Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did Peterson do it?
Yes, he killed her 44 72.13%
No, it was an accident 7 11.48%
I just can’t decide 10 16.39%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 07:45 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,347,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
Not such a thing about bisexual, either he/she is gay or is not.........
This is absolutely false.

Sexuality is a continuum, not a binary thing for most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 07:45 AM

555 posts, read 502,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferg72nc View Post
I live locally, followed the trial very closely, know people who worked with Kathleen and just watched the staircase.

When the verdict was read for the first trial, I was very upset because I felt that while he was may not be innocent, I did not feel that the burden of beyond a reasonable doubt was met. But after watching the Staircase, I now believe he is actually innocent. I do not believe that a guilty man would have risked a second trial simply to avoid having to take a guilty plea. I think that only an truly innocent person would have absolutely refused a Guilty plea, especially at his age and knowing that no matter what he said or did that most people would think he was guilty.
I'm sorry but these statements don't really make sense. He didn't risk a second trial. He could have pushed for it but he didn't. The DA eventually decided they didn't want it either given the embarrassment of how things were handled by the state in the first trial. It would have brought up old familiar embarrassing names like Mike Nifong and Freida Black. And it would have been expensive and a bit of a circus.

He took the loophole way out... The Alford plea. Nothing heroic about it.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Seems impossible to stab someone 123 times and not have any knowledge of it, but sometimes the most ridiculous stories baffle the average person to the extent that logic is absent. Michael Peterson got away with tossing a woman down the stairs 30 years ago. Even though there was too much blood in the wrong places, there was no investigation.
That's not true. There was an investigation and autopsy of the woman in Germany.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
I'm sorry but these statements don't really make sense. He didn't risk a second trial. He could have pushed for it but he didn't. The DA eventually decided they didn't want it either given the embarrassment of how things were handled by the state in the first trial. It would have brought up old familiar embarrassing names like Mike Nifong and Freida Black. And it would have been expensive and a bit of a circus.

He took the loophole way out... The Alford plea. Nothing heroic about it.
I disagree. He was adamant that he would not say the word guilty and he took 10 days in total isolation to think of what he should do. I'd imagine if I were in the same position I'd have many of the reservations MP and his attorneys did. The prosecution tried to put the screws to him the first time around, who's to say they wouldn't the second time around?

Thank God for the Alford plea. Its imperfect but it allows innocent people screwed by the justice system some semblance of justice.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I disagree. He was adamant that he would not say the word guilty and he took 10 days in total isolation to think of what he should do. I'd imagine if I were in the same position I'd have many of the reservations MP and his attorneys did. The prosecution tried to put the screws to him the first time around, who's to say they wouldn't the second time around?

Thank God for the Alford plea. Its imperfect but it allows innocent people screwed by the justice system some semblance of justice.
You do realize the Alford plea is not available in all states, right. And in some states, it's in the same category as pleading guilty, period. It often (perhaps usually) does not involve a commutation of sentencing, like it basically did for MP... even in NC. So I don't think it quite means what you think it means. It just worked for MP because he happened to have some very screwed-up individuals handling his case. No one in Durham wants to be reminded of any case Mike Nifong was involved in , on any level whatsoever. They wanted it all to go away and probably think he'll be dead soon anyway.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:19 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,421,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferg72nc View Post
I live locally, followed the trial very closely, know people who worked with Kathleen and just watched the staircase.

When the verdict was read for the first trial, I was very upset because I felt that while he was may not be innocent, I did not feel that the burden of beyond a reasonable doubt was met. But after watching the Staircase, I now believe he is actually innocent. I do not believe that a guilty man would have risked a second trial simply to avoid having to take a guilty plea. I think that only an truly innocent person would have absolutely refused a Guilty plea, especially at his age and knowing that no matter what he said or did that most people would think he was guilty.

I agree with a lot of this. I was also shocked he was convicted in the initial trial. I didn't believe that he was necessarily innocent, but I absolutely thought there was reasonable doubt and too many unanswered questions.

Apparently the people who made the documentary were also stunned when he was convicted. They were French, and the purpose of the film was actually not a "who done it", but was intended to show how the US justice system works. Not very well, was their opinion!

He never did a second trial, so I assume you mis-wrote there. But it was very interesting that the Judge from the first trial admitted that he was in error in allowing the German death and the sexuality/computer stuff into the trial, as it was so prejudicial. I can't imagine that a Southern jury at that time was very happy to hear about his sexuality.... And even the judge clearly said that he thought there was reasonable doubt and that if there was a second trial Peterson would get off. That is really a powerful admission.

Old 06-26-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
But it was very interesting that the Judge from the first trial admitted that he was in error in allowing the German death and the sexuality/computer stuff into the trial, as it was so prejudicial. I can't imagine that a Southern jury at that time was very happy to hear about his sexuality.... And even the judge clearly said that he thought there was reasonable doubt and that if there was a second trial Peterson would get off. That is really a powerful admission.
I love how everyone points out how messed up the DA (who eventually became a judge) was, and understands the incompetence of the system in Durham at least to some extent, but what *this* judge says in a surprising confessional to the cameras is completely accepted as pure gold.

I would take what Judge Orlando Hudson says with a huge grain of salt. He used to be a DA in that same system. He's talking to the camera (again, something I find shocking) with the whole thing in his rearview mirror and his comments could have been edited (again, a good reason for a judge to remain professional and appear impartial).

ETA: He has his own history with sensationalism.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:15 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,866,237 times
The Germany thing should not have been introduced as it's not relevant but I would argue the sexual/affair stuff is. It speaks to possible motivation. Example; She finds out and because it's rather taboo that becomes a threat to him. That's very strong motivation for all sorts of actions.

Wanted to add on the owl theory. That would happen outside. So how does Michael not hear that? It would be massively loud especially considering the damage done. It's not logical that he wouldn't hear something.

Last edited by JonasW; 06-26-2018 at 09:51 AM..

Old 06-26-2018, 12:31 PM

7,490 posts, read 4,969,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
The Germany thing should not have been introduced as it's not relevant but I would argue the sexual/affair stuff is. It speaks to possible motivation. Example; She finds out and because it's rather taboo that becomes a threat to him. That's very strong motivation for all sorts of actions.

Wanted to add on the owl theory. That would happen outside. So how does Michael not hear that? It would be massively loud especially considering the damage done. It's not logical that he wouldn't hear something.
My understanding of the "owl theory" is that Kathleen was walking up or down the back stairs when an owl swooped down and attacked her, causing her to fall and crash a couple of times and eventually bleed to death at the bottom of the stairs.

Perhaps this was a great horned owl with a wingspan of 4-5 feet, or a barn owl with a wingspan of 4 feet? Wasn't the back stairwell a narrow staircase, closer to 3 feet? My impression is that the entire owl theory is based on trying to find and excuse for the 7 injuries to her head. It certainly makes more sense that she would be attacked by an owl outside, but that isn't Michael's story.

Given that her hair was in her hands, it seems more likely that maybe Michael was yanking her around by her hair and she was hanging onto her hair so it would not be ripped out.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:27 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,514,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
My understanding of the "owl theory" is that Kathleen was walking up or down the back stairs when an owl swooped down and attacked her, causing her to fall and crash a couple of times and eventually bleed to death at the bottom of the stairs.

Perhaps this was a great horned owl with a wingspan of 4-5 feet, or a barn owl with a wingspan of 4 feet? Wasn't the back stairwell a narrow staircase, closer to 3 feet? My impression is that the entire owl theory is based on trying to find and excuse for the 7 injuries to her head. It certainly makes more sense that she would be attacked by an owl outside, but that isn't Michael's story.

Given that her hair was in her hands, it seems more likely that maybe Michael was yanking her around by her hair and she was hanging onto her hair so it would not be ripped out.

The stairs were inside the house. If an owl flew into the house, attacked a woman, then found its way back out, I guarantee there would be a lot of feathers found, and not just microscopic ones.

The way I understand it, the theory is that the owl attack happened outside in the front yard of the house and KP fought it off then ran inside and tried to go upstairs at which time she fell causing a ton of blood spatter everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime