Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 06:10 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,334,553 times

Advertisements

I moderate a different forum. We had this same format as CD, have since switched to a different format. Trust me, it's the moderation that keeps you from seeing the crazies here.

The forum I moderate deals with ecigs and we are very strict about how members treat other members. Debate is good as long as it is kept to debating the subject. What is not allowed is attacking the poster. Once it gets personal, posts are deleted and warnings are issued. If the same poster continues to attack people, infractions and vacations are handed out.

If they come back without learning their lesson on how to behave, they are shown the door.

All reasons, on why a post is deleted, remains in the spot that the post resided. Members can see that a post was there and they can read why the moderator deleted the post. That helps to educate other members on what we do not tolerate.

A rival forum seems to attract our cast offs and they say our forum is run by Nazis. That forum I wouldn't ever be comfortable in. They allow attacking others. You know, freedom of speech...

How a forum plays out comes directly from the owner, to the Administrators, to the moderators.

Old 01-25-2018, 07:19 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,948,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNorthMainer View Post
I have a theory. It’s just my theory. The more bells and whistles a website has, the more graphics, the greater the chance it will attract unstable people. City-Data is so graphics-minimal, it’s the closest you can get in 2018 to a pen pal!
Why do you think the use of graphics attracts unstable people? It's not unusual for some people to think visually, and, for example, cartoons can be graphic statements that depict political and opinion satire.