Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 07:35 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr11 View Post
The police turned a blind eye to the abuse because the church was so interwoven in the community. I would imagine that if word got out that you could report abuse, but the police won't bother doing anything, less and less people would be willing to go to the authorities.
In 1976, at a Boston Police station, two policemen discuss the arrest of Catholic priest Fr. John Geoghan for child molestation and the presence of a high ranking cleric talking to the mother of the children. The Assistant District Attorney then enters the precinct and tells the policemen not to let the press get wind of what has happened. The arrest is hushed up, and the priest is released.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotlight_(film)

Have seen it myself and have it on dvd as well.

I would bet a dollar to doughnuts that there are far more victims of this sort with the RCC (as well as other religious and public institutions) that have never come forward and many resting in their graves (RIP). I am aware of a few myself and unless you're a celebrity what's the point? Take the chance that one will not be the object of victim blaming.

If I 'know a few' I am sure many others 'know a few' but sadly, it is an ugly topic and few if any are anxious to discuss it, can't say I blame them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 11:09 PM

34,019 posts, read 17,045,886 times
Until we see RCC Bishops who shielded perps convicted under RICO, and I do think it will occur eventually, nothing game-changing will save future victims of these pedophiles.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:25 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,068,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
In 1976, at a Boston Police station, two policemen discuss the arrest of Catholic priest Fr. John Geoghan for child molestation and the presence of a high ranking cleric talking to the mother of the children. The Assistant District Attorney then enters the precinct and tells the policemen not to let the press get wind of what has happened. The arrest is hushed up, and the priest is released.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotlight_(film)

Have seen it myself and have it on dvd as well.

I would bet a dollar to doughnuts that there are far more victims of this sort with the RCC (as well as other religious and public institutions) that have never come forward and many resting in their graves (RIP). I am aware of a few myself and unless you're a celebrity what's the point? Take the chance that one will not be the object of victim blaming.

If I 'know a few' I am sure many others 'know a few' but sadly, it is an ugly topic and few if any are anxious to discuss it, can't say I blame them.
Okay thanks. Why is it that the district attorney cares about the reputation of some priest he doesn't even know? Or did the DA know the priest and were perhaps friends?

Old 05-26-2018, 06:58 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,448,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Okay thanks. Why is it that the district attorney cares about the reputation of some priest he doesn't even know? Or did the DA know the priest and were perhaps friends?
Consider rewatching the movie. I think it does an exceptional job of explaining the questions you've posed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime