Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 02:44 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - California parole officials on Tuesday considered releasing a follower of Charles Manson who is dying of brain cancer, but the governor and others said her decades-old crimes were too brutal for her to be shown such mercy.

Dying Manson follower considered for release - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 03:12 PM

439 posts, read 1,232,498 times
She helped slaughter innocent people, she should stay in prison. Dont you think Tate and everyone else that died would rather have benn allowed to live? So why should she get out just because she is dying. If they let her outI would hope they would appeal or over turn that. She needs to die in prison with the rest of her scum bag friends.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:20 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
She should stay in prison. But this alarms me...let her die...

Quote:
Corrections Department spokeswoman Terry Thornton says Atkins' medical treatment has cost state taxpayers more than $1.4 million since March.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:47 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,207 times
Has she even shown any remorse at all? The fact that she was bothered that a pregnant woman was pleading for her life so she slaughtered her and her unborn child is sickening. As far as I know, she's still a Manson follower and hasn't even denounced him. Even if she did there isn't anything she can do to bring those people back. Frankly, the parole board should show her about as much mercy as she showed Sharon Tate. The only problem is how much money her treatment is costing.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:40 PM

336 posts, read 697,940 times
Boo hoo...the only sad thing is that she got to live for over 40 years after taking the lives of
innocent people....

Old 10-12-2008, 12:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
I don't believe in punishment solely for the sake of punishment. If he is not a danger to society, why should he be locked away?

Old 10-12-2008, 12:52 PM

336 posts, read 697,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't believe in punishment solely for the sake of punishment. If he is not a danger to society, why should he be locked away?
First off, it's a she....and why??? You have got to be kidding...right?
you are either too young to even know who these people were...or
you have been living in a box and think it's okay for murderers to be
set free...sheesh!

Old 10-12-2008, 01:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri722 View Post
First off, it's a she....and why??? You have got to be kidding...right?
you are either too young to even know who these people were...or
you have been living in a box and think it's okay for murderers to be
set free...sheesh!
First. the link was broken and the identity of the person was not in the OP. And my opinion does not depend on exactly who the person is.

Second, I am ten years older than Susan Atkins, and was working as a reporter and TV news anchor at the time of the manson murders, so I am quite aware of the times and the events.

Third, yes, I think it is OK for all persons who are a low risk to endanger society to be set free. I do not derive any onanistic pleasure from fantasies about human beings being held in gulags for their entire natural lives.

I do not know Susan Atkins, so I do not know if I would like her or not. She can live next door to me if the wants to, but I hope she keeps hr music turned down and doesn't have a barking dog.

Old 10-12-2008, 03:02 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,921,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
First. the link was broken and the identity of the person was not in the OP. And my opinion does not depend on exactly who the person is.

Second, I am ten years older than Susan Atkins, and was working as a reporter and TV news anchor at the time of the manson murders, so I am quite aware of the times and the events.

Third, yes, I think it is OK for all persons who are a low risk to endanger society to be set free. I do not derive any onanistic pleasure from fantasies about human beings being held in gulags for their entire natural lives.

I do not know Susan Atkins, so I do not know if I would like her or not. She can live next door to me if the wants to, but I hope she keeps hr music turned down and doesn't have a barking dog.
Would you free Charlie if you had the power to do so?

Old 10-12-2008, 03:20 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,322 times
Generally speaking I am not a vengeful person...I do vividly recall the Court room pictures of Manson and his followers, especially the women, coming into Court, when they shaved their heads, when they all included that 'interesting' design -sarcastic- on their foreheads; as if they were in Court for a traffiic ticket...anyone who has read any of my postings knows I refer, frequently, to accountability and its importance, at least in my opinion.

Being able to 'come home' because of a serious illness, to me, reflects caring, support, love, and peace. I must admit I have a difficult time equating those terms with her. Perhaps if there had been a smidgen of possible remorse, I might be more willing to consider the possibility however, can't do it in this case. "Helter-skelter" ... who cannot remember how egregious those crimes were....horrible. Nope, I can't say I would give this woman a get out of jail card even now. Free Charlie, not on your life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime