Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2023, 03:50 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I have an experience happening locally that I don't have an outlet anywhere else to discuss. And I am going to try to discuss the impacts of the "True Crime as Entertainment" hobby, without discussing the particulars of the case that is happening here, because that is what is bothering me... I don't want to add to the gossip, I want to figure out how to feel about it.

A neighbor is missing, and he appears to have disappeared without leaving a trace of evidence about what happened. He had a wife and a couple kids from that marriage, and a couple older kids from a previous marriage. I knew him, and his wife, from neighborly interactions.... not real well but "stop and chat" well if we met on the road... They'd been over a couple times . That's it.

What I want to talk about and form a coherent opinion about is the apparent popularity for people, to look for and follow True Crime stories and missing person threads on Social Media, whether they live nearby or not (there's some of both).

When he first went missing, a facebook group was formed, I think by his eldest daughters. It grew quickly to 4000+ people and just as quickly became a place to try to pick apart everything anyone said and personally solve the "crime". They have gone through social media history, news articles, private messages, and each others' posts, and debated and speculated on every little detail and family drama they can find... and there's a lot of drama to pick apart! When one facebook group became too activist, another was formed, now there's two that attack each other.

I've seen and even participated in unsolved crime discussions before on forums, but I don't think I've ever participated in a place where the actual close family members ARE or seen how it affects them, and the local peace when things like this happen. It's hellish, honestly.

And my complaint about the phenomenon is it doesn't even really stop with the facebook group, they've actually taken it upon themselves to contact law enforcement and comment on articles or demand to know the contents of people's phones, or demand to be able to search wherever they want on other people's property. They think they have the right to know what's happening in the investigation.

It's a hobby to follow true crime, but has it become more than that for some people who think they're actually a part of the investigation?

I will say in our case, I have NO idea what happened to the man, and I do realize spouses are often the primary suspect in foul play, but what these communities are putting the wife through with little real evidence is cruel, IMHO. And that's what brings me to post the question for discussion. I understand the curiosity, in our community and maybe beyond. True Crime is interesting... but I can't imagine trying to use social media to help find my husband while having everything I say picked apart. And now the two groups are so combative many people, myself included, are reluctant to participate. How often do these true crime hobbyists actually interfere with the actual investigation.

What do people think about these issues? Has anyone else had something like this happen close to home and been through this?

(Posting this and then I have to go out.... I will be back to hopefully respond to good discussion later!)
I've never heard of this phenomenon. It's probably not a good idea, since if the man was harmed in some way, the perp could become a member of the online group and spread misinformation or just glory in the fame.

If they formed a special group, I suppose the family could ask the admins/mods to disband it as distressing to the family and interference with the investigation. Maybe the family wants it, since a tip or two might be passed along, some bit of new information. Or maybe people just disregard it as a group of people with no lives of their own. I'd guess the police monitor it, in case something sounds promising or odd enough to ask questions about.

If the family is okay with it, that's the main thing.

As for the man who disappeared, most husbands/fathers who disappear left on their own, abandoning their families, from what I've heard. But if it's the wife/mother who disappear, I think stats show she's been killed, usu. by the hubby/boyfriend.

Old 04-30-2023, 06:42 PM

2,627 posts, read 1,170,699 times
Some of those shows/episodes help me see where the crazy murderer, serial killer went to attempt the crime and helps me see how important it is to be careful of who we associate with.

I have seen two that I met years ago and I thank God I am not so trusting that I would become another one of their victims.

When watching the Netflix about Dahmer I saw so many red flags his own Father ignored it was shocking how that man just ignored what could have been done to help his son and save so many lives. And seeing how easily trusting those men were with complete strangers that they would go into his apartment without a thought to their own safety or what he could be.

Also seeing how young girls just trust the that the person they are conversing with in a chat room without a camera to see them live or on a message board. They think they have a potential boyfriend and end up meeting the filthy predator or that filth comes to her home and murders her.

Those shows to me are not entertainment they serve as lessons to never forget and teach at any age.

Old 05-01-2023, 12:09 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I think the issue is not just FB, but that a lot of podcasters (or even documentary/YouTube creators) get way too involved. Now it’s true that many will create a podcast based on their own experience. Maybe they had a friend go missing, get murdered, or had something else befall them that was worthy of a podcast. That makes sense, but then they may do a second, third, fourth or even 20th season and it seems like as the podcasts/shows continue, the creators seem to lose the plot and end up haranguing workers at police stations, trying to get the FBI involved, etc. Not all do this. I have occasionally listened to one podcast where the host lost his daughter and I think he’s much more about having people tell their stories AND give listeners resources or discussions from professionals. That’s far more productive to me than just telling a fantastic story and not providing much of value to the listener.
It's about money. These Youtube grifters ooze out of the proverbial woodwork because they get paid by ad revenue — the more views, the more they can make. That's why the claims often become more and more outrageous; they're clickbait, and those making them neither know nor care if they're related to the truth in any way. The entire Idaho murders thread here was full of that sort of ridiculous nonsense.

Old 05-01-2023, 02:07 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It's about money. These Youtube grifters ooze out of the proverbial woodwork because they get paid by ad revenue — the more views, the more they can make. That's why the claims often become more and more outrageous; they're clickbait, and those making them neither know nor care if they're related to the truth in any way. The entire Idaho murders thread here was full of that sort of ridiculous nonsense.
Exactly. And extra $$$ if they stoke the fear chord in their listeners. There's $ to be made and clicks to be had by making people fearful of everything around the corner.

Old 05-01-2023, 02:10 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Quote:
It's about money. These YouTube grifters ooze out of the proverbial woodwork because they get paid by ad revenue — the more views, the more they can make. That's why the claims often become more and more outrageous; they're clickbait, and those making them neither know nor care if they're related to the truth in any way. The entire Idaho murders thread here was full of that sort of ridiculous nonsense.
Yes, I have a few good ones I watch, usually retired law enforcement. What I've noticed is that the ones I watch get fewer views than the sensationalistic ones - of course.

There was one guy who latched on to the Idaho incident; he was particularly bad. I hit "Don't Recommend Channel" on that one.

Old 05-01-2023, 05:57 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:

Its partly about money I'm sure, but it seems to me a lot of the wackos really believe they are smart sleuthers. It's a wing of the growing anti-expert culture of people who get their superior education and training by surfing the web.

Old 05-01-2023, 07:20 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
It happens regularly, and it's sickening. Two recent examples are the Idaho coed murders and the Kiely Rodni case and (can't recall her name) the woman who went missing walking her dog in England, where true crime hobbyists actually showed up knocking on doors. OK 3 examples. Then there's the nobody who took it upon himself to gather DNA from someone who he suspects in the Jon Benet Ramsey case. Nothing has come of that.

Is that not interfering with a police investigation? Could they not be arrested for that? Its one thing coming up with theories online. But quite another to take an active role and talk to potential witnesses.

Old 05-01-2023, 07:23 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Its partly about money I'm sure, but it seems to me a lot of the wackos really believe they are smart sleuthers. It's a wing of the growing anti-expert culture of people who get their superior education and training by surfing the web.
True. One of the worst things about the internet. Its like the "I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express" commercial. But instead its I watched a youtube video about this last night. I figured this out.

Old 05-01-2023, 08:40 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Is that not interfering with a police investigation? Could they not be arrested for that? Its one thing coming up with theories online. But quite another to take an active role and talk to potential witnesses.

Law Enforcement warned people in the Idaho case that they could be charged if they didn't stop it

Old 05-02-2023, 08:11 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Yet they won't do anything about Nancy Grace who parked herself in front of the house and added nothing to the story or the investigation (for those who have and do follow it closely).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime