Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 10:26 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,779 times

Advertisements

I bet this will be interesting.
I remember when Dahmer’s crime happened.
For those who never heard of Jeffery Dahmer’s he killed and ate them and other things I cannot say on here.
A google search would tell you more if you want the whole story.
What a sad story and chain of events. Sounds like Dahmer never had a chance starting as young as a fetus

Jeffrey Dahmer's stepmother Shari opens up on her relationship with serial killer in new doc | Fox News

. Jeffrey Dahmer's stepmother Shari opens up on her relationship with serial killer in new doc

For the first time in more than 20 years, Shari Dahmer is hoping to shed some light on what may have caused her “nice, kind boy” to become one of America’s most infamous serial killers.

Jeffrey Dahmer, a former chocolate factory worker, was sentenced to 15 consecutive life terms in prison in 1992 after he confessed to killing and dismembering 17 boys and young men.
In 1994, the 34-year-old died when he was bludgeoned to death by a fellow inmate.

Moderator cut: copyright violation

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-10-2017 at 11:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 10:47 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Watching True Crime, I've noticed that most of them were neglected and/or abused as infants or young children.

We need to figure out how to educate people about proper care and parenting before they have kids.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Watching True Crime, I've noticed that most of them were neglected and/or abused as infants or young children.

We need to figure out how to educate people about proper care and parenting before they have kids.
I like your idea.
I really wish that could happen.

Old 11-10-2017, 11:24 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,943,174 times
Quote:

As a rule of thumb, the earlier the abuse or neglect happens, the more serious the damage to the child's ability to form and maintain normal relationships with other human beings and empathize with them. Often, the parents doing the abuse or neglect were themselves damaged as infants or children, have serious mental problems, or are addicts. Finding a solution to a systemic problem like this isn't going to be easy (if it's possible at all).

Old 11-10-2017, 11:37 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,492,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
As a rule of thumb, the earlier the abuse or neglect happens, the more serious the damage to the child's ability to form and maintain normal relationships with other human beings and empathize with them. Often, the parents doing the abuse or neglect were themselves damaged as infants or children, have serious mental problems, or are addicts. Finding a solution to a systemic problem like this isn't going to be easy (if it's possible at all).
Probably off topic. But I think a good first step is to get the phrase "children are more resilient than we think" out of our lexicon. I'm appalled at the things I've seen a few parents do or say then brush it off with oh he's fine. Kids get over it.

It would be really nice if the basics of child rearing and early childhood psychology could be a required topic in all high school health classes. If these kids who were raised neglected or abused could get enough education on the subject to be aware that there's another way, we might start to see a turn.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Probably off topic. But I think a good first step is to get the phrase "children are more resilient than we think" out of our lexicon. I'm appalled at the things I've seen a few parents do or say then brush it off with oh he's fine. Kids get over it.

It would be really nice if the basics of child rearing and early childhood psychology could be a required topic in all high school health classes. If these kids who were raised neglected or abused could get enough education on the subject to be aware that there's another way, we might start to see a turn.
It would be a great course to have in school.

Also, parents who use alcohol drugs, certain meds that they are not suppose to take during pregnancy, get a prison term along with therapy.

I have seen Children with Fetal Alchohol Syndrome that the mother never had any illegal consequences.

Last edited by Atalanta; 11-10-2017 at 12:20 PM..

Old 11-10-2017, 02:55 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Lilylilylily,I applaud your suggestions! Wish folks would stop the 'resilency' mantra. It doesn't aide the child to be told, buckle up,stuff it,or (my cringe worthy one) $uck it up! It's dysfunctional to deny.

As for Jeff Dehmer,I oddly felt compassion for his early life. I did not have that same feeling involving his demented antics and kill modes. That side of a person is too fractured to try to put together. I recall how folks cheered at his death...Even prison guards cheered. And a part of me felt sorrow for the kid he was...And how in the end..He didn't have a prayer in the world to be anything more then a psycho.
As a mom...Our kids are more then just a label slapped on by society...

Old 11-10-2017, 07:18 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
He got off easy. He should have been hung or electrocuted. Regardless of how he got that way he chose to do what he did. He had no conscience or empathy. His victims were no more than bugs to him. Apparently he provoked the wrong man in prison. Inmate justice was the only real justice he ever received.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:29 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
An older (now closed) thread here about him: https://www.city-data.com/forum/true-...een-saved.html

Old 11-10-2017, 08:20 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
The Dahmers had another child, and the mother's neuroses don't seem to have negatively affected him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime