Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2017, 11:13 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,772,369 times

Advertisements

There are a few prisoners that I sympathize with and would like to send a little money to since money in prisons is hard to come by. They aren't rapists or child killers or psychos or serial killers but are guys that just made some mistakes and got caught(the only difference between most of us and them is they got caught and we didn't). Usually theft or robbery or something stupid that they probably acknowledge now as being a stupid mistake.
Also, how can a person get the prison address of prisoners. By state? A web site?

Old 06-06-2017, 08:55 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
I believe it's possible to find an inmates JCA number. (In Florida that's what it's called)
You could probably go to the arresting agency's website or the prison/jail itself and find the information.
I believe that number is yours for life, so if a person was arrested in 1985 and arrested again in 1995 the number would be the same. Like your prison social security number so to speak..

I had an uncle in jail for a DUI 2rd offence. He told us not to send money because the state would take what he owed for intake and daily fees off the top of the sent money. So we'd basically be paying for his housing and little else..
They actually took his bank card that was in his wallet and put that into his account when he was arrested.. (Without his permission )

So instead we sent I-care packages through the jails commissary provider, aramark.
These were food packages, candy packages that type thing.. they varied in price from $15- whatever.. They even had a special food order that he was allowed to have one night a week, like double cheeseburgers, pizza, Philly cheese steaks..

He told us after he served his 6 months that the food was his currency..
A haircut cost 1 ramen packet for example..

He was thankful for the I-care packages, I'm sure it made things a bit easier and kept his belly a little fuller..

Old 06-08-2017, 01:59 PM

359 posts, read 320,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
the only difference between most of us and them is they got caught and we didn't.

Most of us? Seriously? How about just don't do anything that could land you in jail in the first place?

Old 06-08-2017, 11:05 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
I have worked with innocence project and a lot of states have an online way to deposit money via cc. Some are totally anonymous, some will have your name but not address. Some places are old school and require postal money orders but I think those are becoming obsolete.
I guess if you want to be totally anonymous, you can try using a visa gc and putting a generic name for the sender.
You just go to the state doc, do a search, get their doc number and make sure you have the right person in case there's more than one with the same name. There should be instructions on how to send money. Don't send too much bc you can cause trouble for them. I wouldn't send more than $20 to someone in gen pop. $50 to death row.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:50 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,630,795 times
I would like to do the same thing for two young men that went to prison way too young. They are not relatives or friends but, just two teens with out much support. I don't know that I could even find their names now to search in the prison pop. for them. One was black and one was white. Too sad.

Good luck, OP.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:40 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I believe it's possible to find an inmates JCA number. (In Florida that's what it's called)
You could probably go to the arresting agency's website or the prison/jail itself and find the information.
I believe that number is yours for life, so if a person was arrested in 1985 and arrested again in 1995 the number would be the same. Like your prison social security number so to speak..

I had an uncle in jail for a DUI 2rd offence. He told us not to send money because the state would take what he owed for intake and daily fees off the top of the sent money. So we'd basically be paying for his housing and little else..
They actually took his bank card that was in his wallet and put that into his account when he was arrested.. (Without his permission )

So instead we sent I-care packages through the jails commissary provider, aramark.
These were food packages, candy packages that type thing.. they varied in price from $15- whatever.. They even had a special food order that he was allowed to have one night a week, like double cheeseburgers, pizza, Philly cheese steaks..

He told us after he served his 6 months that the food was his currency..
A haircut cost 1 ramen packet for example..

He was thankful for the I-care packages, I'm sure it made things a bit easier and kept his belly a little fuller..

apples to oranges

comparing jails to prisons

Old 06-25-2017, 11:49 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,016,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
There are a few prisoners that I sympathize with and would like to send a little money to since money in prisons is hard to come by. They aren't rapists or child killers or psychos or serial killers but are guys that just made some mistakes and got caught(the only difference between most of us and them is they got caught and we didn't). Usually theft or robbery or something stupid that they probably acknowledge now as being a stupid mistake.
Also, how can a person get the prison address of prisoners. By state? A web site?

JPay | Your Home For Corrections Services Here's the only way I know for sure. It works here in Michigan for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime