Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM

7,639 posts, read 8,711,366 times

Advertisements

Who, as far as you know? Anyone beats Richard Lee McNair?

He was a sergeant in the Air Force. I'm curious what turned him into a robber and murderer. Three phenomenal escapes. The most creative one is hiding in mail bags with breathing tube

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Lee_McNair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y86CofCpuTY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBrnBmUmVzI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM

928 posts, read 970,152 times
Alcatraz escape was a long, well planned escape. I give this number one of all time.

Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
El Chapo

Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM

77 posts, read 50,183 times
I thought about this for some time. Like ezrider62 my mind quickly went to the genius of Frank Morris and The escape from Alcatraz but then I thought of: Roger Bushell and The great Escape in which 76 POWs escaped, 3 made it to freedom, 73 recaptured and 50 executed.

Both escapes were marvels of ingenuity but the great escape required coordination of so many disciplines and what stands out besides engineering feat was the intelligence gathering and bribery of German prion guards. So, the great escape gets the nod from me.

Old Today, 01:00 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,184 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Who, as far as you know? Anyone beats Richard Lee McNair?

He was a sergeant in the Air Force. I'm curious what turned him into a robber and murderer. Three phenomenal escapes. The most creative one is hiding in mail bags with breathing tube

In the UK, one of the famous postwar prison escapees was Walter "Angel Face" Probyn Walter "Angel Face" Probyn , who notched up 16 escapes from different penal institutions, winning himself th nickname of "the Hoxton Houdini".

In HMP Durham's Maximum Security Wing, he met up with the armed robber John McVicar, and in 1968 they took part in one of the most spectacular escapes, which was later made in to film McVicar, starring Roger Daltrey (The Who) as John McVicar and Adam Faith as Probyn.

Some other notorious prisoners were also featured in the film including Charlie Richardson (Ronnie in the film) a well known London Gangster who was played by Steven Berkoff and child murderer John Straffen (Streaky Jeffries in the film).

Straffen who was played by played by Matthew Scurfield in the film, had learning disabilities and who had previous killed a further child after escaping from Broadmoor High Security Hospital, causing the hospital to install a vast air raid style alarm system that could be heard for tens of miles around the facility. Also featured was Ian Brady (Cody in the film), another notorious child murderer who was played by Michael Feast.

Last edited by Brave New World; Today at 01:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime