Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 12:39 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,422,290 times

Advertisements

Most of us know about cell phones and tracking.

What about cars? I had heard several years ago that most new cars have a gps tracker built in that is kind of like a black box on an airplane. It keeps track of everywhere the car has been.

Does anyone know if this is true? I haven't been able to verify it.

But if it is true, that would make it very hard for someone to get away with crimes that involve driving somewhere. If they say they weren't in the area, just check their car. Check with the suspect's friends and relatives to see if they borrowed a car and check that black box too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 06:07 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,453,802 times
Just 13 states have laws on the issue, and fewer offer strong privacy protection.

• Federal government has proposed that all new passenger vehicles be equipped with EDRs.

• But 96% of new cars already have them, as do at least 150 million older vehicles.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...om/amp/1566098

Google your states laws on EDR.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:20 PM

That's strange, I wonder why I haven't heard of any crimes solved using that?

Old 03-16-2018, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the link. So in 2013 it didn't have a gps but it did track the speed of the car and whether the seat belt was in use. So I guess gps hasn't been added yet?

Old 03-16-2018, 08:59 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,453,802 times
The EDR is the only part of your car that you don't necessarily own. Just 13 states have laws on the issue, and fewer — Oregon and North Dakota, for example — offer strong privacy protection. The devices, part of a car's electronic system, are almost impossible to remove.

If you happen to read every word of your new car owner's manual, then you already know that your car may be monitoring your driving habits.

If you're like most people on the planet, though, it will come as a surprise that a box the size of a deck of cards — called an event data recorder — is on board, tracking your seat belt use, speed, steering, braking and at least a dozen other bits of data. When your air bag deploys, the EDR's memory records a few seconds before, during and after a crash, much like an airliner's "black box."
This a handy tool for analyzing the cause and effect of crashes. It can be used to improve safety technology. But its presence is not entirely benign. The data have many other potential uses — for insurance companies, lawyers and police, for instance — and it's up for grabs.
Proponents of black boxes argue that they aren't all that intrusive. Maybe so, today. But technology never stands still. GPS in cellphones was originally advanced as a safety feature so callers to 9-1-1 could be quickly located. But location identification is now used in all sorts of third-party apps. People's movements are easily tracked. It wouldn't take much to tweak EDRs for equally broad uses. They could record more. Some insurers are offering customers a cousin of the EDR, which tracks how a car is driven over a long period, so volunteer participants may qualify for lower rates.
Two things are certain. Black boxes are here to stay. And without strict rules of the road, they are less a boon to safety than an intrusive hitchhiker.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:20 PM

5,507 posts, read 6,425,580 times
I get a monthly free "check-up"/monitor on my car from On-Star, and I don't even pay for it anymore. So I know when tire pressure is low on one or more tires, for example. I don't like it, but "Big Brother" is here now and will never go away.

Old 03-18-2018, 05:06 PM

202 posts, read 151,461 times
I'm not sure how many other countries install GPS into cars as a matter of course? I have a feeling some prestige cars may have them though.

Mobile (cell) phones seem to featuring more and more prominently in the apprehension of criminals. Serious criminals these days should be using burner phones and throwing them away as they go.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:07 AM

5,789 posts, read 6,839,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
that would make it very hard for someone to get away with crimes that involve driving somewhere.
With security cameras being so cheap now, it is also probable the car will be caught on someone's camera, such as a street camera operated by the local city or one on someone's house or a business. Of course, you do have to know the approximate date/time they would be in the area.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:28 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,437,598 times
Im not sure I believe this about modern cars having a 'black box'. Seems like if this were true, police would be able to find people/ cars much easier than they are able to.

There was an incident here about a month ago, where a guy had stolen some ladies car at a gas station, and her baby was in the car, they relied solely on the public and other police out looking for the car. It turned out in the end, the baby was not even in the car when it was stolen, the lady had just made that up, so they would find her car quicker, but still they only found the car thanks to someone paying attention that happened to see the car and call it in, it was a newer Honda accord that was stolen.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:24 PM

202 posts, read 151,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im not sure I believe this about modern cars having a 'black box'. Seems like if this were true, police would be able to find people/ cars much easier than they are able to.

There was an incident here about a month ago, where a guy had stolen some ladies car at a gas station, and her baby was in the car, they relied solely on the public and other police out looking for the car. It turned out in the end, the baby was not even in the car when it was stolen, the lady had just made that up, so they would find her car quicker, but still they only found the car thanks to someone paying attention that happened to see the car and call it in, it was a newer Honda accord that was stolen.
Finding stolen cars would be child's play if all cars did have GPS/black boxes. I strongly suspect they don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime