Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:43 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
I've been following this story loosely so maybe you know more facts than I do, but I did read this:

Los Angeles Police Seek Reality Show Star Ryan Alexander Jenkins In Death Of Model Jasmine Fiore - cbs5.com (http://cbs5.com/national/Jasmine.Fiore.missing.2.1134803.html - broken link)

I don't know what issues she faced in her life, but she seems like a more complex person than just some skanky gold digger. Honestly, I don't care what she did, the woman was stuffed in a suit case without her teeth and fingers. She could have been a prostitute with every STD under the sun and hooked on drugs, I don't care, no one deserves an end like that. This woman also has family and friends that love her, they should not have to see her life end like that either.
She didn't deserve to die but her lifestyle (and poor life choices) put her in the situation where she was likely to suffer violently by playing the games she did with the wrong person.

I am also annoyed because another young woman (aspiring model) who was also murdered around the same time as Jasmine Fiore has not received anywhere near the same media coverage.

I am in Los Angeles so I have heard both stories but a much heavier volume is given to the Fiore/Jenkins story and the other girl is treated as a short byline. The other aspiring model just happened to be a young Black woman, Ashley Nicole Lilly. So where is the international manhunt for her killer?

This scenario is repeated over and over. Two young women are missing, murdered, etc - one White, one Black. Guess which story always gets national media coverage?

Missing white woman syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In addition to the greater local and national media coverage - Jasmine Fiore's background was "sanitizing" to make her story more sympathetic. If it didn't matter that she was a stripper, a gold digger or was paid by Vegas hotels as a "atmosphere" then why not state those facts in the news coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 07:55 PM

507 posts, read 678,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
She didn't deserve to die but her lifestyle (and poor life choices) put her in the situation where she was likely to suffer violently by playing the games she did with the wrong person.

I am also annoyed because another young woman (aspiring model) who was also murdered around the same time as Jasmine Fiore has not received anywhere near the same media coverage.

I am in Los Angeles so I have heard both stories but a much heavier volume is given to the Fiore/Jenkins story and the other girl is treated as a short byline. The other aspiring model just happened to be a young Black woman, Ashley Nicole Lilly. So where is the international manhunt for her killer?

This scenario is repeated over and over. Two young women are missing, murdered, etc - one White, one Black. Guess which story always gets national media coverage?

In addition to the greater local and national media coverage - Jasmine Fiore's background was "sanitizing" to make her story more sympathetic. If it didn't matter that she was a stripper, a gold digger or was paid by Vegas hotels as a "atmosphere" then why not state those facts in the news coverage.
I understand where you are coming from with the racial disparity in these cases. I'm a black female, and I have often thought about this myself, but I don't think the coverage in this case is just due to her being white and blonde. I think the main reason this was picked up was because the primary suspect was in a reality show. I also think the condition of her body added to the interest in the case.

I also don't know if her life history has been sanitized all that much. I saw the pictures of her, and I also saw that relationship commercial she did. I still don't think her personal history has anything to do with this. We all do things on a daily basis that could possibly put us in harm, but that does not mean we deserve to die. When I decided to live in a city with a higher crime rate instead of living in the suburbs, I took a risk. People risk possibly getting in an accident every time they drive. She may have taken a risk with her life, but that does not mean that others doing that same thing will suffer that same fate. I am sure she did not expect this to happen.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:17 PM

1,179 posts, read 975,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
This is what happens when you have no God in your life and your entire life is based on BS like materialism, sex, fake boobs, reality TV and other superficial crap.
A pretty empty life indeed.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:56 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
I live a pretty fantastic life without God, indeed.

I don't have to be a judgmental ahole towards others like the religious people in this thread seem to be!

Must be an empty life having to judge everyone else... to the point where you pretty much say they deserve to be murdered... I wonder... WWJD?

Old 08-25-2009, 07:12 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post

i don't deny that this happens, but in this case it's pretty obvious that the story is receiving so much publicity because the main suspect was appearing in a reality show at the time of the murder.

i mean, would you say that the murder of nicole brown simpson got so much publicity because she was white, or because she was a famous person's wife? or the murder of bonny lee bakely (robert blake's wife)?

edit: oops, 17th street already said exactly the same thing.

as for the argument that jenkins was not insane/sociopathic (assuming that he killed her), he didn't just kill her in a fit of rage, he mutilated her. that is insane.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:19 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i don't deny that this happens, but in this case it's pretty obvious that the story is receiving so much publicity because the main suspect was appearing in a reality show at the time of the murder.

i mean, would you say that the murder of nicole brown simpson got so much publicity because she was white, or because she was a famous person's wife? or the murder of bonny lee bakely (robert blake's wife)?

edit: oops, 17th street already said exactly the same thing.

as for the argument that jenkins was not insane/sociopathic (assuming that he killed her), he didn't just kill her in a fit of rage, he mutilated her. that is insane.
To answer your question, I think that Nicole Simpson's murder received the amount of attention because she was the wife (former wife) of a famous person AND she was White AND she was an attractive blonde. I seriuosly doubt that we would have seen the amount of interest and the frenzy had OJ killed his first wife (who was Black).

Why are people so in denial about this issue. When two women are missing one White and one Black - the media attention will always focus on the White victim. The Missing/Murdered White woman phenomenom is very real.

The Missing White Woman Syndrome « Abagond

CNN.com - Anderson Cooper 360° Blog (he discusses the MWWS phenomenom)

Old 08-25-2009, 10:35 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
i agree that the phenomenon is real, but the "anything a celebrity, no matter how dubious, is involved in is more important" phenomenon is real too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime