Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 07:45 AM

5,343 posts, read 3,212,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2501 View Post
Destroying evidence and arson are both generally graded as felonies
I think the point the OP was making was this...assume someone came to your house and you shot them point blank. Problem is that your security footage picked up the crime. Days later you get wind that the police want to review your surveillance footage so you destroy any trace.

The gist is you'd rather face a sentence for destruction of evidence than murder.

If I'm reading the question correctly...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 08:29 PM

63 posts, read 23,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
I think the point the OP was making was this...assume someone came to your house and you shot them point blank. Problem is that your security footage picked up the crime. Days later you get wind that the police want to review your surveillance footage so you destroy any trace.

The gist is you'd rather face a sentence for destruction of evidence than murder.

I think you're reading it correctly, and the OP has raised a valid point. In many instances, like your example, it would actually be advantageous to destroy evidence and risk an obstruction charge rather than allow that evidence to be used against you.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:09 AM

108 posts, read 120,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhitp View Post
I think you're reading it correctly, and the OP has raised a valid point. In many instances, like your example, it would actually be advantageous to destroy evidence and risk an obstruction charge rather than allow that evidence to be used against you.
You are both precisely right. And I'm wondering how lawyers or police or people in general deal with this. There are situations where you just know someone did something, but you need the proof. And if they destroy the evidence, that seems like proof in itself to me, but the could feign an accident or whatever. Tough situation to deal with.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:36 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripBro View Post
You are both precisely right. And I'm wondering how lawyers or police or people in general deal with this. There are situations where you just know someone did something, but you need the proof. And if they destroy the evidence, that seems like proof in itself to me, but the could feign an accident or whatever. Tough situation to deal with.

It depends on whether the destroyer had reason to know the evidence would be valuable to an investigation. If a reasonable person would have or should have known that, the destruction of evidence would likely be looked at as strong evidence of guilt.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:53 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
It depends on whether the destroyer had reason to know the evidence would be valuable to an investigation. If a reasonable person would have or should have known that, the destruction of evidence would likely be looked at as strong evidence of guilt.
As long as you destroy all your old security tapes, you can say this was your regular routine. You only keep them for a few weeks then tape over them. And you only tape over them so many times before you destroy them due to declining quality. So this was destroyed because that's what you always do.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
As long as you destroy all your old security tapes, you can say this was your regular routine. You only keep them for a few weeks then tape over them. And you only tape over them so many times before you destroy them due to declining quality. So this was destroyed because that's what you always do.

And that would work, if it can't be shown that you had reason to think that law enforcement or civil court would want to see that. If you erased a murder tape, aint nobody gonna believe you didn't know.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:35 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,157,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
And that would work, if it can't be shown that you had reason to think that law enforcement or civil court would want to see that. If you erased a murder tape, aint nobody gonna believe you didn't know.
"I don't watch the tapes unless I noticed something happened on my property. I didn't notice anything broken or missing or anything unusual, and that tape was worn, so I went ahead and destroyed it on schedule."

Now that wouldn't work if they found a body within view of your camera the next day, but since you know you have a camera, you'd be stupid to leave any visible evidence that would attract attention. Make sure the body is hidden well enough that the police don't find it. They won't start their missing persons investigation for the obligatory 72 hours (I think it is). And hopefully they don't get around to finding the body or interviewing you for a few weeks.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:59 PM

[quote=LeeHoLee;57696880]"I don't watch the tapes unless I noticed something happened on my property. I didn't notice anything broken or missing or anything unusual, and that tape was worn, so I went ahead and destroyed it on schedule."

Again, if the person would have or should have had reason to know....playing stupid will not work if the person would have or should have had reason to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime