Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 01:45 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,217 times

Advertisements

I am completely enraged by how backwards and obviously corrupt the Wisconsin 'justice' system is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 05:15 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
That documentary left out significant pieces of information and largely focused on the defense narrative. Nothing the defense speculated about has been corroborated with evidence in the past 8 years.

Here is just a taste of stuff left out:

There was a bullet fired from Avery's gun that was found in Avery's garage, that bullet has Halbach's DNA on it.

There were several of Halbach's personal affects burned in the fire pit.

The bone fragments were intertwined with metal tire treads.

The SUV was found locked.

Avery's DNA was found on the hood latch.

(Less important but signficant)

The cat incident was not fully explained. He poured gasoline on the cat and set it on fire.

While in jail for his incorrect rape conviction, he bragged to a cell mate how he was going to rape and torture women.

Just like many other sensational documentaries, this series only purpose was to tell a compelling but unsubstantiated defense narrative of what happened. I have that disgusting feeling, just like paradise lost, that many people will now start to only cite the documentary as evidence in this case and lead to many people defending convicted murderers and pretty soon, that documentary will be the facts the media will report on.

I'm pretty sure all of that except the inmate statements about a torture chamber drawing was in the film. Although they did make the cat thing seem like an accident.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:12 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
I don't remember anything about the hood latch or about Avery having bought hand cuffs and leg irons 3 weeks before. Also never heard testimony that Avery had *67 (call blocked) Teresa twice that day(he called her 3 times)...

Old 01-05-2016, 08:47 AM

377 posts, read 670,301 times
By the end of this series I can say that I am much less concerned with actual innocence or guilt (for the first time ever!) but rather with how messed up our legal system is!! This case was an absolute travesty of justice! Spanning decades yet! It makes me so mad.
I have also read about this case and realize that parts of this documentary were sensationalized and key details left out. Even so, this case highlights how our system is not only corrupt but so biased against the poor and limited. It was really, really eye opening and well done.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:38 AM

3,920 posts, read 6,833,898 times
I just finished the series last night. I have also read a lot of online posts about this subject. I would label myself as a crime enthusiast and there is absolutely no way I could say Avery was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt! He and Brendan were at a disadvantage heading into the trial due to the publicity surrounding the case from the get go.

Even if Avery is guilty (I hope he was!), he still shouldn't be sitting it jail since there was holes in the prosecutions story and timeline. They also didn't provide a thorough investigation to eliminate other suspects. It's my opinion that they should have investigated Scott and Bobby since their timelines contradicted the bus driver. They also are each others alibi's via a "drive-by" wave from car to car. That sounds fishy to me, even in small towns like this.

Old 01-05-2016, 10:52 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,093 times
What really bothers me the most about this situation is the way two innocent people are being rail-roaded. In SA's case, it's not once but almost certainly twice.

And, it's appalling that BD's life is destroyed by this before he even had a chance to live, and he didn't even do anything wrong. I'm appalled that the jury believed his testimony during the initial interviews, when it was extremely obvious his "confession" was coerced by the investigators - any intelligent person could have been able to tell this from the taped interviews, especially given that the kid was learning disabled.

And, more importantly than this coerced testimony is the fact that there was 0 DNA evidence of BD's anywhere where the "alleged" crime took place re: his coerced confession. Just because someone says they did something - especially if it's a coerced confession, that doesn't mean they did this...especially in a case like this. Truly disgusting.

Old 01-05-2016, 11:03 AM

2,770 posts, read 2,603,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
Truly disgusting.
I know, it blows my mind that someones fate can be in the hands of twelve idiots, which obviously these jurors were.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:12 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,734,733 times
It also appeared that the brother and ex-boyfriend were given free reign to help search without giving an alibi for 10/31. To me, the brother seemed awfully convinced she was dead before they even found the car as he was already discussing grieving. I would have also find that suspicious and then add in that the brother/ex-boyfriend deleted voicemails/messages from her phone.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:01 PM

927 posts, read 969,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Avocado View Post
By the end of this series I can say that I am much less concerned with actual innocence or guilt (for the first time ever!) but rather with how messed up our legal system is!! This case was an absolute travesty of justice! Spanning decades yet! It makes me so mad.
I have also read about this case and realize that parts of this documentary were sensationalized and key details left out. Even so, this case highlights how our system is not only corrupt but so biased against the poor and limited. It was really, really eye opening and well done.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:51 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I agree I thought Steven got a fair trial...Brendan however,I feel did not. That kid was hung out to dry by his own lawyer...I feel he had some level of involvement...but because of his low intelligence I'm unsure of how much...the whole case needs to be retried and Brendan needs competent representation...
How do you explain Sgt Colburn calling in the Green Toyota Rav4 license plate two days before it was actually found?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime