Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 03:09 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,131,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clikrf8 View Post
My husband encountered Angelo Buono at work. Angelo was a security guard in the area where my husband worked and he told me he saw him there on a daily basis. We were shocked when he was arrested for murders in our town then the Hillside Strangler really scared us as we shopped at that grocery store where he abducted and killed the two women. Chills.
Do you mean his cousin and co killer Kenneth Bianchi??? He was a security guard

Old 11-27-2016, 12:31 PM

3,184 posts, read 2,445,291 times
Oops, sorry, it was Ken Bianchi. It was so long ago. Creepy, though. Thanks for the clarification.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:35 PM

1,504 posts, read 844,459 times
I have encountered a few legal criminals in my life...one was an international arms dealer - the other was an old investment banker...does that count?

Old 11-27-2016, 02:15 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,531,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
I have encountered a few legal criminals in my life...one was an international arms dealer - the other was an old investment banker...does that count?
There's plenty of those-----so-called "white-collar" criminals. They are found all over the world and have an existence that runs parallel to legal enterprises. Their total take probably is many times more than by those we ordinarily know as robbers or thieves.

When I was 14, a classmate seemed to be an ordinary, friendly guy and was a good student and athlete. But his family, including a couple of uncles, were running a huge scam in building large housing developments. They'd pulled it in Oklahoma and California, before they came to Oregon. They would buy up a big tract of land and pay cash for everything at first, to develop a good reputation. Then, they'd make arrangements for large loans and for buying materials on credit. They promised all their workers big bonuses, if they delayed receiving wages for a few months.

When they had sold all the houses, which numbered about 500, they siphoned-off all their assets to offshore accounts, declared bankruptcy and vanished. There were hundreds of individuals and businesses around town, left holding empty bags. I can't imagine that my school friend didn't know what his family was doing. I think they used different names in all those other locations. The houses are still there. The development is called, "Game Bird Village", as it was built on the site of an old facility where the Wildlife Dept. raised pheasants for stocking hunting areas. All the streets are named after birds. I doubt many of the current homeowners know anything about their origin. What makes me curious, is where these con-artists went next? I wonder if they ever became jailbirds? Today, the grapevine on the Internet would probably expose such a racket before it could be carried-out.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:57 AM

131 posts, read 159,775 times
Every day, I work in a Maximum security prison in California

Old 11-28-2016, 09:29 AM

277 posts, read 323,780 times
A friend of my step mothers ' met ' Mohamed Atta.

Might not recognize the name but he was one of the ring leaders of the September 11 attacks. She was either standing in front or behind him in line at the airport in Maine where they traveled to Boston. Of course, from Boston Atta and his associates took over a flight to NY and crashed it into one of the towers.

She said there was such a terrible vib from this man, a feeling of evil and she was scared just to be near him. She wanted to say something to the airport personnel but what possible response would there be to a reported feeling someone has about a passenger.

When he was identified after the attack and his picture was on the news she contacted the FBI. Was interviewed for a long time and has subsequently had feelings of guilt no matter how misplaced they might be.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:01 PM

1,110 posts, read 887,305 times
I worked in the same Marine Corps section in the Pentagon as this young man, and had several encounters with him:

Jorge Torrez, ex-Marine, sentenced to die in sailor Amanda Snell's slaying - CBS News

Although everyone in the office in hindsight said that he was up to no good, etc. He was a very quiet, unassuming person.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:31 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,207,036 times
I met the notorious con artist "Clark Rockefeller" in Boston many moons ago. This was at a bar in Back Bay in the afternoon. He started angling for an invitation to the private club where I was attending dinner later. He really zeroed in on the older blue-blood lady I was with (my dinner date -- not what you might think, however -- we play duplicate bridge together and occasional socializing when in town).

What was funny to me years later after his arrest, is how he lasered in on her. She does not exude Brahmin old money, but she is one of the wealthiest heiresses in Boston. He asked oblique "funnel" questions which I now realize were quite purposeful.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:05 PM

277 posts, read 323,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
I met the notorious con artist "Clark Rockefeller" in Boston many moons ago. This was at a bar in Back Bay in the afternoon. He started angling for an invitation to the private club where I was attending dinner later. He really zeroed in on the older blue-blood lady I was with (my dinner date -- not what you might think, however -- we play duplicate bridge together and occasional socializing when in town).

What was funny to me years later after his arrest, is how he lasered in on her. She does not exude Brahmin old money, but she is one of the wealthiest heiresses in Boston. He asked oblique "funnel" questions which I now realize were quite purposeful.
Oh, my word! I lived in the Back Bay during the time period " Rockefeller " was around Boston. When the story broke I wondered if I had ever met him at a fund raiser, dinner party or one of the many bars. Could not place the man's face at all.

One of the great posers ( and deadly ) Boston ( by way of California / Germany ).

You didnt have to meet him at Sonsie by chance? Good grief, the crowds and characters in that place!

Old 11-28-2016, 08:58 PM

131 posts, read 159,775 times
As in my post earlier I have met a few. Justin Helzer sometime before he killed himself. Juan Corona, Raymond Acala, Darryl Kemp, David Brown, Phil Spector and the infamous Charles Manson. There could be more, I know who they are I'm just not sure if they are known by most others.

Last edited by rnsleepy; 11-28-2016 at 09:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.