Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 10:57 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,417,865 times

Advertisements

DeOrr went missing last summer while camping and still hasn't been found.

Previous thread in Idaho forum.
//www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...r-kunz-jr.html

New article.
Investigation continues into DeOrr Kunz Jr.’s disappearance

From the very beginning I thought the parents had something to do with this, just because of their news conference. They didn't act normal. But I don't know them, maybe that is normal for them.

Very strange case. If animals had gotten DeOrr, there would have been some sign left. Blood, a shoe, etc. So I'm fairly certain a human was involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 01:05 PM

17,388 posts, read 14,925,309 times
It's not uncommon for kids to be lost for long periods of time in situations like this.

They get into areas that don't get searched.

I seem to recall some case about a 9 year old that the parents swore up and down, left and right that he was the boy in a "Bondage" picture and said that he was abducted by sex traffickers. They found his remains after 20 years or so within a mile of the campsite he disappeared from.

It wasn't the Jacob Wetterling case.. But the parents acted similarly.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:20 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,045,212 times
I'm just as puzzled by his disappearance. What happened to this kid?
I too thought that maybe the parents had something to do w/ this.

They've been searching for such a long time for him. And no clues what so ever...

I find this case very strange. It doesn't seem like they were camping in a well populated area
w/ lots of folks around. idk.
Did someone just wonder over n take him????

Old 01-13-2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
I'm just as puzzled by his disappearance. What happened to this kid?
I too thought that maybe the parents had something to do w/ this.

They've been searching for such a long time for him. And no clues what so ever...

I find this case very strange. It doesn't seem like they were camping in a well populated area
w/ lots of folks around. idk.
Did someone just wonder over n take him????
I'm not familiar with the area he disappeared from, but the news reports say they were camping in a box canyon so there's a very small area to even search. I'm not sure why they think he couldn't have wandered out of the box.

I see now one of the family friends who was with them has lawyered up and refuses to speak to police. Might seem suspicious, but I might do the same if they seemed intent on pinning something on me. It does happen that police zero in and make up things to fit their theory.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:22 PM

DeOrr Kunz Jr. timeline

July 9: DeOrr, his father, mother, great-grandfather and a family friend decide to take a trip to the Timber Creek Campground near Leadore. They arrive at the campground in the evening.

July 10: The family takes a mid-morning trip into Leadore to pick up supplies. A driver of a black Jeep Wrangler Rubicon looks at the boy while in Leadore and makes DeOrr’s mother, Jessica Mitchell, uncomfortable. At some point in the afternoon DeOrr Kunz Sr. and Mitchell go for a hike, leaving the then 2 1/2-year-old in the care of his great-grandfather, Robert Walton. Walton later tells investigators he thought the child went over the bank to meet with his parents. About 15 minutes later the parents make their way to a part of a creek where friend Isaac Reinwand was fishing for minnows. The parents go to grab DeOrr and show him the minnows, but cannot find him. Due to miscommunication Walton thought the child was with his parents. A search for the child begins and lasts about 45 minutes. Mitchell calls 911 at 2:28 p.m. Search crews arrive soon after the 911 call and begin looking for the boy

July 11: Searchers on foot, ATVs and horseback scour the campground and surrounding area. The creek near the campground is vigorously searched, as well as Stone Reservoir.

July 12: Hundreds of volunteers arrive to help with the search. Volunteer efforts are suspended due to the overwhelming number of people and lack of coordination, Lemhi County Sheriff Lynn Bowerman has said. Search efforts continue for many days with the Bonneville County Sheriff’s Office dive team looking through Stone Reservoir near the campground. Use of drones, dogs and planes expand the search into the surrounding woods. A set of cadaver dogs show interest in the reservoir but it was determined an unrelated woman’s cremains were dumped there. In mid-July search efforts are scaled back.

July 22: Social media posts about tips and information swirl around the case as investigators try to pin down clues.

July 30: The FBI begins assisting investigators.

July 31: DeOrr is entered into the National Missing and Unidentified Persons database.

Aug. 3: Several news media outlets pick up reports of a found toddler in Minnesota and assume it is DeOrr. The reports are determined to be false. Frank Vilt, a former U.S. marshal and private investigator, begins working with the family and sets up a tip hotline, which is later shut down.

Aug. 11: Vilt details some of his investigations into the child’s disappearance to news media and suggests abduction could be the cause. Law enforcement officials early on ruled out abduction in the case.

September: Several GoFundMe pages are set up to raise money to support the family of the missing boy and aid search efforts. A couple of Facebook pages are created in an effort to find DeOrr. Comments and tips flood in from across the U.S., Canada and as far away as the United Kingdom. Fliers and posters are distributed.

Sept. 11: Vilt offers a $10,000 reward for any information leading to the discovery of DeOrr’s whereabouts.

Sept. 13: A tip about a lost child who looks similar to DeOrr goes viral across the Internet. The child was reunited with his mother in Stanton, Calif.

Sept. 14: Vilt has the family re-enact the day DeOrr vanished.

October: The family parts ways with Vilt. Vilt said it was a disagreement over posting a large reward for finding the child. The family seeks help from a private investigation firm in Texas. The firm at first declines to take the case but reconsiders in late November. The FBI is unable to come to any conclusions from evidence, which included polygraph tests of everyone at the campsite, provided to them.

Oct. 14: A woman unrelated to DeOrr begins an effort to establish dozens of billboards across the state.

Oct. 23: Friends and family join searchers over the weekend for one last look near the campground, prior to winter weather arriving.

November: Klein Investigations and Consulting of Nederland, Texas, agrees to take on the case. Philip Klein, lead investigator, said payment for the man-hours spent investigating is coming out of a fund set up by his company for circumstances such as this where the family would not be able to afford the cost.

December: Klein requests that Facebook accounts about DeOrr be shut down so the investigation won’t be hindered. At least eight Facebook pages, several geared toward speculation on the case, remain open.

Dec. 30: Family members hold a candlelight vigil for DeOrr on his third birthday.

Jan. 16: A Dutch oven potluck and raffle auction is set, with proceeds going to Klein Investigations.

Old 01-15-2016, 12:06 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,045,212 times
Thank you for that timeline. ^^^^

I remember reading on Websleuths that they had been questioning the grandpa, and then his friend, since they were
thought to be watching them.
And the guy in the black truck from the store.

I didn't know grandpas' friend had lawyered up.

Old 01-20-2016, 07:56 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,205,930 times
They do not believe the Black Jeep is a factor; in fact they say it was a farce. Nor do they believe the kid is alive and being held.

Timber creed is very remote, it is at a lake and the as for a box canyon, I guess you could say it is, but you can easily hike up the canyon. Sure not like the box canyons I used to camp in in UT or CO.

I guess Isaac Reinwand who won't talk and has retained an attorney would be a big flag. But only time will tell.

That area of ID is very remote and there are a lot of lions, coyotes in that area, and even though they have ruled out animals, I still wonder.

Investigator believes DeOrr Kunz Jr. is dead | Post Register

Old 01-20-2016, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the newest link, f5fstop.

I wonder if the investigator meant "farce" as in something ridiculous like a deliberate red herring? Or if he just meant that the jeep really was around but it's been absolutely proven it has no connection?

If he meant deliberate red herring, the mother is one who reported seeing it and the man driving.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:29 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,001,470 times
Sheriff names parents of missing child as suspects | Idaho | idahopress.com

Old 01-25-2016, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the link Deb. This story goes even farther, saying that the police say the parents' stories have changed several times.

Poor kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime