Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:53 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Greenwood...most of the cops are bad? I contend that cops are people..and with that you have good and bad. If most cops are bad...most ever profession is full of bad people then. Dont be fooled by the stories that make news....they are the exception not the rule.
Actually the police force tends to attract a certain type. Not all cops fit that mold, but you will have a larger share of arrogant power hungry corrupt types that have no real power in life so they like the comfort of a badge. Its like politics. Of course not all politicians are evil, but it certainly does attract a certain egocentric narcissistic power hungry type as well. Like Gov. Bogoyjevich from Chicago..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 12:04 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Yes I agree that some professiona attract certian types...and I agree that there is more of a propensity for mroe cops to be bad than the average profession..but the assertion that MOST cops are bad based on???? I have to disagree with 100%..if that were the case..this city would be in far worse shape and would never have recovered at all from the 70s.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:10 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
More police brutality:

In the Fordham-Bedford neighborhood of the Bronx, a police officer shot and killed a man for refusing to put down a baseball bat he was holding. That is over the line IMO. They could have shot him in the legs, but no, they decided to end his life.

"Alex Figueroa, a 40-year-old Latino male (shown with family, photo from Daily News), was shot to death by a police officer Tuesday night after police say Figueroa raised a bat as if to strike the plainclothes officer, according to stories in the Daily News, NY Post, and NY Times. "

The Murder Book 2008 (http://tacomaconfidential.typepad.com/the_murder_book_2008/ - broken link)

It's under investigation.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:19 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Actually the police force tends to attract a certain type. Not all cops fit that mold, but you will have a larger share of arrogant power hungry corrupt types that have no real power in life so they like the comfort of a badge. Its like politics. Of course not all politicians are evil, but it certainly does attract a certain egocentric narcissistic power hungry type as well. Like Gov. Bogoyjevich from Chicago..
Right on, sweetie!

Old 12-12-2008, 01:23 PM

Well thats not the whole story of course...somebody called in a report of a man with a gun, so they arrived thinking they were entering a situation with a "crazed guy with a gun." However, as a result of the continued lies, bullying, and deceit by the NYPD, I will gladly take the word of the witnesses rather than the cops....and from what I read the cops shot him with his bat DOWN. Nonetheless, the shooting was over the top and unnecessary as far as I am concerend, then again..I wasn't there so who really knows. I will take the version of the witnesses 100% as truth...the NYPD have proven themselves as corrupt, conniving, and vile.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:23 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,160,431 times
There is corruption everywhere; For every bad cop there are a thousand+ good ones. Sadly, these things happen and they are handled accordingly by authorities. It's a shame someone is hurt in the process, however, it was that person whom was hurt that was brave enough to step forward and prevent it from happening in the future. So while that person is a victim, he is also a survivor and a hero.

My heart goes out to the victim and his family-

Michele

"Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend."
Martin Luther King, Jr.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:39 PM

ImCurly....unfortunately what happens by "handled accordingly" is that the NYPD lie in court papers, on the witness stand, plant evidence, and intimidate/threaten witnesses..which is why I will take the witnesses statements as 100% truth...whatever that may be.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:44 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,160,431 times
You're right Sobroguy- I shouldn't make any excuses or give out free passes.

What a beautiful place it would be if we could all go about our business in harmony, and rely on law enforcement to help us, and not violate us ... Truly heartbreaking indeed.

Michele

Old 12-14-2008, 07:22 PM

67 posts, read 308,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
More police brutality:

In the Fordham-Bedford neighborhood of the Bronx, a police officer shot and killed a man for refusing to put down a baseball bat he was holding. That is over the line IMO. They could have shot him in the legs, but no, they decided to end his life.

"Alex Figueroa, a 40-year-old Latino male (shown with family, photo from Daily News), was shot to death by a police officer Tuesday night after police say Figueroa raised a bat as if to strike the plainclothes officer, according to stories in the Daily News, NY Post, and NY Times. "

The Murder Book 2008 (http://tacomaconfidential.typepad.com/the_murder_book_2008/ - broken link)

It's under investigation.
Shooting someone in the legs to counter deadly physical force is not taught in any police academy in the country. A baseball bat to the head can kill me, why should I worry about trying to hit the guy in the legs? It's a smaller area and in a stressful situation VERY hard to hit. If I'm going to die on the job, it won't be while worrying about being politically correct.

It's pretty fair to say that you have no firearms or tactical training. If you're going to judge police tactics, please have a background to base your opinion on.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:24 PM

341 posts, read 902,710 times
This is totally depraved. What a sick bunch. Hope they get the maximum 25yrs. They deserve every second of it and more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime