Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2016, 05:18 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,491,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
You know, there is no way either parent strangled their daughter. Facts are facts. Official cause of death is strangulation. That leaves Burke. Show me another case where a child under 10 fashioned a created, intentional instrument of death and killed his/her other sibling. Her hands were also tied, and there was duct tape on her mouth. If 9-year-old Burke did all of that with such stealth and precision so as not to leave a single trace of evidence, then he is superhuman and/or needs to be working for intelligence services. I don't see it.

A blow hard enough to fracture a skull and then strangling with an instrument of death is something a murderer does. I'm leaning toward intruder. A coverup would only make sense after the fact, but again, zero chance either parent strangled JBR to death. Wouldn't buy that for a minute.

What kind of intruder writes a three-page ransom note? Well, let's keep it simple: this one did.

The note is so ludicrous, but perhaps it's a mistake to not take it more literally. Many things in the letter could be added as hidden meanings, or masking as a way not to be too specific/identifiable, but their intent was clear.

- "We are a small foreign faction." That could mean as little as two intruders, although this could still be done by one person.
- This person views his/her heritage as important. "We respect your business but not the country that it serves" and "Use that good southern common sense of yours." I can see the latter as a dig from someone who feels superior to John's background, and it denotes a somewhat advanced understanding of sarcasm or innuendo, something a petty criminal isn't going to be bothered to do IMO. A random, petty criminal, the landscaper, or the cable guy really isn't going to take the time to care about feeling intellectually superior in a three-page ransom note.
- It's said they knew John's bonus amount, so not a random burglar, the landscaper, or the cable guy, lest they overheard a conversation about it at some point. But they make no mention of "bonus" or anything like that. Where does the theory that they knew his bonus amount come from? The amount could be unrelated. If it is the bonus amount, it could be someone who knew the business-workings of how the bonus would've been obtained: coworkers, clients, or rivals who would've been involved in the current projects surrounding the bonus amount.
- The writer has a somewhat advanced knowledge of English punctuation. "Earlier pick-up of your daughter." Correct usage of pick-up. Correct spelling of "countermeasures." Formal/proper indentation to start off the note. This is an educated person.
- What's really telling to me is that when a mistake was made, they used the downward correction symbol ^ (forget it's proper term). Who does that, particularly in a time-specific situation of a major crime? Initially you could say Patsy since she has a journalism background, but there's no way she choked her daughter to death. So someone who likes the English language or has to practice at it, such as a foreigner.
- "Deviation" and the use of "99% chance" and "100% chance" could be someone familiar with working with numbers, or software. "Deviation," perhaps an engineer or software developer?
- "You are not the only fat cat around so don't think that killing will be difficult." I can translate that as "I'm a hired gun, and I've done this before for other rich clients" or "You're not my only target." That would explain how someone can pull this off without leaving obvious evidence. They even wiped the batteries, and I don't think Patsy would've thought to do something like that. That really says professional job to me, or as the note says, "be warned that we are familiar with Law enforcement countermeasures and tactics." Maybe we should believe them.
- Nothing else was stolen, so not a random burglar.
- No one else was hurt. JonBenet was the target. Targeted hit.
- She wasn't raped as far as we know, so not a sexual deviant. No mention of pageant anything in the letter.
- Patsy's fingerprints would be on the bowl because she'd be the one to put away dishes. Doesn't mean she was present in the room.

I think something like this would explain why they don't think JBR was killed right away. Burke could've made the bowl of pineapple, JonBenet ate a piece and later they went to bed. The killer waited for everyone to be asleep. She could've been taken, alive when the intruder started writing the note and planning his escape, and something happened where the intruder/the intruders couldn't get her out so they either killed her, or she died unexpectedly, blowing up the plan. That would be why there was no phone call to pick up the money. A kidnapping gone wrong.

It could easily have been someone John had business with. Perhaps he had business meetings in his home, and that's why the person was familiar with the layout? Or they did surveillance for some time before doing this, as they allude that "we will scan you for electronic devices."
If your theory that the intruder was educated and a professional killer is accurate, then they would not have been flustered. They would have realized they can still get money because the Ramseys have no way of knowing JB is dead if they take the body with them.

And why would Burke get himself a big bowl of pineapple with milk and then not eat it? The bowl appears to be over half full, looking like maybe only a couple pieces were eaten judging by the level of the milk that was still in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 05:19 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
No news here. They had hours to kill until the Ramseys returned from the Whites. Of course they put everything back. They hadn't molested, tortured or strangled her yet.

And they had no intention of collecting any money. They were writing the letter for kicks.

But once they realized she was dead, they had to get out fast, so they ran out and left the RN. (Not such a good clean up job after all.)

Also, if I remember correctly, they never found the source of the rope or the tape in the home.

Where did that one piece of duct tape come from?

An intruder would have brought tape and rope with them as it fit in with their plans for JonBenet and they took it with them when they left.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:21 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advocate4 View Post
She may or may not have been dragged down stairs, but if the stairs to the basement were carpeted then bruises and abrasions from being dragged down them would likely be minimized. I have done a good deal of research and have not seen any statement by anyone in an authority position that she was NOT dragged at some point.
And I have never seen credible evidence that she was dragged (although there's a lot of Internet myth and speculation.)

And if you believe that she was dead and then dragged, how is it that she wet herself just outside the wine cellar door, where her urine was found?

Quote:
Some people think those neck marks are from her fingernails as she tried to loosen the cord around her neck, but there is no evidence to say that's what the marks are.
Scroll back. There is now.

Quote:
The autopsy report references the marks as "petechial hemorrhage" which is caused by obstruction of the airways such as occurs in strangulation....that's why there was hemorrhaging of the skin around the area where the cord was tightened. Being strangled before she was hit is also a possibility but not a certainty.
It is a certainty. But not what CBS wants you to believe because their suspects are the Ramseys going in, and they want you to believe that, so they will find whatever "evidence" they can to support that. (That they hit her, then applied the cord to stage it, etc) Hey, it increases viewership ratings.

Quote:
There was degraded male DNA found under fingernails, and also male DNA found in the underwear, but I find nothing stating the two samples of DNA were a match to each other. Can you cite a source saying they matched?
Scroll back on the 5-7 Ramsey threads that we've been posting on for the past 5 years. It's in there somewhere.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:24 PM

3,531 posts, read 3,732,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
If your theory that the intruder was educated and a professional killer is accurate, then they would not have been flustered.
Someone who takes the time to write all of that, use items already in the home, and wipe everything down is someone who isn't flustered.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Also, if I remember correctly, they never found the source of the rope or the tape in the home.
Right.

Quote:
Where did that one piece of duct tape come from? An intruder would have brought tape and rope with them as it fit in with their plans for JonBenet and they took it with them when they left.
They did take the roll of tape and the rest of the cord with them. They did leave other things, though, posted on these threads, listed in the Judge Carnes ruling.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:28 PM

68 posts, read 105,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
Someone who takes the time to write all of that, use items already in the home, and wipe everything down is someone who isn't flustered.

100% correct. They are not concerned of getting caught, because they already live in the house.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloominOnion View Post
When John realized that Arndt was going to search top bottom, he grabbed Fleet and went straight to the basement. He wanted to find her, he wanted to control the crime scene and make sure he got his dna all over everything. As far as the police not finding her first, that's just because they were inexperienced looking for signs of a break in.

I thought Arndt was the one who told John to search the house.

And, I think it is perfectly normal for John to pick up JonBenet and carry her upstairs.

He wasn't a professional, cop or paramedic, who would stop and check for a pulse first.

He grabbed her up and dashed upstairs for help, thinking she could still be alive.

How many parents have fished an obviously dead child out of a swimming pool and tried CPR.....only to find out the child had been long dead?

Old 09-22-2016, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I've read the fingernail dna from foreign source, but never that it matched her underwear. If there were a match Ramseys would've been exconerated well before 2008.
Boulder PD held the evidence; that's another reason that the DA's office was so upset with them. They could have started clearing suspects in early 1997 if it had been released. (BPD had the Ramseys as suspects from the beginning; they wanted the case closed.)

Quote:
The only reliable source for info is James Kolar.
I'm prevented from posting the link here--it says it's blocked due to spam--but jameson has a long thread on the errors in Kolar's book from way back; you can Google it.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I thought Arndt was the one who told John to search the house.
She did. She told him to look for anything that might have been missed or that may have been left behind.

And for those who wonder why JR went downstairs first, the second floor bedrooms had been searched thoroughly, he knew the master bedroom was checked, and LE, their neighbors and minister were on the first floor all morning.

I read somewhere that John Fernie went up to check the second floor, while Fleet White went downstairs with JR, but don't know if there's a transcript record that supports that.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
That would mean that in the 13 months after Jonbenet was murdered, Burke was never told how his sister was murdered.

Why wouldn't an 11 year old boy be given that basic information about his sister's murder? Why would he be left to wonder whether she was stabbed or hit in the head with a heavy object? It seems so much worse to leave him to imagine all the gruesome ways that she was murdered rather than to simply present him with the facts - unless his parents knew that he already knew the facts and that there was no reason to discuss it with him.

If Burke knew she was bashed over the head, why did he go with the stabbing motion at all?

Could a 10-11 year old be that cunning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime