Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 08:50 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

I was called nine years ago almost to this day. It was my week to chaperone my older son and his class in "Outdoor Education," and overnight field trip to a nearby state park. I wasn't missing it for the world, and in fact had to be there since he was classified as "ADHD." I have not been called since even though it was the court in which I wanted to sit, Southern District of New York.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:29 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchgirlsplay View Post
If so , what was it like , was it an enjoyable experience and how long did it last?
Yes.

Called three times, in WA. Never in CA.

Third time, they kept the pool (of jurors) a couple days. Day 2, I think, was called for a trial and selected to sit, after Defense and Prosecution attorneys questioned a pool of us...maybe 20-30.

Trial was a half day, we reconvened next AM at my and another juror's request to discuss it further before we voted.

Case was fascinating, I may write it up somewhere/sometime if I've not already done so. My then-employer was required by law to give me the time off, so I didn't care much on that. Was glad to do my civic duty, though it's an inconvenience of course. Fortunately, bus and Link transit stop (Pioneer Square) is literally adjacent to the courthouse, so I just took the bus those 2-3 days.

"Not Guilty," btw, and I think all of us (six jurors, one alternate) slept pretty well that night. I did; justice was served, based on the evidence provided.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:55 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
I am retired and was called as soon as I registered to vote in FL. Got picked for a jury and was happy to serve, as long as I could bring my lumbar pillow for my back. But it was an awful crime -- an older man accused of a sex crime against a little boy. The man didn't speak English and either did some of the witnesses and it was hard to follow the interpreter. Trial lasted a couple days, and I was shocked when some of my fellow jurors seemed more interested in blaming the mother for not watching the kid. In the end, we couldn't convict because the testimony of all the witnesses was all over the map, but I felt horrible that maybe we had let a pedophile off. I wrote a letter to the judge and DA explaining our decision, and THE JUDGE CALLED ME! He reassured me that it was a weak case to begin with and that he agreed with our verdict. I was so impressed. I just hope that man is being closely watched when the neighborhood kids are out.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:04 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,491 times
I have only been on a jury once. It was in Baltimore about 10 years ago. The trial was for a man who was shot 13 times (!!!!). The guy on trial was the one who shot him. Amazingly, the guy who was shot lived, but he was in hospital for almost a year, multiple surgeries, etc.

There were some witnesses for both sides. Both were known drug dealers.

I felt the shooter was guilty as sin. The evidence was there and his prior record was clear. However, a few of the other jurors felt he should be given a break. They said street justice would take care of the shooter, and they did not want the shooter to be able to figure out who voted against him and look for revenge. We took votes several times and it became clear they would never change their votes. Ultimately, the shooter got off scot free. It made me hope to never ever be on another jury. Justice was NOT served.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:46 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchgirlsplay View Post
If so , what was it like , was it an enjoyable experience and how long did it last?
I enjoyed it. It was very interesting listening to the arguments. I think I was supposed to be paid $15 dollars a day which I never received plus transportation reimbursements which I never received. My trial was 3 days plus one day of jury selection.

It had a happy ending too. Clearly the man was not guilty, had been very nervous during the trial and was a little slow. It was a pleasure to say not guilty.

Every other time I was rejected as a juror or just waiting in the pool of prospective jurors. Usually rejected as soon as I said I used to work for the IRS. I am not kidding about this.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:18 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post

I felt the shooter was guilty as sin. The evidence was there and his prior record was clear. However, a few of the other jurors felt he should be given a break. They said street justice would take care of the shooter, and they did not want the shooter to be able to figure out who voted against him and look for revenge. We took votes several times and it became clear they would never change their votes. Ultimately, the shooter got off scot free. It made me hope to never ever be on another jury. Justice was NOT served.

Did you go along with the rest of the jury and vote for acquittal, or did you stick to your guilty vote and force a hung jury?

Old 10-19-2016, 09:29 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I have only been on a jury once. It was in Baltimore about 10 years ago. The trial was for a man who was shot 13 times (!!!!). The guy on trial was the one who shot him. Amazingly, the guy who was shot lived, but he was in hospital for almost a year, multiple surgeries, etc.

There were some witnesses for both sides. Both were known drug dealers.

Pretty similar outcome and jury experience but for different reasons. I was on a federal jury for Colombian Drug Smugglers who were charged with conspiracy to to distribute cocaine. Three of them were caught with several suitcases full of cocaine. They were all very young - sub 20 yrs and the Federal Prosecutor was portraying them as the masterminds of some drug empire when it was obvious they were just drug mules. Why they did not just charge them with possession I could not see at the time but some young FBI agents testified and utterly failed in their attempts to make these three out to be kingpins. 11 Jurors voted to acquit with one stupid idiot who said they all just "looked" guilty ( I kid you not) and would not change his verdict. We were a hung jury and were dismissed.

I asked a court employee what would happen next and they said the Feds would convene another jury and try again, and again, and again until they got a guilty verdict or a straight acquittal. The idea was to use a 20 year Federal sentence to get the mules to testify against their bosses. Kind of made me upset both that the idiot juror would decide something based on how someone looks and that the Feds would waste all that time and effort on small fish.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:30 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Did you go along with the rest of the jury and vote for acquittal, or did you stick to your guilty vote and force a hung jury?
I tried that. I was the foreman. The judge refused to allow us to hang: "Go back in there and come out with a verdict."

That's why a trial that took one afternoon took four days of deliberation. Three of the people who voted for acquittal had nothing else to do with their days. When one woman simply took out her knitting, it was clear there was no hope.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:41 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
The only criminal case on which I actually served as a juror was plea bargained after 3 days....really interesting case.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:00 AM

23,537 posts, read 24,029,400 times
At least 10-12 times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime