Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 03:43 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I can't believe anyone can defend Brock. He got off easy and he still wants to appeal his conviction. He deserved many years in prison, but got 3 months. That's disgusting.

You are correct, so many men get away with this. My wife still has trauma over something that happened over 20 years ago. Her and people like you are my heroes. You are dealing with something I could never imagine.
Thank you for your kind words. My regards to your wife. Not only did women endure the trauma of the assault itself, but what was done then in the courts and in the press to women who tried to bring their assailants to justice was unconscionable.

I very much agree with the identities of the women being kept private these days.

Old 01-12-2018, 06:59 PM

109 posts, read 66,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Not really...while the victim of theft may accept some responsibility, that never impacts the degree of guilt or sentencing of the thief...whereas if the rape victim accepts some responsibility the first thing we do is try to get the rapist's sentence reduced and shield them from "ruining their life" over "20 minutes of action".

She may be somewhat responsible for having been the "chosen victim of the moment" but the other women around were also at risk...there's a good chance that ONE of them would have been the victim...now let's just make the one who was actually chosen be at fault. That's the whole point - WHOEVER was the victim, the RAPIST is the CRIMINAL...now we judge the woman that he CHOSE as being the bad one?
I'm not sure who you're speaking of when you say "we". If I believed Brock was actually guilty of sexually assaulting someone, I would want to see him punished severely. I don't see anyone arguing against real rapists being sentenced harshly because their victim dressed a certain way. How was she a "chosen victim"? She willingly left the party with him. What were her intentions? Her position seems to be "well, I drank too much and don't remember, so therefore you must've victimized me".

Old 01-12-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Emily was presumed to be a victim not because of what she said but rather because of what witnesses testified to seeing when they happened upon Turner and Doe outside, on the ground.
I'm talking about before the trial. Long before any witnesses testified. What if the jury had determined that this woman was lying or totally incredible and Brock acquitted? Her name would STILL be protected while his name ruined. Think Duke lacrosse case. If one is going to accuse another of a crime, they should have to do that publicly, not anonymously.

Old 01-12-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
He had a trial. He was convicted. There were witnesses. A person who is drunk cannot give consent. Intoxication is not carte blanche for a man to do whatever he wants to a woman. Intoxication isn’t necessarily a crime. Assault is.
But apparently intoxication is carte blanche for a woman to do whatever she wants without any responsibility? And if later this woman is told that she did something she now regrets, she can claim to be an assault victim?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
I am a woman who was brutally raped and beaten 47 years ago. I was NOT drinking. It is still with me. Nothing, absolutely nothing, was done to the man because of thinking like yours. So many men get away with bad behavior: rape, assault, harassment.

I have not one shred of sympathy for Brock Turner. Not one.
I don't know what you believe my thinking to be. If you're under the impression that I don't want to see rapists punished, you are mistaken.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:03 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmatico View Post
But apparently intoxication is carte blanche for a woman to do whatever she wants without any responsibility? And if later this woman is told that she did something she now regrets, she can claim to be an assault victim?I don't know what you believe my thinking to be. If you're under the impression that I don't want to see rapists punished, you are mistaken.
She has plenty of repercussions for her behavior and poor choices. She has to live with what was done to her. But she committed no crime. You want to see rapists punished only if the victim is above reproach, apparently.

Yes, she is an assault victim because she was incapable of consent. Brock Turner is no different from the Steubenville football players. He is responsible for HIS actions.

Last edited by Gusano; 01-12-2018 at 09:15 PM..

Old 01-12-2018, 10:54 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
Drunken **** is discovered semi-coherent outdoors instead of in some random's bed as she normally does for her numerous episodes of blackout sex and suddenly its rape?

Sorry...this one definitely stinks - the guy was convicted by a lynch mob of public opinion, not by the due process of law.

The sentence should be tossed on appeal, with prejudice.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:56 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I'm truly baffled by the draw toward the worst with an unknown. No reasonable person would prefer an assault over poor drunken judgment. But society has cemented a double standard when it comes to drinking. I couldn't blame any innocent man for lying. They also create and break victims before an assault even takes place with the idea that rape will "distort", "damage", "break" them. Brock got 3 months, "she gets a life sentence". So when it does happen, it becomes "I don’t want my body anymore. I was terrified of it". They bathe over and over because they feel dirty, scrubbing until they're raw. They are living the trauma that was actually created for them. That's not to say it isn't a violation, that it shouldn't hurt. But it doesn't have be what it has become for so many.

Agreed. What is he apologizing for exactly?
She made a habit of having blackout sex with strangers she met at parties. How is this episode any different just because it happened outdoors?

Old 01-12-2018, 11:51 PM

290 posts, read 214,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Drunken **** is discovered semi-coherent outdoors instead of in some random's bed as she normally does for her numerous episodes of blackout sex and suddenly its rape?

Sorry...this one definitely stinks - the guy was convicted by a lynch mob of public opinion, not by the due process of law.

yup...this in a nutshell.

brock turner was pretty much in the wrong place at the wrong time

Old 01-12-2018, 11:54 PM

290 posts, read 214,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I can't believe anyone can defend Brock. He got off easy and he still wants to appeal his conviction. He deserved many years in prison, but got 3 months. That's disgusting.

You are correct, so many men get away with this. My wife still has trauma over something that happened over 20 years ago. Her and people like you are my heroes. You are dealing with something I could never imagine.
got off easy? lmao

Brock did pretty much nothing wrong...the lynch mob lib mentality pretty much got him those 3 months. if there is any justice....then his conviction will be overturned and tossed.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:35 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
Quote:

She was not semi coherent. She was unconscious.
Quote:
She made a habit of having blackout sex with strangers she met at parties. How is this episode any different just because it happened outdoors?

You know this, how?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime