Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 10:45 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,774,092 times

Advertisements

I watched a show on the 'Forensic Science' show about true life killers. There was this guy who killed an innocent law student girl by sneaking into her apartment and killing and then dismembering her body and throwing into a dumpster. He was a real weirdo creepy kind of guy and he only got 25 years in prison for that. I thought at least life without parole but preferably death. Whats the deal with the lenient sentencing going on?

Old 02-16-2017, 11:04 AM

953 posts, read 843,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I watched a show on the 'Forensic Science' show about true life killers. There was this guy who killed an innocent law student girl by sneaking into her apartment and killing and then dismembering her body and throwing into a dumpster. He was a real weirdo creepy kind of guy and he only got 25 years in prison for that. I thought at least life without parole but preferably death. Whats the deal with the lenient sentencing going on?
The unpredictability of sentencing is due to various factors ... mandated guidelines, defense attorney, jury, judge, psychiatric evaluation, etc. The most difficult thing to come to grips with is that there is a good chance the person will be out in less than 10 years and be actively searching for both the next victim and dumpster of his choosing.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:07 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,501,223 times
I saw that one too just a day or two ago. The sentence is appalling. I hope he gets some psychological help while he's in there because he's going to be dangerous when he gets out if he doesn't turn something around.

The only consolation is that he is only up for parole. The board could look at the facts and keep him in longer.

I hate even watching cases in the UK. They often only sentence violent offenders to 5 or 10 years. Very scary.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:29 AM

953 posts, read 843,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
... The sentence is appalling. I hope he gets some psychological help while he's in there because he's going to be dangerous when he gets out if he doesn't turn something around.
I agree with you on the sentence (and, yes, he should get help), but I do not believe any real inroads can ever be made with the mind of a twisted offender who dismembers another human being. When a person is far gone, that is how they remain.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:45 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,501,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura 524 View Post
I agree with you on the sentence (and, yes, he should get help), but I do not believe any real inroads can ever be made with the mind of a twisted offender who dismembers another human being. When a person is far gone, that is how they remain.
Ideally, he would have a psychologist he visits regularly in prison who also appears in front of the parole board and gives insight into whether he's likely to repeat offend. I'm not sure how often that happens, but I only hear occasional reports of that happening. There are some conditions which are treatable, and many that are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime