Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 12:32 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times

Advertisements

A couple of shows about "The Dating Game" serial killer have replayed recently. My question: isn't the reason he wasn't punished more severely for his first (caught) crime in 1968 because the family of the 8-year-old victim didn't want her to testify, and so they had to settle for a lesser charge carrying a lighter penalty? And now that family is on TV complaining that he didn't get a stiffer sentence? Could've saved a lot of lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 03:53 AM

927 posts, read 969,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
A couple of shows about "The Dating Game" serial killer have replayed recently. My question: isn't the reason he wasn't punished more severely for his first (caught) crime in 1968 because the family of the 8-year-old victim didn't want her to testify, and so they had to settle for a lesser charge carrying a lighter penalty? And now that family is on TV complaining that he didn't get a stiffer sentence? Could've saved a lot of lives.
I don't know, but this guy was one Creepy Fella. Must still be locked up I guess.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:20 AM

He is. I just find it ironic that the first victim and her family had the chance to put him away -- or even to death -- and didn't take it, but now are complaining about the outcome.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:34 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
There's a memorial plaque at the Huntington Beach pier where he kidnaped and killed that little girl.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:28 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,491,332 times
For the rape and beating of an EIGHT year old girl he spent only 4 years in prison. Appalling. It appears that his next conviction was rape of a 15 yo for which he got only 9 years.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:03 AM

927 posts, read 969,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
For the rape and beating of an EIGHT year old girl he spent only 4 years in prison. Appalling. It appears that his next conviction was rape of a 15 yo for which he got only 9 years.
Amazing that with this he is released at all. Isn't it obvious this guy will re-offend. A person like this should never be released under any circumstances, it is always just a matter of time and opportunity for him until the next victim. Predators never get better, they can only be locked up for prevention of further crimes.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:06 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,934 times
What amazes me is remembering Nixons' law enforcement initiatives in the early seventies went from 38 million Federally to over 380 million in just four years, and the paranoia it caused, yet this guy operated right under their noses. Meanwhile, a dobbie conviction had friends losing their homes, credit rating, and getting jail time.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrider62 View Post
Amazing that with this he is released at all. Isn't it obvious this guy will re-offend. A person like this should never be released under any circumstances, it is always just a matter of time and opportunity for him until the next victim. Predators never get better, they can only be locked up for prevention of further crimes.
Again, the family didn't allow the child to testify or maybe even talk to police; they whisked her out of the country. With their help, the sentence would've been much stiffer. If it's anyone's "fault," it's theirs (and now they're crying about the sentence).

Old 02-25-2018, 10:55 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,627 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Again, the family didn't allow the child to testify or maybe even talk to police; they whisked her out of the country. With their help, the sentence would've been much stiffer. If it's anyone's "fault," it's theirs (and now they're crying about the sentence).
The parents were in a tough spot. I would have a hard time forcing my 9 year old to take the stand and recount that horror.

I wonder if they had the option they do now, to have a forensic psychologist interview the child and then use the video rather than stick the child on the stand to be grilled.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:57 AM

Pretty sure that option was available then, too. They just chose to run. That's their prerogative, and not to blame the victim, but they don't really have room to complain now (and it wasn't the judge's fault; his hands would've been tied -- no pun intended -- without the evidence needed to convict and sentence appropriately).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime