Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2018, 11:33 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

The only murder that I can compare this to, is that of Sylvia Lykens. A protracted torture murder that occurred in Indianapolis, Indiana in 1965.

https://crimecrawlers.wordpress.com/...gela-mcanulty/

Poor Jeanette never had a chance.

Jeanette Maples, like Sylvia Likens, was the daughter of a former carnival worker mother. Both were 16 years old at the time of their death.

Her mother re-married, and as it usually goes, her step father was not a fan.

Her mother and step father spared their two biological children the horrific abuse that they heaped upon Jeanette.

While, the girl was permitted to attend public school up until middle school, she was bullied and ridiculed at school for her ragged clothes and bad smell. She found refuge in reading and enjoyed spending time in the library. The mother of a friend attempted to make a CPS report. She was told that unless she had seen it herself, this would thought of as a second hand account, which would not be investigated by the state.

Later on, the mother and step father pulled Jeanette out of school and claimed that they were "home schooling" her. They had other plans.

In fact, they were home torture killing her.

Another call was made by her step-grandmother who visited the house one day and saw the girl in terrible shape in a blood spattered room. She also called CPS. Nothing happened.

The primary abuser in this case, was not the step-father (although he did participate) but her own biological mother.

When she died, her face and body were maimed and mutilated. Her lips were disfigured beyond recognition, and her front teeth were knocked out.

Police say that the flesh and bones were "torn from her skin".

What are your thoughts? How could this happen TODAY????

Last edited by sheena12; 03-04-2018 at 11:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 12:21 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
Reminds me a little bit of the Sylvia Likens case. It once again makes me question the wisdom of home schooling, unless there is outside supervision. These kids just become invisible and go off "the grid", so to speak.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:03 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
That caseworker saying you can't report child abuse unless you actually "witness" it should lose her job.

I really believe that if there is an open CPS case on a public school child, and at that point the parents withdraw the child to "homeschool" them, that should trigger an automatic placement of the child in the "extreme at risk" category and merit a weekly unannounced visit to the home for at least the first 4 months or so.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:53 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The only murder that I can compare this to, is that of Sylvia Lykens. A protracted torture murder that occurred in Indianapolis, Indiana in 1965.

https://crimecrawlers.wordpress.com/...gela-mcanulty/

Poor Jeanette never had a chance.

Jeanette Maples, like Sylvia Likens, was the daughter of a former carnival worker mother. Both were 16 years old at the time of their death.

Her mother re-married, and as it usually goes, her step father was not a fan.

Her mother and step father spared their two biological children the horrific abuse that they heaped upon Jeanette.

While, the girl was permitted to attend public school up until middle school, she was bullied and ridiculed at school for her ragged clothes and bad smell. She found refuge in reading and enjoyed spending time in the library. The mother of a friend attempted to make a CPS report. She was told that unless she had seen it herself, this would thought of as a second hand account, which would not be investigated by the state.

Later on, the mother and step father pulled Jeanette out of school and claimed that they were "home schooling" her. They had other plans.

In fact, they were home torture killing her.

Another call was made by her step-grandmother who visited the house one day and saw the girl in terrible shape in a blood spattered room. She also called CPS. Nothing happened.

The primary abuser in this case, was not the step-father (although he did participate) but her own biological mother.

When she died, her face and body were maimed and mutilated. Her lips were disfigured beyond recognition, and her front teeth were knocked out.

Police say that the flesh and bones were "torn from her skin".

What are your thoughts? How could this happen TODAY????
Actually it was 8 years ago (late 2009), and I wonder what the outcome of the trial was. Hopefully they both got LWOP. Being the child killers that they are, they should have very long lives living with others than despise them, rather than the easy way out DP.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:01 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
Just reading about Jeanette Maples, believe her mother got the death penalty, stepfather 25yrs.

I would've skipped over CPS and gone straight to the police, and standing on their doorstep everyday until she were removed.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Actually it was 8 years ago (late 2009), and I wonder what the outcome of the trial was. Hopefully they both got LWOP. Being the child killers that they are, they should have very long lives living with others than despise them, rather than the easy way out DP.
By "today" I mean in this century. Not "on this day".

Old 03-12-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Just reading about Jeanette Maples, believe her mother got the death penalty, stepfather 25yrs.

I would've skipped over CPS and gone straight to the police, and standing on their doorstep everyday until she were removed.
Yes. She did get the DP. To my knowledge, she has not been executed yet. The mother, in this case, was the worse abuser.

I KNOW how to get CPS to respond. If for some reason these simple methods do not work, a neighbor can call the police and ask for a welfare check of a minor child. They always respond and they will not leave without seeing the individual.

The thing is, she was not always "homeschooled". Teachers are mandated reporters. They should have referred her to the school nurse and social worker - also mandated reporters, and ALL THREE should have called.

She smelled. Wore ratty clothes. And she was afraid to go home. Anyone of these things should have been enough.

Very tragic.

Not acting in the face of evil is as bad as perpetrating evil. Someone wise said that, or something close.

If I were anyone in that school - or a neighbor - I couldn't live with myself.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:00 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,371,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
By "today" I mean in this century. Not "on this day".
Yeah, I thought that's what you meant. My post was mainly to see if anyone had any updated info. No criticism intended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime