Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 07:28 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,131 times

Advertisements

An unknown one, like Jack the Ripper.

Of course, any conversation would probably be unproductive, because all indications point to a disorganized serial killer with poor social skills, possibly with hints of mental retardation. The fact that he murdered most of his victims right where they stood without bothering to lure or seduce them to another location pretty much defeats the notion that he was some high-class gentleman with sophisticated social graces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 07:42 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
How do interviewers "regroup" after spending hours communicating with a serial killer, e.g., manson, dalmer, etc. (refuse to capitalize their names). Do they have dinner and drinks with associates/friends afterwards? Do they go home and shower? Do they pray? Do they exercise? Do they do ALL that stuff (and more)? How long does it take to recover from experiencing such darkness?
What a strange world this is ...

Many of them are academics who specialize in abnormal psychologies or have extensive medical, media, or law enforcement backgrounds dealing with such, so I imagine for them it's just another day at work.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:31 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,653,909 times
None but the scary thing is we may have met one and never known it.
Saw part of an interview once and can't remember the guys name but will never forget what he said, "If you are a man and met me, you would want to be my best friend and I would want to be yours but don't leave me alone with your wife or you won't have one."
I will never forget that, it has stayed with me for over 20 years. Then he went on to tell what he would like to do, really scary stuff.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:32 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Charles Starkweather. I was a teen when he killed and the story utterly fascinated me. I almost kinda had a crush on him, not really being fully aware of everything he did. I still remember how sad I was the night he was executed.

I suppose I would rather meet his girlfriend, Caril Ann. I would love to hear her words as to how on earth she got so wrapped up in him. She was a teen, like me, and I suppose easily influenced by an older "bad boy" fella who made her feel special.

Sad, sad. I hope she has found peace.
I just watched a documentary on Charles Starkweather last week. My friend and became curious about what happened to Caril Ann Fugate. She was released from prison after serving 17 years and now lives in quiet anonymity with her husband, who is a weather-observer reporting precipitation levels from wherever they live. She maintains that she did not actually ever kill anyone.

I think I would like to speak with Charles Manson. His lawyer once said that speaking to him on subjects other than the murders was very interesting. He had a lot of stories to tell. Don't get me wrong--it wouldn't make me think he was all birdies and flowers, but I would just like to see what it's like to hear a madman like him sounding normal.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-13-2013 at 02:44 PM..

Old 07-13-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
How do interviewers "regroup" after spending hours communicating with a serial killer, e.g., manson, dalmer, etc. (refuse to capitalize their names). Do they have dinner and drinks with associates/friends afterwards? Do they go home and shower? Do they pray? Do they exercise? Do they do ALL that stuff (and more)? How long does it take to recover from experiencing such darkness?
What a strange world this is ...
I once attended a writer's conference, and we listened to an interview with Andrew Vachss, a crime novelist. Vachss also has real-life experience as an attorney for children in the child-protection field.

In the interview, Vachss described a situation wherein he was in a prison interviewing a man who had raped his own one-year-old daughter. The man had said, "Why does anyone care if I have sex with my own baby? She's MY baby and if I want to have sex with her, it should be no one else's business."

Vachss said his first instinct was to kill this man. He would have been able to do it before anyone could stop him--they were only a couple of feet apart, and he would have been able to kill this man before the prison guards could get to him and stop him.

Of course, he stopped himself from his own instincts, but he said that when he went home, and in other situations similar to that one where you are exposed to the worst evil humanity has to offer, he would pour his emotions into his writing. He didn't necessarily write ABOUT what he had experienced that day, but his writing was his release to get rid of whatever he had picked up from associating with such people. It was very interesting.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
None but the scary thing is we may have met one and never known it.
Saw part of an interview once and can't remember the guys name but will never forget what he said, "If you are a man and met me, you would want to be my best friend and I would want to be yours but don't leave me alone with your wife or you won't have one."
I will never forget that, it has stayed with me for over 20 years. Then he went on to tell what he would like to do, really scary stuff.
That's a really good point.

I remember when Ted Bundy was first arrested and making the news. My friend, who was in her 20s and single and dating said, "I would have gone for this guy right away. Good-looking, and a lawyer, nice smile, friendly. It would have been so easy to think I just met a great guy."

Old 07-13-2013, 03:30 PM

2,757 posts, read 3,999,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's a really good point.

I remember when Ted Bundy was first arrested and making the news. My friend, who was in her 20s and single and dating said, "I would have gone for this guy right away. Good-looking, and a lawyer, nice smile, friendly. It would have been so easy to think I just met a great guy."
Yes, and that's what makes serial killers so lethal (other than the obvious). They can look so good and be so "charming". Some of them could sell ice to Eskimos.

They can also say what you want to hear. Maybe they have an innate ability to "read" people. If they weren't so evil, they'd probably make good therapists.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:20 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
Edmund Kemper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This guy is interesting, are serial killers produced by their environment? This guy seems to have had a messed up family, and that sent him over the edge. Maybe if he had a normal Mother, he would not have become a serial killer. Or would some form of early intervention have helped him? If so, what, and when?

Old 07-13-2013, 04:44 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Edmund Kemper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This guy is interesting, are serial killers produced by their environment? This guy seems to have had a messed up family, and that sent him over the edge. Maybe if he had a normal Mother, he would not have become a serial killer. Or would some form of early intervention have helped him? If so, what, and when?
The mother issues seem to be classic.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:19 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times
Gary Ridgway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think about this case every time I drive over the Green River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime