Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 11:05 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
In our experience in our family with normal deaths it took from 2-4 weeks before the death certificates were sent to us.
If a death is under suspicious circumstances the certificate delay can be a long time until signed off by the medical examiner and recorded.
It depends on the State. In Indiana, we had my parents Death Certificate before they were buried. The funeral home gave us several because everyone needs a copy to shut down bank accounts, process life insurance policies, etc. Plus, I the State won't allow a burial unless a Death Certificate exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 11:08 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Very little press, except for the locals, will show up, he wasn't that famous. The family situation is complicated, there's an ex-wife and their kids and the multitudinous relatives on that side who live here. Then there's the new wife. To say that the divorce was strained would be a vast understatement.
I think he was more famous than you think. The Hunt for Red October, The Sum of All Fears, Patriot Games, Clear & Present Danger, yeh.

Old 10-05-2013, 11:09 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Here's a question to ponder re: Clancy's many books (the ones he wrote and the ones his publisher put his name on that he didn't write). Were they just accidentally perennial favorites of people who look for conspiracies around every corner or are there so many people who look for conspiracies around every corner because so many people read Clancy's books (as well as Dan Brown, Steve Berry, Scott Mariani, John Grisham, Jeffrey Archer, Vince Flynn, et al.?

Old 10-05-2013, 11:11 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,676,642 times
Is it really any business of ours what he died from?
The family can request that such details are not released to the public, and unless it is a matter of public health or criminal investigation, there is no reason to override such a request.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:15 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,453,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMac View Post
Is it really any business of ours what he died from?
The family can request that such details are not released to the public, and unless it is a matter of public health or criminal investigation, there is no reason to override such a request.
AMEN!!! Everyone deserves respect and privacy if they so desire, and we have no idea what his wishes were nor his direction to his family on what he did and did not want shared as public knowledge.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:39 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
So, you say he wasn't that famous? LMAO. Next, someone will ask if he was overrated, so, let me say now, NO, he wasn't overrated.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:45 AM

3,633 posts, read 6,173,149 times
I read obits often that don't mention the cause of death. Some people have made it clear to the family that they don't wish it to be publicized. Why is it so important to strangers to know the circumstances, anyway? Seems people are trying to make a conspiracy theory out of this - probably because they read too many of his books.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:21 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
So, you say he wasn't that famous? LMAO. Next, someone will ask if he was overrated, so, let me say now, NO, he wasn't overrated.
Not enough so that there will have to be extra security to keep away the paparazzi.

The local obituaries from where he lived:

Noted Local Author Tom Clancy Dies at 66 | Southern Maryland News Net

Noted author, Calvert resident Clancy dies - Southern Maryland News

One newspaper didn't even have it in.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:04 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,811 times
I don't think Putin is going to appreciate you stirring up trouble on a sensitive situation.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:04 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Thank you all for your replies.

When I started my career (long time ago, lol) one of my first duties was writing obits. Ordinarily, here in NC, the death certificate was issued within hours of a person's death and usually to the funeral home director.

Many counties across the USA allow access to their databases for death certificates. I use these frequently for genealogy research. Typically, the death certificate is issued at the location where the deceased died. That would be Baltimore, I assume, as the obits I read said he died at Johns Hopkins. Maryland does not provide a copy of a death certificate to anyone - a person has to have a legitimate interest in the estate, be an heir, a spouse, a funeral home director, etc. I could not find if there is a release date, such as xx years, after which "anyone" could request a copy of a person's death certificate. In addition, their information referred to a "certified" copy and it may be that a non-certified copy falls under different rules/regs. I honestly don't know - I am just speculating about that.

In any event, when someone dies at age 66, which in this day and age is considered "young" . . . I am going to wonder what the cause of death was. In the case of a public figure, I am sure many folks are wondering. Clancy had such an interesting career, publishing at what is considered a bit late to have accumulated the wealth that went along with a non-professional writer becoming published and penning bestsellers. It just rarely happens that way. So to many of us, his career and success were -- if not singular -- definitely not common.

As far as the family "keeping the cause of death quiet," that is not really possible, b/c death certificates are public information.

I do understand that Clancy had a complicated familial situation, but death certificates have nothing to do with funeral and burial arrangements. Funeral arrangements are the sole purview of the surviving spouse or through provisions in a will (or arrangements made ahead of time with a funeral director/funeral home, as some folks do pre-plan their funerals).

I have noticed some "conspiracy theories" while researching to find it a death certificate had been issued late this week, but that seems like folks just trying to create a story to write about, imho.

The only question I had was -- were there complications, such as cause of death being undetermined (due to a rare illness, complications due to other factors, i.e. accidental death, homicide, suicide).

My initial thought, when I had heard he had died, was that he had a cardiac episode of some sort. One source relayed he had been in the hospital after a "short illness," which also made me wonder about such things as brain cancer or pancreatic cancer, as those two diseases can possibly go undetected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime