Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 12:36 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
The aftermath of Adam Walsh turned us into a country of informers. Right or wrong, we became a country of watching each other, telling on each other, right or wrong.
I disagree. Adam's father, John Walsh, was a founder of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, and later, became host of "America’s Most Wanted," a show that has since assisted with law enforcement officials being able to track down hundreds of fugitives.

For a lot of us, Adam Walsh's abduction was the first time we realized that a world in which children could play unsupervised--the way many of us had grown up--no longer existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2022, 12:44 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I disagree. Adam's father, John Walsh, was a founder of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, and later, became host of "America’s Most Wanted," a show that has since assisted with law enforcement officials being able to track down hundreds of fugitives.
Call them as I see them....but leave it to horse races here.
Quote:

For a lot of us, Adam Walsh's abduction was the first time we realized that a world in which children could play unsupervised--the way many of us had grown up--no longer existed.
Well, where the hell were you when Dean Corll (just as an example) was around?

Without getting into it too much, this is the world I deal with where something happens and the public thinks it is something new....but it is really years old, like 9-11 but what were people thinking in the decades before after Dawson's Field.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 03-20-2022 at 12:53 PM..

Old 03-20-2022, 03:37 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post

Oba Chandler-crime occurred in 1989. I had his execution date written on my calendar and I celebrated that day after I confirmed he was dead. I would have willingly pulled the switch to fry this guy. A mother and her 2 daughters.
Not a fan of the death penalty, but I didn't shed any tears over this one.

Cheshire home invasion.

Old 03-20-2022, 04:27 PM

145 posts, read 79,753 times
Murder of Dan Broderick and his wife. His ex wife killed then both.

Old 03-20-2022, 06:00 PM

Andrea Yates

Old 03-20-2022, 07:31 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,321,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

My shelves are still loaded with real crime paper backs. Some, were required reading like Green River while others were support to that like Dahlmer and maybe Bundy...
I read the Green River book long before the perp was caught.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
...For a lot of us, Adam Walsh's abduction was the first time we realized that a world in which children could play unsupervised--the way many of us had grown up--no longer existed.
I used to go wherever I wanted in the tract development I grew up in, including a couple of wooded areas next to it. That was quite some time ago.

Old 03-21-2022, 12:37 AM

22,839 posts, read 6,435,820 times
JonBenet Ramsey

Living in Colorado I wonder if this case will ever be solved.

Old 03-21-2022, 01:56 AM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Ann Rule's book ( and later the televison movie with a mesmerizing Farrah Fawcett ) Small Sacrifices.
Diane Downs shot her three beautiful children because her new boyfriend did not want kids . The testimony
by her surviving daughter is heartbreaking.
I couldn't rep you just yet, but yes; the Diane Downs case has haunted me since i innocently picked up a copy of "Small Sacrifices" at a 7-11, while picking up a cup of coffee after the graveyard shift at a psych hospital. My plan to save the coffee for after my nap until 1PM was destroyed.

The thought of reading myself to sleep, was quashed. I was completely drawn into the story and pathology of Diane Downs, her gift for self-reinvention and manipulation. A former aspiring missionary and Sunday school teacher, a surrogate mother, who attempted to start her own surrogacy agency, a postal worker, a high school honor student, By all accounts an intelligent woman who, when intent of having something - made it happen.

She is indeed, a complex, compelling and convoluted woman. Ann Rule's book, brought all if this together. I read it for about 2 days strait.

Also, Susan Smith's drowning murder in South Carolina, of her three innocent little boys. The manner and method of death was just so unbelievably cruel. How could she EVER watch her car sink located with her three kids? I was trying desperately to conceive a second child at that time. My son was a bit younger than the youngest Smith boys.
It all really hit home.

Old 03-21-2022, 06:39 AM

97 posts, read 250,132 times
Amy Mihaljevic

This little girl was abducted in a quiet Cleveland suburb, just minutes from where I live. As a mother of young children at the time, it really struck a nerve and still does today as it is an unsolved murder.

Old 03-21-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I couldn't rep you just yet, but yes; the Diane Downs case has haunted me since i innocently picked up a copy of "Small Sacrifices" at a 7-11, while picking up a cup of coffee after the graveyard shift at a psych hospital. My plan to save the coffee for after my nap until 1PM was destroyed.

The thought of reading myself to sleep, was quashed. I was completely drawn into the story and pathology of Diane Downs, her gift for self-reinvention and manipulation. A former aspiring missionary and Sunday school teacher, a surrogate mother, who attempted to start her own surrogacy agency, a postal worker, a high school honor student, By all accounts an intelligent woman who, when intent of having something - made it happen.

She is indeed, a complex, compelling and convoluted woman. Ann Rule's book, brought all if this together. I read it for about 2 days strait.

Also, Susan Smith's drowning murder in South Carolina, of her three innocent little boys. The manner and method of death was just so unbelievably cruel. How could she EVER watch her car sink located with her three kids? I was trying desperately to conceive a second child at that time. My son was a bit younger than the youngest Smith boys.
It all really hit home.
Susan Smith had 2 sons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime