Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2014, 07:45 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,438,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wudge View Post
At the very least in criminal trials, I have long advocated the need to have either professional jurors or the need to have potential jurors pass an applied logic test (a minimum of 80% of the questions answered correctly) before they could be admitted to a pool of candidates that, in turn, could result in their undergoing voir dire that, in turn, might result in their being chosen to be a juror in a trial.

Few people understand the horrendous number of wrongful convictions that American juries produce. In capital murder trials alone, 10% (rounded) of the defendants that are convicted and placed on death row are eventually proven to have been wrongfully convicted.

Given this horrendous figure, a reasonable person may properly think that the wrongful conviction rate in criminal trials other than capital murder almost assuredly would be even higher.
Boy that would sure eliminate a ton of people and rightfully so!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:01 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,507,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I find it just sad how incredible some of the posters have no ability to use common sense or logic. It is a sad day for the US when we see so many people without the ability to use reason, logic or common sense.
Well, we humans so often like to think that phenomenon like the herd mentality that caused witch trials and burnings, the Inquisition and lynch mob hangings are all something relegated to the past. If only. What makes this particular case so sad now is that these two young people are NEVER going to be free of this frontier justice treatment for the rest of their lives. Now that I think about it, this is like having a fatwah put onto their lives by the Taliban.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:12 PM

684 posts, read 867,478 times
Quote:
Boy that would sure eliminate a ton of people and rightfully so!
Thirty years ago, thousands of multiple-choice, applied logic tests were taken by people who had at least graduated from high school. The average score was around 40%.

When you have a situation where for every 10 death row prisoners who are executed, 1 death row prisoner is exonerated and set free, then you assuredly know the error rate (wrongful convictions) is absurdly high.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:30 PM

117 posts, read 110,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Wasn't that a kitchen knife she used on a regular basis? I think it was.
Maybe but the main issue is the victim's DNA on the blade. Knox's DNA on the handle just narrows her down as the one who delivered the fatal blow.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
It only makes no sense to someone untrained or uneducated in the sciences of DNA technology.

Contamination makes perfect sense to me. Keep in mind there was no blood found on that knife. No blood = No DNA No claim was made that the knife was contaminated...the claim that there was no trace of blood or the victims DNA was the actual claim.

Pay more attention...no need for us to hold your hand when it comes to looking at the data. You just seem to make it up as you go along

And I quote...from this link BBC News - Kercher trial: How does DNA contamination occur?

"But there was no evidence of blood or any other body fluids found, the Boise State researcher points out.

"You can't really wash the blood off and leave the DNA in any practical sense. That means that the few cells or molecules might have been from the laboratory after they amplified Miss Kercher's DNA," he explains.

By amplification, Dr Hampikian is referring to the common process by which millions of copies are made from isolated DNA strands, using a method called "polymerase chain reaction", or PCR.

This concern was not his alone. There have been claims that the initial evidence was handled using dirty gloves and that investigators entered the crime scene without protective clothing."

"From the initial collection of items at the scene of the murder, significant traces of just two people's DNA were found - that of the victim and one other person, Rudy Guede. His bloody fingerprint was discovered on the wall of Ms Kercher's bedroom."

Poor collection at a crime scene is how you contaminate objects with other peoples DNA. Get it now.
Body tissue has DNA too so the DNA on the knife didn't have to be from blood. For that DNA to have been stuck in the scratch on the knife it makes sense it was body tissue that was pressed in there when she stabbed Kercher.

I don't think you are qualified to determine if Hampikian knows what he is talking about and he isn't even over in Italy with access to the evidence. His opinion doesn't matter if he hasn't been called to testify. Sounds to me like he just wants some attention.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:48 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,031,389 times
I hate to see anyone suffer for a crime they did not commit, but I'm also not 100% ready to join "Team Knox" just yet. We may never really know the truth

Old 02-03-2014, 08:59 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggshall View Post
Body tissue has DNA too so the DNA on the knife didn't have to be from blood. For that DNA to have been stuck in the scratch on the knife it makes sense it was body tissue that was pressed in there when she stabbed Kercher.

I don't think you are qualified to determine if Hampikian knows what he is talking about and he isn't even over in Italy with access to the evidence. His opinion doesn't matter if he hasn't been called to testify. Sounds to me like he just wants some attention.
No DUH that body tissue has DNA...guess what so does saliva

Read once again. There were no traces of DNA on the tip of that knife nor the blade.

You are not qualified to continue to post about this crime. You can't even dissect what you read.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:04 PM

You said "no blood = no DNA" My response was directly in response to that.

I believe Hampikian confirmed the DNA profile on the blade matched Kercher's DNA profile. He is just saying it was from contamination in the lab which isn't a legit theory as it was tested 6 days after the bra clasp and other Kercher items with her DNA. 6 days of the lab going through cleaning protocols each day numerous times a day. And Kercher's DNA would have been found in other tests not related to the case if there was contamation, in these 6 days. C and V conceded that the 6 days means there could be no contamination in the lab.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggshall View Post
You said "no blood = no DNA" My response was directly in response to that.

I believe Hampikian confirmed the DNA profile on the blade matched Kercher's DNA profile. He is just saying it was from contamination in the lab which isn't a legit theory as it was tested 6 days after the bra clasp and other Kercher items with her DNA. 6 days of the lab going through cleaning protocols each day numerous times a day. And Kercher's DNA would have been found in other tests not related to the case if there was contamation, in these 6 days. C and V conceded that the 6 days means there could be no contamination in the lab.
Well there you have it you assumed just because I said no blood = no DNA. We are talking about the supposed knife that was used. Right? If indeed that knife was used then there would have been traces of blood on it. There were zero traces of blood on it. Amazing I have to hold your hand and spell out everything to you. Do you know why they took that particular knife out of his apartment? Do you know that there were plenty of sharp knives in the girls apartment. The actual knife has never been found.

I would keep my focus on the two expert DNA scientists and keep referring back to their discoveries....maybe that will help you to connect the dots.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:18 PM

684 posts, read 867,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Well, we humans so often like to think that phenomenon like the herd mentality that caused witch trials and burnings, the Inquisition and lynch mob hangings are all something relegated to the past. If only. What makes this particular case so sad now is that these two young people are NEVER going to be free of this frontier justice treatment for the rest of their lives. Now that I think about it, this is like having a fatwah put onto their lives by the Taliban.

Unfortunately, in this day and age where high-profile cases receive incredible media coverage, any poor and innocent souls who are targeted as a person of interest will never again be able to reclaim and enjoy their previous reputation; e.g., The Ramseys (John Benet), the Eisenbergs (Baby Sabrina), Michael Peterson (Kathleen Peterson -- staircase murder), Steven Hatfill (Justice department's anthrax case), Cynthia Summer (Todd Summer murder case), George Zimmerman (Trayvon Martin), Reade Seligman, Collin Finnerty and David Evans (Duke lacrosse rape case), Casey Anthony (Caylee Anthony) et al.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime