Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 01:31 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,470,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I don't and can't relate to Charles Manson but it's obvious to me the man was seriously damaged at an early age. Did you know that his mother, a prostitute, once traded him for a pitcher of beer?

The demonization that he has undergone seems driven by rage at a generation of offspring who refused to conform and seemed to take a perverse pleasure in the anger that provoked. I have trouble with the apparent message of the court that if someone tells you to "go jump in the lake" and you do it that they are somehow more powerful and responsible for your actions than you are.

To me Mr. Manson is a sick little man - clever and devious, yes, but not the nearly superhuman monster so much of popular culture has made him out to be. But my consideration of these things may be wasted on him. He seems to think well enough of himself, shows little sign of self-pity and seems sufficiently settled into a life in prison so perhaps it's an appropriate enough place for him.

Some people we don't have a solution for in this society.
Manson was always a liar and his mother wasn't a prostitute. He was born illegitimate but spent sometime with family members when he was young. They said he was always a difficult and troublesome child. A manipulator from a young age.

I read a book recently about his life story called Manson: The Life and Times of Charles Manson by Jeff Guinn. He interviewed members of Charles Manson's family such as his sister and cousin. His mother was a bit wild but straightened herself out when older. She wasn't a prostitute. Guinn also interviewed childhood friends and his cellmates. It is a very interesting book. A lot of what Manson said about his early years is a fabrication.

https://www.amazon.com/Manson-Life-T.../dp/1451645171

Old 12-29-2016, 02:24 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...-great-britain I always felt for this woman, but she still took a life...remnds me of Frankie and Johnny.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:02 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
I sympathize with individuals suffering from paranoid schizophrenia who murder while in a psychotic state. Years ago I worked with that population and fondly remember a young man with a heart of gold. He would do anything to help others when his medications were at a therapeutic level and he was functioning. He was very close to his father, spent weekends with him every chance he got but one weekend went terribly wrong. He had become confused about his medications, missed several doses and was floridly psychotic when he went to his dad's house. He murdered his dad while in a very delusional state and went to prison for life. This was a guy who, was a gentle soul, until illness took over. Very sad.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:38 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I don't identify with Andrea Yates at all. It's especially appalling considering the fact that she was an educated nurse, she knew what could happen if she didn't take her medications. And she understood the seriousness of her mental health condition. Her husband wasn't able to quit his job and take care of her all day long. He also probably wasn't totally aware of the long term consequences of marrying a woman with her type of mental health issues. I think he was unfairly blamed for everything that happened. I am glad that he has moved on with his life.

Andrea Yates is NOT on my sympathy list either. What she did was ghastly and methodical.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:56 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,804 times
I felt sorry for Jean Harris. Dr Tarnower gave her so many prescription pills I think it made her crazy.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:58 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
To a small degree Betty Broderick...I really think one victim (her husband Dan) knowingly fanned the flame of Betty's insanity...just for pure sport of humiliating her...

Old 12-29-2016, 06:05 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Andrea Yates is NOT on my sympathy list either. What she did was ghastly and methodical.
Oh god me either but her husband should have been held more responsible for continuing to impregnate a clearly mentally ill woman and leaving them alone in her care ...

Old 12-29-2016, 07:06 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,224,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
If there is such a murderer within the confines of your mind. I'm trying to think. Now I wouldn't have liked any of the people that were murdered by the Manson family but I wouldn't have sympathized with anyone that murdered them either. I would have to say that if I had a favorite murderer it would probably be a hitman because usually the people they hit are other gangsters and I wouldn't shed any tears to see other gangsters bumped off. After all they aren't like innocent people. Who are your favorites, if there are any?

This guy;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PUE8fYxjq8

Old 12-29-2016, 09:11 PM

927 posts, read 969,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I sympathize with individuals suffering from paranoid schizophrenia who murder while in a psychotic state. Years ago I worked with that population and fondly remember a young man with a heart of gold. He would do anything to help others when his medications were at a therapeutic level and he was functioning. He was very close to his father, spent weekends with him every chance he got but one weekend went terribly wrong. He had become confused about his medications, missed several doses and was floridly psychotic when he went to his dad's house. He murdered his dad while in a very delusional state and went to prison for life. This was a guy who, was a gentle soul, until illness took over. Very sad.
I can understand that. The man is sick not a criminal and too bad the nations mental health system is in shambles since then president Reagan destroyed nearly all of it. he belongs in something much different than a prison.

Old 12-29-2016, 09:25 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper
I've seen some cases where parents have killed child molesters that molested their kid. I can sympathize with that and might do it myself.
I think almost anyone would understand that type of a murder......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime