Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 07:43 PM

928 posts, read 959,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Actually it was the VPD and the RCMP. Pickton lived and had his farm in Coquitlam, a separate jurisdiction from Vancouver. They use the RCMP as their city police force.

Both got criticized in the review.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...lice-1.1191108
They sure did! Huge dirty laundry list. Sounds like a well-deserved one too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 05:30 PM

17,387 posts, read 14,938,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Excellent sleuthing, Labonte. Lori's family must be very grateful someone took the time to further the search for her. Police often get overwhelmed with newer cases, the older ones slide to the end of the line. It's not right but it does happen.

Great job doing that.

Oh yeah.. Debbie is as sweet as can be.. They seem like really great people. Most I can say as I've never actually met them. We've talked on the phone when I was at the cemetery and as I mentioned, we are friends on facebook and always shoot a "Hello" message back and forth around July and Christmas. Just seeing how everything is going with each other. We both keep in mind, if we're ever in the others neck of the woods, we'll have to meet in person. But, they're in Ohio as I recall and I'm in SC..

I try to tiptoe the line, because.. While I don't know ALL the details.. I know far more than they have said and.. I don't want to say things that they don't want out there... Obviously.. I don't think it's any great surprise that the death was drug related. If you go searching on some of the missing persons site, her case is still there, marked as solved. And.. you can see some of the other info regarding this case.. Specifically about her marrying someone.. Who also 100% deserves a butt-ton of scorn for his behavior in all this.. Shortly before she passed.

That guy.. It's tough to say whether I despise the cops of that guy more.. Both of them had the solution in the palm of their hands and did NOTHING. And left this poor family wondering for many years.

But also.. You'll see some other junior mint sleuths (I count myself in that description as well) with some of their theories.. And basically every one of them was looking at the husband. an obvious place to start.. And while he was and still seems to be a truly despicable human being.. He wasn't responsible for her death. He WAS responsible for her remaining missing for 25-someodd years. If he had said the last place he saw her.. Boom. Solved in 10 seconds.

This.. Influences me whenever I talk about any cases on here. If you read up on this case. Your mind WILL go to the husband. But.. It's why you REALLY have to keep an open mind. "Forest for the trees" and the like. If you're familiar with the Adam Hecht case.. I have.. An unpopular opinion on that. Or Gordon Page, Jr. Or .. Katherine Korzilius.. I'll include links on those cases at the end.

The other thing.. And, again, i don't think i'm betraying any confidences here.. Lori was.. flighty.. It wasn't unusual for there to be no contact for an extended time. I know many people look at this, because.. If you dig down, she wasn't reported missing until her mother passed away, which was.. QUITE a number of years after they last heard from her. I think Debbie even mentions that in the video. Some families, some people.. That's.. Not necessarily a highly unusual thing.

A funny thing? We've basically solved the Walter Rice case that I was originally looking for as well. I had nothing to do with it, so.. by 'we' I mean the solution was posted over at sitcomsonline.com and.. Is just about as stupid as Lori's case. Long story short, Walter Rice was a cousin of the baseball player Jim Rice.

https://unsolvedmysteries.fandom.com/wiki/Adam_Hecht

https://unsolvedmysteries.fandom.com...Gordon_Page_Jr.

https://unsolvedmysteries.fandom.com...rine_Korzilius

https://unsolvedmysteries.fandom.com...of_Walter_Rice

Old 03-23-2023, 10:16 PM

19,109 posts, read 16,495,540 times
Nice follow-up, Labonte. You and your group of "junior mint sleuths" are valuable. I think sometimes those investigating a case are too close to it and have tunnel vision, i.e., you mentioning the spouse being #1 suspect. And while it is usually the case, it's not always so it's good to have, as you say, an open mind. Not everything is as it appears. A good reason why many people are behind bars, convicted of crimes they didn't commit.

Discretion is the better part of valor, too. Tip of the hat to you for remaining silent on things you know that others don't. I will look at your links. I always enjoy reading crime cases. Good luck with your next investigation. Solve enough of those cases and you might be getting a job offer.

Old 03-28-2023, 07:54 PM

8,852 posts, read 5,322,017 times
The Collier County Sheriff's Department of the state of Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7U1-j4WSs4

Old 03-29-2023, 10:27 AM

1,703 posts, read 1,086,097 times
People would be appalled if they knew the extent of corruption that exists in North American policing.

The rest of the globe understands this, IMO North America is content to allow police to give them a facade of law and order.

Don't believe everything you see on TV or in movies....

Old 03-29-2023, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
People would be appalled if they knew the extent of corruption that exists in North American policing.

The rest of the globe understands this, IMO North America is content to allow police to give them a facade of law and order.

Don't believe everything you see on TV or in movies....

I won't use the word corruption because I don't think that's right. Are there 'dirty' cops? Yes. Are there lazy cops? Absolutely. Power hungry cops? Yep. But.. The vast majority are good people.

Just.. I know we're going off on something of a tangent here.. But has anyone seen or read about the college athlete who was stopped by a cop who accused him of being drunk.. He got out, did all the tests perfectly, then blew a 0.00.

Then the cop starts asking him when he smoked weed.

The cop wanted to arrest him, and made up a reason to do so.

It was in Iowa, I remember because it was in Newton where the racetrack is.

https://www.newtondailynews.com/news...or-defamation/

read that.. Search for some of the youtube videos on it. I believe a channel called The Civil Rights Lawyer did a video on it.

That should 1000% be enough to tick ANYONE off. I'm shocked that the cop didn't claim that he was more sensitive than a drug test.

Old 03-31-2023, 11:32 AM

63 posts, read 69,164 times
It’s not a case of a repeat offender that I’m thinking of (AFAIK) but boy, does the abduction of Jennifer Kesse come to mind. The Orlando police botched that case so badly, even admitting from the getgo that they did not think a crime had been committed. So many witnesses not interviewed, so many leads not followed up on. They stubbornly insisted that they were actively working on the case for years and years and it was later revealed that nothing at all had been done for something like a decade. Awful. This one has always seemed like a solvable one had it been properly handled by LE.

Old 03-31-2023, 05:23 PM

We might be adding one here.. Hampton County, SC

If the persons of interest are responsible.. The stepfather of one of them apparently called investigators to report his stepson.. and they did nothing.

Sorry.. This is regarding the Stephen Smith murder that Buster Murdaugh has generally been accused of. And.. Buster is not one of the POI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime