Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 08:44 AM

13 posts, read 25,941 times

Advertisements

I was curious to see what other people's favorite case is. Whether it's a murder, disappearance, or money laundering.
My favorite is still unsolved. It's the disappearance of Robin Graham. It happened close to my hometown so I always heard of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 06:53 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times
No particular case, but crimes committed by women intrigue me... not the motives of these criminals, because basically they're scumbags, but actually just how they get away with it. No one suspects women of being capable of devious scheming, or extreme violence... until it's way too late.

I was flipping through some murderous women's case descriptions online... a surprising number of women have been convicted of murdering their husbands in recent years. An oddity that struck me is that many of them were married to men in "hero" careers, like police officers, or military guys. It seemed like a higher proportion than I'd expect to find overall among people in the U.S. Hmm!

Old 10-26-2015, 05:25 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
The murder of Helle Crafts a/k/a the "woodchipper murder", in Connecticut in the 1980s.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:53 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
No particular case, but crimes committed by women intrigue me... not the motives of these criminals, because basically they're scumbags, but actually just how they get away with it. No one suspects women of being capable of devious scheming, or extreme violence... until it's way too late.

I was flipping through some murderous women's case descriptions online... a surprising number of women have been convicted of murdering their husbands in recent years. An oddity that struck me is that many of them were married to men in "hero" careers, like police officers, or military guys. It seemed like a higher proportion than I'd expect to find overall among people in the U.S. Hmm!
If you get Escape TV, they are currently running an entire Tuesday night lineup of Snapped episodes. Most (but not all) of those are women criminals, and most of those murdered their spouse or boyfriend.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:20 PM

Unfortunately, I can't remember the woman's name. But my current favorite case was the one where she wanted her husband dead and hired a hit man. Of course it was really an undercover police officer.

They could have arrested her right then, but for some reason they decided to let it play out. They told hubby what was happening and got him out of their house. The wife had arranged to be at the gym for an alibi when it happened. The police set up crime scene tape and there were a hundred marked cars parked in the street when she came home. They had a camera on her when they told her that her hubby was dead. The act she put on was eye opening. I thought it was pretty convincing, except that she started it just a few seconds too early. If she had waited just a beat for the news to sink in, it wouldn't have looked like she was expecting to hear that he was dead. But the wailing and gnashing of teeth looked pretty real.

But wait, they didn't even end it there. They took her to the police station to see if she had info that could help solve his murder. She talked and talked and wound the rope tighter. Until finally they brought in the "hitman." Then finally her undead hubby. She was still crying and saying they were misunderstanding and begging hubby to come talk to her so she could explain.

The motive? Money. They had a townhome that was paid off. It seems like she probably had life insurance on him too. He wasn't beating her, nor cheating or anything else that might offer a sliver of a legitimate reason why she'd want him dead. Just money.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:36 AM

127 posts, read 143,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Unfortunately, I can't remember the woman's name. But my current favorite case was the one where she wanted her husband dead and hired a hit man. Of course it was really an undercover police officer.

They could have arrested her right then, but for some reason they decided to let it play out. They told hubby what was happening and got him out of their house. The wife had arranged to be at the gym for an alibi when it happened. The police set up crime scene tape and there were a hundred marked cars parked in the street when she came home. They had a camera on her when they told her that her hubby was dead. The act she put on was eye opening. I thought it was pretty convincing, except that she started it just a few seconds too early. If she had waited just a beat for the news to sink in, it wouldn't have looked like she was expecting to hear that he was dead. But the wailing and gnashing of teeth looked pretty real.

But wait, they didn't even end it there. They took her to the police station to see if she had info that could help solve his murder. She talked and talked and wound the rope tighter. Until finally they brought in the "hitman." Then finally her undead hubby. She was still crying and saying they were misunderstanding and begging hubby to come talk to her so she could explain.

The motive? Money. They had a townhome that was paid off. It seems like she probably had life insurance on him too. He wasn't beating her, nor cheating or anything else that might offer a sliver of a legitimate reason why she'd want him dead. Just money.

Haha, I remember this one as well, classic.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:47 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,072,428 times
I remember that too. ^^^
And then they let her go home!

I wonder if Mike(the undead hubby) came up w/that?

Old 10-28-2015, 03:57 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times
Ok, I've got one. A real "whodunnit" too. Cindy James was a Vancouver nurse who died in mysterious circumstances in 1989, after being relentlessly harassed by a stalker for 7 years.

The twist in the plot: she may have been "stalking" herself the entire time, and staged her own death to make it look like a murder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbrAggQE2EA

Old 10-29-2015, 03:26 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,823,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
Haha, I remember this one as well, classic.
Her name is Dalia Dippolito.......that case was just replayed on Snapped yesterday on the Oxygen channel... Her fake crying in the street was a nice touch....

Old 10-29-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnochili View Post
I remember that too. ^^^
And then they let her go home!

I wonder if Mike(the undead hubby) came up w/that?
Thanks for her name Linda.

OMG I just googled it and saw they overturned the conviction and she was out on bail and to be retried in 2014. I can't find anything on the retrial. Was it posponed?

Can't believe this POS got to run around free for even one more day. I'm sure she will be convicted again. How could a jury not believe a video of her hiring a hit man? And I also hope she gets double the time -- 40 years this time -- just for having the brass balls to even have the case tried again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime