Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:22 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillianshae713 View Post
I'm an absolute True Crime/Serial Killer enthusiast. As a 21 year old woman, it's not something I like to brag about but I've been contemplating buying a book on the BTK killer, or really any of the notorious serial killers and if anyone has suggestions for the best ones out there, if you've read any in addition to the book by Robert Keppel. I think people should absolutely be more observant of people's behavior, at least the ones that are a bit closer to them (neighbors, family, friends, coworkers). I think it's been drilled into people's heads not to judge people but I think it's also made them ignore some serious signs that shouldn't be ignored. Obviously there are some killers that have no warning signs, but otherwise people should be much more aware of their surroundings.
I've read a lot of BTK stuff, and the best book for me is:
Nightmare in Wichita: The Hunt for the BTK Strangler, by Robert Beattie.

This is the fella whose writing prompted BTK to come out into the open again, after all those years. In a way, you could say he is responsible for the capture of BTK.

I genuinely believe BTK gave off no warning signs. He was well liked by his co-workers. Later on as he worked in positions of authority (compliance officer in Park City), he made enemies, and rightfully so. He was a bully in the true sense of the word. But back when he was actively killing, he was young, handsome, normal.

In retrospect, there was a time I think I might have come in contact with BTK. But truthfully, I've never voiced my thoughts and really don't want to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:54 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I've read a lot of BTK stuff, and the best book for me is:
Nightmare in Wichita: The Hunt for the BTK Strangler, by Robert Beattie.

This is the fella whose writing prompted BTK to come out into the open again, after all those years. In a way, you could say he is responsible for the capture of BTK.

I genuinely believe BTK gave off no warning signs. He was well liked by his co-workers. Later on as he worked in positions of authority (compliance officer in Park City), he made enemies, and rightfully so. He was a bully in the true sense of the word. But back when he was actively killing, he was young, handsome, normal.

In retrospect, there was a time I think I might have come in contact with BTK. But truthfully, I've never voiced my thoughts and really don't want to know.

Well the waring sign would be that he was a bully of the first order. And the childhood animal torture thing was a dead give away.

Then he took a job as the ultimate animal bully. A dog warden who needlessly had animals killed.

Old 08-24-2013, 04:17 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I disagree about warning signs, too. These demented souls give off red flags like crazy--from childhood onward. If someone is observing. You don't just start killing people, or being the type that will/would. It builds up. Did anyone watch Piers Morgan last night? The kid killed his parents. Said the exact same thing--it builds up--w/ him the video games, the thoughts, all an escalation I believe. Does anyone seriously believe that this guy's wife didn't feel or know something strange about him. Common, unless she/they were anesthetized.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:33 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I disagree about warning signs, too. These demented souls give off red flags like crazy--from childhood onward. If someone is observing. You don't just start killing people, or being the type that will/would. It builds up. Did anyone watch Piers Morgan last night? The kid killed his parents. Said the exact same thing--it builds up--w/ him the video games, the thoughts, all an escalation I believe. Does anyone seriously believe that this guy's wife didn't feel or know something strange about him. Common, unless she/they were anesthetized.
I think so, too. These types also probably can sense those who "know" they are a off-balance, and so they would surround themselves with people who are not going to challenge them or make waves. Maybe the BTK's wife did feel something, but maybe she was also the type who wasn't going to say anything about it. Look at the wife of the guy who held Jaycee Dugard, for example. There's something WRONG with these women to begin with, and the sicko chose them for a reason.

I know a young man who graduated with my daughter. There's been something wrong with him since he was a boy. I know his mother, and when I first met the kid he was going into kindergarten and I told him that my daughter would be in his kindergarten class. He said to me, "I could kill your daughter." Six years old and that's what he says. I leaned down and said very quietly, "And then I would kill you."

A couple of years later, he told a teacher he was going to cut her throat. His mother just kind of rolled her eyes and laughed all this stuff off saying he was just trying to get attention and blaming his ADHD or whatever and everybody else was simply overreacting, but the kid was sent to a school in the area for kids who had behavioral problems. He came back for high school. When Virginia Tech happened, my daughter said, "Oh, if that happened at our school it would be 'Joe'." He walks around all the time pretending he has a rifle and stalking people.

The kids graduated and 'Joe' went into the Marines. He's in Afghanistan now. Apparently, he loves it, but if this guy ever flips out in the future and starts spraying bullets in a public place, nobody can claim they didn't see it coming.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:31 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Well the waring sign would be that he was a bully of the first order. And the childhood animal torture thing was a dead give away.

Then he took a job as the ultimate animal bully. A dog warden who needlessly had animals killed.
He wasn't a bully type until, as I said, later in life. People who worked with him at ADT thought he was a very nice, thoughtful, helpful young man. One woman even said she felt he somewhat protected her from those who told dirty jokes, etc.

And who knew about the childhood animal torture? He wasn't a dog catcher until much later.

What some of you seem to be forgetting was this happened in a time much, much different than today. DNA was unheard of back then, and profiling was just beginning to be considered in criminal behavior. It's highly unlikely anyone here would have thought of him as suspicious. Weird, maybe, but not a possible serial murderer. Not until toward the end of his killing career did he exhibit signs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
You should probably take a job with the FBI. lol.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
He wasn't a bully type until, as I said, later in life. People who worked with him at ADT thought he was a very nice, thoughtful, helpful young man. One woman even said she felt he somewhat protected her from those who told dirty jokes, etc.

And who knew about the childhood animal torture? He wasn't a dog catcher until much later.

What some of you seem to be forgetting was this happened in a time much, much different than today. DNA was unheard of back then, and profiling was just beginning to be considered in criminal behavior. It's highly unlikely anyone here would have thought of him as suspicious. Weird, maybe, but not a possible serial murderer. Not until toward the end of his killing career did he exhibit signs.

You should probably take a job with the FBI. lol.
Ha, maybe I have one now.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think so, too. These types also probably can sense those who "know" they are a off-balance, and so they would surround themselves with people who are not going to challenge them or make waves. Maybe the BTK's wife did feel something, but maybe she was also the type who wasn't going to say anything about it. Look at the wife of the guy who held Jaycee Dugard, for example. There's something WRONG with these women to begin with, and the sicko chose them for a reason.

I know a young man who graduated with my daughter. There's been something wrong with him since he was a boy. I know his mother, and when I first met the kid he was going into kindergarten and I told him that my daughter would be in his kindergarten class. He said to me, "I could kill your daughter." Six years old and that's what he says. I leaned down and said very quietly, "And then I would kill you."

A couple of years later, he told a teacher he was going to cut her throat. His mother just kind of rolled her eyes and laughed all this stuff off saying he was just trying to get attention and blaming his ADHD or whatever and everybody else was simply overreacting, but the kid was sent to a school in the area for kids who had behavioral problems. He came back for high school. When Virginia Tech happened, my daughter said, "Oh, if that happened at our school it would be 'Joe'." He walks around all the time pretending he has a rifle and stalking people.

The kids graduated and 'Joe' went into the Marines. He's in Afghanistan now. Apparently, he loves it, but if this guy ever flips out in the future and starts spraying bullets in a public place, nobody can claim they didn't see it coming.
Good point--they pick, choose (ie control) everything and everyone around them esp. people who won't respond to the demented beings that they are!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime