that comes up repeatedly in serious child abuse cases that end in death. Previous to the advent of home schooling, delinquency was (and still is) linked to cases of egregious physical child abuse.
It still is. However, now guardians can apply for home schooling if they are too drunk or lazy to take there children to school or, if they want to use their child or children as a human punching bag.

There is no longer the need to deal with truant officers after your child was whipped with a belt or burned with your boyfriends cigaret.

Getting back to the step parent, insignificant other, boy and girl friend issue.
I had a step son in my home from ages 13 through 18. I would have had no problem whatsoever submitting to a background check, were that the law.

We adopted one of our children and underwent a rigorous back ground check called a "home study". I was fine with that.

Do all people who home school their children abuse their kids? Of course not! But a significant number do. In the past, they just pulled the kid out of school. (see Sylvia Likens, murdered 1965)
Truant officers visited the home and were turned away by the non related woman who was "caring" for her and told that she left school. In reality she was being starved and tortured to death in the basement.

Flash forward to 201o, when Zahara Baker, a 10 year old cancer survivor's spotty school record was investigated by the public schools in Hickory NC.
Her vicious "step mother" (common law girl friend of her father) pulled her out of school with the express intent of "home schooling" her.

Little Zahara's body was never found.

I'm tired of all of this!

Actually I home schooled one of my children for a semester because that child did not want to enter school in the middle of the year. If the local district wanted to check us out, look at the curriculum or visit my home, I'd have been fine with that.

This is not a referendum on homeschooling.

It is a plea that we, as a society to a better job of protecting our youngest and most vulnerable members.

The loosening of morals that permits not only step parents, but multiple boy and girlfriends (many met online, as was the case of Zahara Baker's murderer) to enter the home of a child, combined with the advent and acceptance by some of "home schooling", have created a dangerous situation for enough children that this situation needs to be addressed.

The most UNSAFE place for a child in this country is in his or her HOME. That needs to change.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:14 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times
I only read the title here, but this is where I believe eye for an eye. The boyfriend should be beat to death. If only these nancys could look at reality, life and death, the wild, we could see eye to eye.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Info 101: Step-parents and child abuse - Seattle Public Education | Examiner.com

I thought that this might be of interest. The case involves both a stepmother and home schooling.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:03 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Yet another mother with "ADWD." Usually, it's a baby or toddler proving that it's not the cleaning agents under the kitchen cabinet that are most dangerous to children, but their mothers' boyfriends.

How sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime