Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 05:26 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,494,972 times

Advertisements

Police officer charged in fatal shooting of unarmed man who had just survived car accident

Another wild man on the police force.

Police officer charged in fatal shooting of unarmed man who had just survived car accident

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 05:44 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
Sad. RIP

In explanation of the Smokey and the Bandit mishap,

Hillbilly - Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia

Old 09-15-2013, 06:31 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Tragic. Police officers really need more training, sounds like they made a judgement, and acted without all the information.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:16 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,334,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Sad. RIP

In explanation of the Smokey and the Bandit mishap,

Hillbilly - Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
I didn't find enough information in the news article to conclude that the policeman was a rural descendant of Ulster Scots settlers in Appalachia to come to the same conclusion. Furthermore, having read the link, I didn't find any really legitimate information about hillbillies, but rather a silly, racist sheet of slander against Appalachians of Scots Irish descent.

You should really check your sources before posting them otherwise one could leap to judgement regarding your character.

It was a tragic event and I hope that if there is any misconduct on the part of the officer, that he is prosecuted to the full extent of the law and not because someone thinks he is an inbred yokel.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:37 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,913,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I didn't find enough information in the news article to conclude that the policeman was a rural descendant of Ulster Scots settlers in Appalachia to come to the same conclusion. Furthermore, having read the link, I didn't find any really legitimate information about hillbillies, but rather a silly, racist sheet of slander against Appalachians of Scots Irish descent.

You should really check your sources before posting them otherwise one could leap to judgement regarding your character.

It was a tragic event and I hope that if there is any misconduct on the part of the officer, that he is prosecuted to the full extent of the law and not because someone thinks he is an inbred yokel.
As I read the article, I didn't see any information that might lead to a guilty verdict for this officer. In the absence of any other information, the officer will plead justification, will be supported by his colleagues and will be found not guilty.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:06 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
I have a couple of questions after this happened...

Why so many bullets were fired by one officer?

What was the cause of this young athlete to crash his car at that time of the night?

I wonder if there was drug abuse or alcohol in place or perhaps medication, steriods?

Under normal circumstances no person will crash his car like that and than go and knock on doors but usually call family, friends or 911.

This all should be taken in consideration before making any judgment since things may be different than it seems.

I'm not defending the cop but also not making any judgment on the cop until more comes out since from both sides it sounds kind of strange and suspicious.

I think it was smart of the woman not to open her door in the middle of the night. In Florida we have heard of people tied up when people act like this and knock on their doors, or open the faucet on the side of their house and knock on the door to tell about water issues and then get robbed...better save then sorry and which young person doesn't have a phone nowadays?

Of course the young person could have left his phone by accident...happened to me 1 time for 10 min. and I felt horrible in case something happens, but this is a midnight one sided crash and then running up to the police like a crazy person....normally you would expect people to listen to police orders unless he was in shock or unde the influence of something.

In the end a tragedy for both sides!

Old 09-19-2013, 11:25 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,600,702 times
What am I missing? Is there some evidence that the story is incorrect? I read, from the officers perspective, that a man was banging on a womans door in the early morning hours and scaring her. The police arrive and the man "charges" them. The three cops try to subdue the man and fail, one tries to tazer him and either misses or the tazer is ineffective. The cop that the man is focusing his attach upon apparently feels himself in personal danger and fires his weapon in self defense.

In those circumstances I would probably fire until the man stopped attacking as well.

It is sad that the event occurred, but without an obvious explanation as to why the Kerrick acted the way he did how could the cops react any other way? If the cop fired too many times, how do you determine the optimal number of rounds should be used to stop an attack?

Old 09-19-2013, 03:23 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,543,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
What am I missing? Is there some evidence that the story is incorrect? I read, from the officers perspective, that a man was banging on a womans door in the early morning hours and scaring her. The police arrive and the man "charges" them. The three cops try to subdue the man and fail, one tries to tazer him and either misses or the tazer is ineffective. The cop that the man is focusing his attach upon apparently feels himself in personal danger and fires his weapon in self defense.

It is sad that the event occurred, but without an obvious explanation as to why the Kerrick acted the way he did how could the cops react any other way? If the cop fired too many times, how do you determine the optimal number of rounds should be used to stop an attack?
The average person can't answer that question. You would need to read NC law, something the officer should have been aware.
According to the Charlotte Observer, police said initially that Kerrick's actions were “appropriate and lawful. But a subsequent investigation found the officer, who joined the Police Department in 2011, had "violated the law regarding voluntary manslaughter." Under North Carolina law, voluntary manslaughter is defined as killing without malice using "excessive force" in exercising "imperfect self-defense," the paper said.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Not everyone has a cell phone. It might have been damaged or lost in the accident.

He probably had a concussion and wasn't thinking clearly.

This is just so sad.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:37 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,961,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I have a couple of questions after this happened...

Why so many bullets were fired by one officer?

What was the cause of this young athlete to crash his car at that time of the night?

I wonder if there was drug abuse or alcohol in place or perhaps medication, steriods?

Under normal circumstances no person will crash his car like that and than go and knock on doors but usually call family, friends or 911.

This all should be taken in consideration before making any judgment since things may be different than it seems.

I'm not defending the cop but also not making any judgment on the cop until more comes out since from both sides it sounds kind of strange and suspicious.

I think it was smart of the woman not to open her door in the middle of the night. In Florida we have heard of people tied up when people act like this and knock on their doors, or open the faucet on the side of their house and knock on the door to tell about water issues and then get robbed...better save then sorry and which young person doesn't have a phone nowadays?

Of course the young person could have left his phone by accident...happened to me 1 time for 10 min. and I felt horrible in case something happens, but this is a midnight one sided crash and then running up to the police like a crazy person....normally you would expect people to listen to police orders unless he was in shock or unde the influence of something.

In the end a tragedy for both sides!
The officer fired 12 shots ... 10 bullets hit Ferrell.

The lady did open her front door and it must have been pure chaos. Her alarm system went off, her dog was barking and Ferrell was trying to get in the house. The 911 call at 2:46 AM is an attachment with this article from today's newspaper.

Mecklenburg DA asks N.C. Attorney General to prosecute accused officer case | CharlotteObserver.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime