Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 03:41 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times

Advertisements

For some reason I have gotten the impression that he had a heart attack. A brief search also indicated that he died at Johns Hopkins Hospital which is known for top notch cancer and cardiac care.

His latest book is due to come out in December so he must have been working until quite recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 02:10 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Obituary update:
Clancy died last Tuesday. The County newspaper prints on Wednesday and Friday. There has yet to be an obituary, including today, printed. Keep in mind that he was a local celebrity and still claimed Calvert County as his residence.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:35 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Tom Clancy died this week, but no cause of death was given. I have continued to search daily and the latest info I could find stated he died at Johns Hopkins -- but no death certificate had been issued.

I find this unusual, or at least - not typical.

Why would there be no death cert issued/filed?

I know regs vary from state-to-state in re: to such matters, but in all states, a death certificate is public information.

If there are questions, i.e. "suspicious death," . . . then of course - there is an autopsy. I suppose lab reports, such as toxicology and pathology reports, could be holding things up.

However, in the case of a suspicious death, I would think the DA makes a decision at that time to pursue a course of action and this would be public info, too. For example, if there were suspicion that someone was murdered in the hospital by an employee . . . there would be an investigation opened. Or if there was no immediate cause of death but homicide were suspected, then an investigation would be opened.

Am I way off here? Does this seem at least atypical that someone would die and nothing be mentioned about cause of death and in addition, nothing mentioned if this were a "suspicious" death or a suicide?
Death certificates are definitely NOT public information!?

MOST obituaries don't mention a person's cause of death either.

-- Posted with TapaTalk now Free

Old 10-09-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Death certificates are definitely NOT public information!?

MOST obituaries don't mention a person's cause of death either.

That depends, since obits are usually semi-composed by the family with the funeral home they will sometimes be included. The newspaper I referenced earlier had about 1/2 the causes of death mentioned in the write-up.

When my father-in-law died the family wanted to make sure people knew it was related to lung cancer.

My father died of accidental CO poisoning and it was mentioned. He was also somewhat well-known in the area. That might have played a part.

My mother's on the other hand didn't. She basically died from having too many birthdays.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:56 PM

I'm a funeral director and we NEVER say the cause of death in any obituary.

I suppose IF the family insisted, we would have to comply with their wishes. But usually if you say that people can make donations to the cancer society, people get the idea.

I know a newspaper who used to insist on printing the cause of death and were sued (and lost in court).

Old 10-09-2013, 02:58 PM

It may vary by state.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It may vary by state.
What might vary by State?

Old 10-09-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
It may vary by state.
HIPPA Privacy Rule is a Federal rule.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
HIPPA Privacy Rule is a Federal rule.

Most recent conversation at funeral home:

"Do you want to mention cause of death?"
"I don't care."

This was in 2010.

Take a look at the obituaries in the two on-line papers I linked. One is sponsored by a funeral home. Some list the cause of death.

Taking it back to Clancy, who cares?

Old 10-09-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Most recent conversation at funeral home:

"Do you want to mention cause of death?"
"I don't care."

This was in 2010.

Take a look at the obituaries in the two on-line papers I linked. One is sponsored by a funeral home. Some list the cause of death.

Taking it back to Clancy, who cares?
Yes....you may give permission to release it, but a funeral director can't do that without permission.

Ever wonder why you can't call a hospital and ask what someone died from?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime