Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 02:14 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,059,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I have read somewhere that narcissists rarely kill themselves. Susan Smith does seem to be a narcissist.
My impression, after a 7-year long relationship with a clinically diagnosed Narcissistic Sociopath, is that although they do exhibit suicidal ideation; they are far more likely to use threats as a manipulative behavior.

I remember reading somewhere that it was theorized that in the event of a nuclear bomb; cockroaches would likely be the only living creature with the potential to survive. My first thought was "No; add my ex to that list".

I have never seen anything like it; the situations he could squirm out of ... Epic. And entertaining, which was part of the problem as to why I stayed with him for 7 years. "Entertaining" goes a long way with me. Too long.

If Susan Smith were to be released today, she would undoubtedly still be a menace to society. Released at age 60 in 2024? Meh; not so much, IMO. She appears to be very Institutionalized to me

Old 01-09-2018, 02:40 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,334,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
My impression, after a 7-year long relationship with a clinically diagnosed Narcissistic Sociopath, is that although they do exhibit suicidal ideation; they are far more likely to use threats as a manipulative behavior.

I remember reading somewhere that it was theorized that in the event of a nuclear bomb; cockroaches would likely be the only living creature with the potential to survive. My first thought was "No; add my ex to that list".

I have never seen anything like it; the situations he could squirm out of ... Epic. And entertaining, which was part of the problem as to why I stayed with him for 7 years. "Entertaining" goes a long way with me. Too long.

If Susan Smith were to be released today, she would undoubtedly still be a menace to society. Released at age 60 in 2024? Meh; not so much, IMO. She appears to be very Institutionalized to me
I had a long term friend who was a bona fide narcissist and even admitted it. Among other things, she surrounded herself with photographs of herself. It was creepy. Men fell for her all the time, though. She wasn't a dangerous person at all, and I would guess that most narcissists aren't. She loved to create drama, head games, and all that. She also had a serious lack of empathy for others. I began to distance myself once I woke up and smelled the coffee. She could be a lot of fun to be with, but there was nothing more there.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:27 PM

17,492 posts, read 15,086,108 times
Quote:
My mom was diagnosed with Borderline. Although she never killed anyone, there were times I was afraid of her.

Do you know anything about Susan Smith's upbringing? I read a book about this crime but it didn't go into much detail, except I think she was sexually abused by a family member.
If I recall, and remember we're closing in on 30 years on this.. Her stepfather was ACCUSED of molesting her. I think it was a he said/she said and the first time it was mentioned was when she was attempting to avoid the chair.. So.. I certainly take it with something of a grain of salt.

I do know that he never faced any charges for it, and I would think if they had a provable case that he did molest her, in a case with this much notoriety that they would have brought charges against him if they could prove anything.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:40 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,239,009 times
Why is this trash still alive? She should have been terminated immediately after trial. Rehabilitation indeed.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:49 PM

23,966 posts, read 32,289,435 times
Quote:
My mom was diagnosed with Borderline. Although she never killed anyone, there were times I was afraid of her.

Do you know anything about Susan Smith's upbringing? I read a book about this crime but it didn't go into much detail, except I think she was sexually abused by a family member.

Yes. She was abused by her step-father.

However, many people were abused and they don't drive their kids into a lake and drown them.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:10 PM

26,657 posts, read 26,627,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Her stepfather was ACCUSED of molesting her. I think it was a he said/she said and the first time it was mentioned was when she was attempting to avoid the chair.. So.. I certainly take it with something of a grain of salt.
As Sheena stated, she was definitely abused by her stepfather, Beverly (Bev) Russell, a successful businessman. (See other Smith thread.) Her mother had married Russell not long after Susan's biological father committed suicide. The Department of Social Services was contacted, and Russell moved out of the family home for a period of time. However, the public nature of the allegations was an embarrassment to their family and town, and her mother blamed Susan for it. He moved back in. The sexual molestation apparently continued.

The psychiatrist hired for her defense gave some insight into her behavior. She was definitely unstable and probably suicidal when she was driving around with her children, before she drove into the lake.

Psychiatrist for Susan Smith's Defense Tells of a Woman Desperate to Be Liked - NYTimes.com

Old 01-09-2018, 04:11 PM

401 posts, read 329,447 times
"As recently as two years ago, Smith felt compelled to tell a reporter that “[She is] not the monster society thinks I am. I am far from it” and claimed that “Something went very wrong that night. I was not myself.”

“I was a good mother and I loved my boys. There was no motive as it was not even a planned event. I was not in my right mind,” she said."

Oh, alrighty then. She wasn't herself that night. Now I get it.

Old 01-09-2018, 05:56 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,053,397 times
I worked for the SC Department of Corrections in college. It was very common for Correction Officers to have affairs with inmates both male and female.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:15 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,334,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
As Sheena stated, she was definitely abused by her stepfather, Beverly (Bev) Russell, a successful businessman. (See other Smith thread.) Her mother had married Russell not long after Susan's biological father committed suicide. The Department of Social Services was contacted, and Russell moved out of the family home for a period of time. However, the public nature of the allegations was an embarrassment to their family and town, and her mother blamed Susan for it. He moved back in. The sexual molestation apparently continued.

Many people have survived childhood molestation without becoming killers. I think there were multiple factors, and the break-up with Tom Findlay probably triggered it. A few weeks or days before, he'd sent her a letter explaining he could never marry a woman with kids, and that he didn't want kids at all. That probably shook her up. Her mental health issues caused her to go haywire. It's a shame nobody ever reached out to give any support. Although no, I'm not excusing what she did.

Old 01-10-2018, 02:18 AM

1,487 posts, read 777,628 times
Default I remember very well

Susan Smith said a black man carjacked her and kidnapped her kids. She is a sociopath, and cared NOT for her children. She is a monster, and was making the lead detectives awfully suspicious by her cavalier, apathetic behavior concerning her children, her babies.
I believe had she not confessed, it was just a matter of time before they dragged her into the police station and cracked her open like an egg.
Do you not know that sociopaths play on the feelings they know others have, but they lack? They incite people to divert attention off of themselves, which is exactly what Susan Smith did. How could anyone kill their children? I would kill in defense of my child, but to hurt my baby, unthinkable.
I don't give a **** if she gets paroled, if she gets laid, whatever. I will never forget the ordeal she put the whole country through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.