Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2016, 05:29 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

So he killed her because of his childhood rage toward her....but he still speaks fondly of her, and apparently tries to communicate with her. To me, it just doesn’t fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUaD...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2016, 05:49 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
He probably has mixed feelings. You can have a love-hate relationship. Of course he loved her because she was his baby sister but at the same time he had rage at her. Probably. Of course, no one really ever tells us enough.

But I can remember my very first thought when this came on the news--that there could be a sibling who was jealous. I didn't even know Burke existed but I kept hearing about this pretty beauty queen who strutted around on the stage in expensive costumes. Then I thought--what if there is a sibling who doesn't get that kind of attention? What if there is a sibling who's an ugly duckling?

We all know how painfully strong sibling rivalry can be. Deep down inside they love their sibling but the jealousy can take over. I think Burke truly does hope she's having fun in heaven. She was a fun loving girl and he loved her. But he was jealous of her too.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:01 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
^^ Our kids' baby books went up to age 14. I actually stuck things in there from their high school years, but would imagine that everyone keeps them differently.
Thanks for the info. It must differ by brand.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:02 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
So he killed her because of his childhood rage toward her....but he still speaks fondly of her, and apparently tries to communicate with her. To me, it just doesn’t fit.

You've never felt mixed emotions on a normal level?? Burke is admittedly "socially awkward" - I personally think his issues are significantly more serious than that. But factor this in as well.

I can think of many times that I have felt frustration, anger, aggravation, etc. towards someone whom I otherwise love - simultaneously with the negative emotions - both as a child and as an adult. This is quite normal, as is lashing out verbally, regrettably. It is also normal for siblings to scuffle with one another, and for physical fighting to occur.

I do not think Burke intended to cause his sister's death. I do think it is possible that he was very angry, frustrated, and out of patience with her, especially after a long, exhausting and hectic day.

In the heat of anger, after that jam-packed day, tired but still "wired" from the day's excitement, with little time to unwind and with an equally busy day ahead, Burke's self-control - whatever level it may have been back then - might well have been stretched beyond its normal limits. He may well have lashed out physically and hit JonBenet with either his baseball bat, the flashlight, or a golf club or other unsuspected makeshift weapon. But I think he just wanted to get rid of her pesky behavior, not kill her. I think he acted very spontaneously, in anger, without time to think it through - and a child does not think things through as does as adult, anyway.

He may be convinced that he did nothing to contribute to or cause JonBenet's death, and I am sure that as an adult, he is sincere about missing her and having fond memories of her and their shared childhood.

Assuming that one of both of the adult Ramseys discovered JonBenet soon after she was assaulted, if they thought - or knew - that Burke was responsible for what was probably an unintentionally severe injury, and if they thought JonBenet was dead, some of the cover-up is comprehensible. Hiding her, bundling her up in the blanket, possibly intentionally including her favorite nightie (or it could have been just static cling), and writing the unlikely ransom note all fit this theory.

It's the garrote that gives me pause. It was not applied accidentally, but was very deliberate and it's hard to comprehend Burke using it and even harder to think of Patsy or John Ramsey doing so.

But there was no intruder.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Did you watch the video interrogation of Patsy and John on handwriting in the album in JB111? May also be posted in this thread.

Calling it a baby books diversion. It doesn't change what it is, or the fact parents denied recognizing handwriting.
I did, it didn't look like a baby book to me or a nine year old's handwriting. Some posters are claiming it is.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:

It doesn't fit to me, either. If anything it seems like an abused child who had an abused sibling. I don't really believe any child enjoys pageants. If nothing else, those pageants were abusive.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:24 PM

I also wonder if Jonbenet was really the sweetie girl everyone has to claim as she is deceased. Five-six years old is really a whiney, bratty, egoistical stage. Maybe Burke remembers those sort of things and being slighted, as the older sibling has to take up for the younger sibling. He could never say, even if true, she was a brat or annoying sibling. I also feel they were both raised as above others due to money. The way Burke reportedly talked to that one lady who was a neighbor and photographer (I forgot her name but she was on the CBS special), is not a way a child who is taught to respect everyone would talk.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:35 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,014,321 times
Quote:

Have you considered the possibility that Burke is being disingenuous?

Old 10-16-2016, 07:07 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
In the heat of anger, after that jam-packed day, tired but still "wired" from the day's excitement, with little time to unwind and with an equally busy day ahead, Burke's self-control - whatever level it may have been back then - might well have been stretched beyond its normal limits. He may well have lashed out physically and hit JonBenet with either his baseball bat, the flashlight, or a golf club or other unsuspected makeshift weapon. But I think he just wanted to get rid of her pesky behavior, not kill her.
I'm looking for anything in his past that would move normal sibling rivalry to the level of picking up a baseball bat and--accidentally or not--cracking open his little sister's skull.

I can see a kid who has been abused attempting this....the Menendez brothers, for example. But not a tired or wired kid on Christmas night who might have lost his self control.

Quote:
It's the garrote that gives me pause. It was not applied accidentally, but was very deliberate and it's hard to comprehend Burke using it and even harder to think of Patsy or John Ramsey doing so.
I agree. So who does that leave?

Old 10-16-2016, 07:52 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
I'm looking for anything in his past that would move normal sibling rivalry to the level of picking up a baseball bat and--accidentally or not--cracking open his little sister's skull.

I can see a kid who has been abused attempting this....the Menendez brothers, for example. But not a tired or wired kid on Christmas night who might have lost his self control.

I agree. So who does that leave?
Stress. He was in fear of losing his mother to cancer. His life was in upheaval as a result with his mother probably gone a lot for treatment and we know his father was always working. They may have loved him but neither had the time to shower him with attention. Also, some kids are just born with their personalities--he could have been an angry child for no other reason than having been born that way.

His sister was cute, was doted on when Patsy was well enough to devote the time, won trophies, got attention on tv, rode in parades, and must have won praise from the extended family. How did that make Burke feel. Like a nobody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime