Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 08:23 AM

3,045 posts, read 1,954,941 times

Advertisements

I thought I'd begin a list of free, true crime podcasts for others who may not know about them. Feel free to add your own selections to the list at any time.

Since I do a lot of driving, I appreciate having something to stream when radio reception is sketchy or the programs aren't to my liking or I need a break from music. Many from the below list can be found on varying websites... Stitcher, Spreaker, Podbean, Blog Talk Radio, Parcast, the podcasts' own websites & too many others to name... so, if 1 doesn't work on your mobile, try another.

I also find that sometimes the websites pulled up on a computer will have the latest show, whereas the mobile sites don't have the most recent show for a few extra days to a week. Lastly, I have a Windows phone... sometimes if I tap on the blue play button, the podcast won't begin on a few sites... I need to tap on the name of that episode, to bring me to a 2nd screen where I can tap on another blue start button. Unsure if that's common, but it's worth a mention.

Here's a beginning list in no particular order. I won't give commentary on my favorite podcasts, since we'll all differ on likeability/quality of hosts or programs & have varying sensitivities. For instance, I find if the stories involve kids or are too graphic in describing crimes, it's too unnerving & often skip them or bail out early.

I've listened to most podcasts, but not all. Some are great & I've heard every episode:

True Crime Garage
My Favorite Murder
Last Podcast on the Left
Opperman Report

The Generation Why Podcast
Lore
Casefile True Crime
Casefile Podcast (not the same as above... this is a 2017 AU podcast winner)

Sword & Scale (Warning: This one can be graphic & often adds re-enactments of murders, with sound effects. I've found a few of them fairly gruesome, especially if you've got kids or those who are fairly sensitive within ears' reach.)
Criminal
Up & Vanished
Most Notorious (Historical murders, like Jack the Ripper, Rasputin or from eras gone by)

Thinking Sideways
Already Gone
The Vanished Podcast
Serial Killers (The most historically infamous and/or those from eras gone by, like Elizabeth Bathory)

Cults (Jim Jones, David Koresh, etc)
Small Town Murder (New find, hosted by comedians... I'll give it a listen)
The NYC Crime Report with Pat Dixon (Also a new find, hosted by a comedian)
Unsolved Murders: True Crime Stories (Cases from decades ago)

Crime Writers On... (Husband & wife crime writers who discuss crime podcasts & cases)
Fame is a B**ch (AJ Benza's podcast, but some stories include old H'wood or Mafia murders)
True Crime Brewery

Podcasts which focus on 1 story over multiple episodes or seasons:

Dirty John
S-Town
Serial
Someone Knows Something

Undisclosed
Missing Maura Maury
Truth & Justice: The West Memphis 3

BlogTalkRadio.com:

True Murder: The Most Shocking Killers in True Crime History (Canadian writer Dan Zupansky interviews true crime writers about their books. Warning: Some stories are quite gruesome.)
Too many to list... but, if you go to the website & search for varying keywords, like 'true crime' or 'murder', it pulls up dozens of shows, many very good.

Most I listen to on Stitcher or Spreaker. If you have trouble finding one, let me know, as there are a few on obscure sites. If I don't reply for awhile, I'm in the process of doing a combo vacation-relocation... so, after Valentine's Day, it may be awhile before I'm back to the site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 12:03 PM

Default A few more from Podbean.com

EZRider... this one's for you:

Canadian True Crime has a 4 part Robert Pickton series from Jan of this year:
https://canadiantruecrimepodcast.podbean.com/

True Crime Guys
Real Crime Profile
Bloody Murder
Cold Case Murder Mysteries
Martinis & Murder
Murder, Myth & Mystery

Podcasts focusing on 1 case over a series of episodes or seasons:

A Murder on Orchard Street
Untold: The Daniel Morgan Murder
Black Hands: A Family Mass Murder

Podbean has many more for free, just search keywords or names.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:10 PM

Default A few more sites...

Podcasts.com

Readily found 4 pgs of true crime podcasts via keyword 'crime', 2-pgs more via keyword 'murder'. I won't list them individually... I'm familiar with a handful & others are new but look interesting.

Player.fm
The below link is to a list of the best true crime podcasts... many in the above lists, but some new ones. It has direct links to the podcasts, as well.

https://player.fm/featured/true-crime

Buzzfeed's list of Top 16 TC podcasts... a few on the above lists, most new:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alivelez/16...lKO#.rvPqNRpG3

Stylecaster's Top 20 TC podcasts:

Some of the same, some new...

20 Best True Crime Podcasts as Good as ‘Serial’ | StyleCaster

Wow, there sure are a LOT of true crime podcasts... these should keep us busy for awhile!

Old 02-07-2018, 02:38 PM

Default Several more...

I know people would really enjoy Canadian journalist & podcaster, James Corbett's well done series, Requiem for the Suicided, focusing on prominent murders covered up & labeled as suicides, according to his research... Gary Webb (the very good movie "Kill the Messenger" with Jeremy Renner playing Gary was made in 2014), Vince Foster (Clinton White House Counsel), the DC Madam, Danny Casalaro (the reporter investigating Promis Software, Iran Contra & Justice Dept corruption) & a couple more.

All the shows:
https://www.corbettreport.com/?s=requiem+for+the

Those episodes are also found on his YTube channel, Corbett Report.

If you're unfamiliar, James is an excellent reporter, giving extensive details to whatever his subject. No nonsense, not given to drama & hyperbole, good voice & delivery.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:47 PM

927 posts, read 962,025 times
Thanks again for all the stuff!

Old 02-08-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrider62 View Post
Thanks again for all the stuff!
You're very welcome. I hate to say enjoy, given the subject matter... but, you know what I mean.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:11 AM

401 posts, read 328,495 times
Thanks for the info. This is a recap of Dateline episodes by two fans. Sometimes it's a bit snarky - asks the questions the viewer at home would have asked while watching, talks about the 'characters' (real people on the episode) and the Dateline host; what they missed or didn't miss.

A Date With Dateline | Because you aren't supposed to watch alone…

Old 02-08-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
Thanks for the info. This is a recap of Dateline episodes by two fans. Sometimes it's a bit snarky - asks the questions the viewer at home would have asked while watching, talks about the 'characters' (real people on the episode) and the Dateline host; what they missed or didn't miss.

A Date With Dateline | Because you aren't supposed to watch alone…
You're welcome, bbtm & thank you for the link. I'm in the process of packing to move... going to listen to one now!

Old 02-13-2018, 10:36 PM

202 posts, read 151,861 times
Very useful thread. Have been picking through the various shortcuts.

Old 02-14-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hardy View Post
Very useful thread. Have been picking through the various shortcuts.
Hiya, Cliff. I just left my apt today to relocate & drove only 300-mi (I've got far more mileage to drive)... it went much faster listening to podcasts in the car. I break up the crime podcasts with comedy podcasts. Some of the crime stories can feel a bit gruesome, particularly if current crimes, but if it's a well done story, it makes a huge difference & offsets the gnarly feeling.

Feel free to list any you listen to, which may not be in my list. Thanks for your reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime